Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Guitar recording tips

Post by bender »

Some great tips in here:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... akes-right

The description of the effects of placement and distance are nicely concise and easy to understand.
Placement = EQ. You get the brightest, most present sound with the mic aimed directly into the speaker’s dust cap (the little dome at the center). The sound gets darker/warmer as you move toward the cone’s edge. It doesn’t matter whether you move right, left, up, or down—further from the center means less treble bite.

The distance between grille cloth and mic also matters. A very close mic provides more low-end thump. Want more oomph? Move the mic closer. Too dark and wooly? Back it off. Beyond eight inches or so you start to pick up a lot of room sound. That can be a great thing (and a future topic). But close-miking is more idiot-proof, and it permits the most options when mixing.

Between “center vs. edge” and “near vs. far,” you have a powerful 2-band tone control—and equalization of this type is invariably more organic-sounding than EQ applied after recording.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Guitar recording tips

Post by Jay »

Thanks Ben, should have know that when I recorded the three Tele sound bytes yesterday.

We used a simple Senheiser E835 about 100mm away, off centre on a Celestion G12H 70 anniversary speaker... Not sure how that would have impacted on the Tele sound but reading the article I feel we would have eliminated a fair amount of treble.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

The main thing for your purposes was to use exactly the same set up and gain staging.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Thanks for this Ben.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

The main thing for your purposes was to use exactly the same set up and gain staging.
Which we did
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

Thanks for posting, Ben. People would do well to keep this stuff in mind when purchasing gear in an attempt to replicate recorded guitar toanz.
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

The analogy of mic placement as an EQ is such a great way of visualising (auralising?) it. Really simple.