Setting up a home recording studio

Moderator: Capt. Black

Emir
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Setting up a home recording studio

Post by Emir »

Thank you all for your replies so far. TBH, I'm a bit confused and my mind is bogged already lol.

Can someone explain to me how the preamp works? It attaches through USB right, and does it run as an intermediary between your guitar and amp [much like an effects processor? Alongside this, you do have the option of recording just straight without the effects, right?

As I don't actually use effects and pedals myself, as I just like to plug straight into my amp and play.

and the # of channels allows you how many layers you can have on a track, right?

Sorry if these questions sound very basic, but it's all new to me ^^

I'm looking to record electric & acoustic guitars, percussion and possibly a few instruments. Also the possibility of vocals.
NZRS-Dave wrote:OP - I think an Audix i5 and a Focusrite 8i6 would be a good place to start.

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/recordin ... eamps.html
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/livesoun ... n-usa.html

I could make that really close to $500 for you.

There is a Focusrite Saffire 6 at $279 that would slide nicely under the budget ... but for the extra that takes you up to the Scarlett range which is red, and therefore better - but you also get more ins and outs which can be helpful down the track.

If you wanted to go for the wonderful world of Line6 and their modelling software ... you could look at the Pod Studio UX1 ($199), or the UX2 ($349).

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/catalogs ... +studio+ux
Do you think the Focusrite Scarlett or the Line 6 is a better unit?

I was just reading over reviews of the two, and quite a few people seem to have encountered problems with both.

Thanks.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

the preamp provides gain(at the very least) for the microphone(if you are using one) and some tone shaping controls for the input. a basic two input device and reasonable mic is all you need.I do all of my demo's at home with a L6 toneport gx which works fine.only thing it lacks is phantom power but i dont need that at home.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Emir wrote:Do you think the Focusrite Scarlett or the Line 6 is a better unit?

I was just reading over reviews of the two, and quite a few people seem to have encountered problems with both.

Thanks.
The Focusrite unit is supposedly better and would be better suited to what you are doing - however - I am a (bad) 80's hair metal guy so the Line6 suits me for what I want. I like the Gearbox/Podfarm software.

I've never had any problems with any Line6 unit including the original Guitarport. And problems we sell Focusrite units to people who've had bad luck with other setups - so they can't be too bad.

For what you want - my recommendation is the i5 and the Scarlett.

Kris answered the other questions. Essentially the USB box (or mixer) is what you plug the microphone into to get the sound into the computer. It takes care of the magic that makes it happen. There are two types of microphones, dynamic (which is what the i5 is) and condensor which requires phantom power to work. Most units feature phantom power (the Pod Studio GX and UX1 however don't). But that's fine because the i5 doesn't need it. Down the track you might buy a condensor mic for vocals etc so the Scarlett is probably the one to go for.

Hope that helps/
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

1st time user here. I got the Scarlett and have SM 57s. Easy as once you fimiliarise yourself. The associated software (Ableton) is good and plenty of on-line vids to run you through it from start to finish.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Emir
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Emir »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
Emir wrote:Do you think the Focusrite Scarlett or the Line 6 is a better unit?

Thanks.
The Focusrite unit is supposedly better and would be better suited to what you are doing - however - I am a (bad) 80's hair metal guy so the Line6 suits me for what I want. I like the Gearbox/Podfarm software.

I've never had any problems with any Line6 unit including the original Guitarport. And problems we sell Focusrite units to people who've had bad luck with other setups - so they can't be too bad.

For what you want - my recommendation is the i5 and the Scarlett.

Kris answered the other questions. Essentially the USB box (or mixer) is what you plug the microphone into to get the sound into the computer. It takes care of the magic that makes it happen. There are two types of microphones, dynamic (which is what the i5 is) and condensor which requires phantom power to work. Most units feature phantom power (the Pod Studio GX and UX1 however don't). But that's fine because the i5 doesn't need it. Down the track you might buy a condensor mic for vocals etc so the Scarlett is probably the one to go for.

Hope that helps/
Thank you!

I just ordered the Scarlett for now, will try to work towards the microphone this week :D

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Emir - I was going to give you a discount on it - but now that you've already ordered it ... do you mind if I cancel your order and sell it to you at a slightly more discounted price anyway?

Will flick you an email on Monday when I am back at my desk.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

NZRS-Dave wrote:Emir - I was going to give you a discount on it - but now that you've already ordered it ... do you mind if I cancel your order and sell it to you at a slightly more discounted price anyway?

Will flick you an email on Monday when I am back at my desk.
This puts a rather big smile on my face, because it's so polite and nice :)

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

sty wrote: This puts a rather big smile on my face, because it's so polite and nice :)
The funny thing was I originally typed something a bit funnier ... but then I couldnt' see an order in the back end of the website for Emir and I thougth 'bugger did he order it off Muzakthangz or something' So I was fishing for a reply as to where it came from.

Turns out I search for the wrong thing ... I searched for a Pro40 instead of the 8i6.

I might be ... a twit.

Anyways, all sorted out in PM.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Emir wrote: Do you think the Focusrite Scarlett or the Line 6 is a better unit?

Keep in mind this level of gear will usually be purchased by people without much recording experience, most problems are probably user error which they would have encountered no matter what they bought, and probably because they didn't read the manual.

Emir
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Emir »

Hey all,

So everything has arrived and I've got it all set up, but I'm having difficulties....

I don't understand how to set up the router preset with the DAW in the Preamps Software MixControl. Can anyone help me?

I'm just using the Mic > Preamp > Computer. But I can't seem to get any sound from the microphone in Ableton, so I'm guessing it's something with the setup in the preamp software?

I've selected the Preamp in Ableton.

Any help would be glady appreciated :D

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Hard to tell without looking at your channel settings in Ableton. The Focusrite mixer is a red-herring. You only really need that for routing an input directly to an output on the interface itself (for example sending your mic directly to your speakers without having Ableton even open). At the moment it looks like it's set OK- DAW out 1 and 2 are being sent to the monitor section. In Ableton, you'll need to check what the input is assigned to on the channel you want to record on to. It might also be worth clicking on the "Input Config" button on the preferences pane pictured above. If you still have no joy, post a pic of your Ableton screen and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

Emir
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Emir »

benderissimo wrote:Hard to tell without looking at your channel settings in Ableton. The Focusrite mixer is a red-herring. You only really need that for routing an input directly to an output on the interface itself (for example sending your mic directly to your speakers without having Ableton even open). At the moment it looks like it's set OK- DAW out 1 and 2 are being sent to the monitor section. In Ableton, you'll need to check what the input is assigned to on the channel you want to record on to. It might also be worth clicking on the "Input Config" button on the preferences pane pictured above. If you still have no joy, post a pic of your Ableton screen and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.
Thanks you for you reply.

I've been playing around with it more, I've now been able to get sound from recording, but it's very very very quiet. As in I recorded with everything up full and the playback can only be heard quietly when my speakers are up full. Any ideas? (The volume level for the Line In Scarlett is right up full as well)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

At a guess I'd say you're probably recording a mic through a line input (or the input is set to line rather than mic). Are you by any chance using an XLR to TRS Jack cable to connect your microphone to the interface? Is your interface a Focusrite 8i6?

Emir
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Emir »

benderissimo wrote:At a guess I'd say you're probably recording a mic through a line input (or the input is set to line rather than mic). Are you by any chance using an XLR to TRS Jack cable to connect your microphone to the interface? Is your interface a Focusrite 8i6?
How do you change the input to mic instead of line (If that is the case)?

I'm using XLR > XLR to connect the microphone to the interface. Yes, it's a Focusrite 8i6.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

benderissimo wrote:At a guess I'd say you're probably recording a mic through a line input (or the input is set to line rather than mic). Are you by any chance using an XLR to TRS Jack cable to connect your microphone to the interface? Is your interface a Focusrite 8i6?
The 8i6 has the multi input jack (jack in the middle of the XLR) so theortically he should be getting some signal love albeit a bit quiet.