Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Re: Mixing & Panning

Post by Jay »

Anyone using goniometers? I am using Toneboosters' free one and needed a bit of reading up on it to see what its purpose it.

It provides three visuals and on the correlation visual, my mix dives occasionally into the negative area.

Any knowledgeable people on here who know if that is bad?

I listened to the mix in mono and didn’t detect any obvious out of phase sounds.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

This is free and may be of interest to you Jean: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/audiolens.html
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:00 am This is free and may be of interest to you Jean: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/audiolens.html
I ll try that, thanks
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Jay wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:58 am Anyone using goniometers? I am using Toneboosters' free one and needed a bit of reading up on it to see what its purpose it.

It provides three visuals and on the correlation visual, my mix dives occasionally into the negative area.

I listened to the mix in mono and didn’t detect any obvious out of phase sounds.

The meter shows separation between the two channels—so how different the signal is to your left and right ear if you are wearing isolating headphones.

A good rule of thumb is that you don’t want negative values over extended periods, but occasionally is just fine. There needs to be enough in the middle (drums, bass, poss vocals) to hold the mix together.

BUT. The meter cannot tell you if the mix is bad, only your ears can do that. If the readings look iffy, but it sounds good, go with your ears, not your eyes.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Jay wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:58 am Anyone using goniometers? I am using Toneboosters' free one and needed a bit of reading up on it to see what its purpose it.

Dipping into antiphase is OK, it's just not great to have a lot. Can have a weird effect when listening in headphones, and can be problematic if played on radio broadcast, or cutting vinyl, but otherwise isn't a big deal.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

the phase meter was always fun to watch during long sessions once the refreshments came out!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.