Ideas on best smallish solid state amp?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Ideas on best smallish solid state amp?

Post by B45-12 »

I was thinking of getting a light combo amp for doing smaller gigging venues (restaurants, coffee houses, folk clubs, public loos etc) where power is supplied and, since I'm no spring chicken, the lightest amp that would give reasonable sound would be great.

Thinking about 35-40 watts rms, clean (for Jazz), solid state, preferably with notch or other controls to avoid feedback on a full depth f hollowbody using humbuckers, as light as possible.

Came up myself with Polytone or Roland Jazz chorus but those are heavy/large - anyone else got any favoured amps that approach this idea?
You can't do THAT on stage!

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Those little Beringer Amps sound like they would suit your format. Don't seem to heavy.

Well unless you are Mr Burns :wink:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2131 times

Post by GrantB »

I played a little Vox single speaker 30 watt thing some time back - Cambridge I think it was called. It sounded pretty good for the size and was light and small. $400 ish which is reasonable. I know the Rock Shop has them. I do think they have a single 12AX7 sitting in the front end though...so not quite 100% solid state. I thought they sounded better than the equivalent Marshall amps.

Other end of the scale (and not what you asked for) would be the Fender Blues Junior or Gibson Goldtone 12-15 watters - small, powerful and tone to go - downers - big bucks, heavy and all valve. Let us know what you go for.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

There's some of those new Vox amps on TM at the mo.
Just search on Vox.

Us old farts look good with a Vox.

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

If you can find one, try out a Tech 21 Trademark 30 or 60.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

why solid state? Just been looking at a lovely little old Fender Champ, bloody nice tone!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I could put together a Yamaha VX55 chassis with a single 8, 10 or 12" squeaker in a light pine ply cabinet for about $400. No notch filter, but reverb up the wazoo and a nice clean tone...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

That sounds a pretty good deal, Ash.

I actually like SS Yamaha amps.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

I'd go for a floor processor (Vox Tonelab, Boss GT6, Pod, etc) straight into a small PA. Why lug an amp at all?. More control over the sound through the PA system.

Alternatively look at a Roland Cube, Tech21 trademark, line 6, or Vox VT.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

OK - lovely of you all to offer these thoughts, much appreciated and will give the brands mentioned a whirl.

To BG - only chose solid state for reliability/lightness plus could not be arsed worrying about tubes (have enough of that nonsense with my other amps) - just something you can pick up and go with at the drop of a hat in a smallish car.

To Ash - the Ymaha chassis amp offer is greatly appreciated but will check out the other gear for a while first.
You can't do THAT on stage!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

B45-12 wrote: To Ash - the Yamaha chassis amp offer is greatly appreciated but will check out the other gear for a while first.
No probs. I might just throw one together sometime to see how a lightweight 1x10 combo comes out. Its not like I'm going to run out of VX amp units ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand