Weber..... WOW!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Weber..... WOW!

Post by Aquila Rossa »

would alnico blues suit a jtm45? i would have thought 20watt greens would suit better?
I still have not found a speaker I like better than the old celestion g75s. Hated V30s, but the H30s are nice.
I had a nice attentuator i got from ryan (can't remember brand) and it did not colour or 'squash' the sound one lttle bit until i used the highest settings, so i'm suprised you had no luck with them. Must depend on the amp perhaps?

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

That silver bell link I posted is a 'greenback equivalent' ferro magnet. If you pair one with an alnico you'll get the best of both worlds. (Otherwise just stick with a pair of silver bells).
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

electric68
Ashton
Ashton

Post by electric68 »

This all sounds really interesting. I have to confess I made what may be a stoooopid purchase: a Fender Supersonic 60 head and twin 12 cab. Looks sooooo sexy on stage. Cleans to die for. And the Bassman blooms and roars. Still unsure about the "burn" channel. But it's got loads of promise.

Iove it.

Problem is: even though I play with a very loud drummer I can't really play with the Bassman volume above 2 without getting really loud. I've tried different amps in the past with attenuators but they seem to suck the tone out.

Question is: is there any advice anyone can offer on how an early breakup Weber pair might let me exercise the amp's tubes a bit more and still play at reasonable volumes (whatever the heck that may be in one bear's opinion)? AND any thoughts on which of the many Webers might suit?

On reading this post it's sort like "how long is a piece of string"..... So how long?

Thanks!
Myself, being a Bear of Little Brain....

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

If it makes you happy, does the job, and wasn't a massive rip off, then its not stupid.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

Thanks for the replies Guys. I'm specifically wanting to avoid 2X12. Already have that in a great package.

At a jam last week, I used a single 12 that a mate had finished building that afternoon. It was obviously quite inefficient because I had the Marshall cranked up and working and the volume was perfect for a trio in a small studio. I used the same settings through the THD cab for 400+ venues with a 5 piece band during the RWC.

I asked because specs never give any idea of a speaker's voice. I could get my mate to build me one, but he's a mad professor type; it's all about experimentation. Durability doesn't worry him cos he can build another in half a day. :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Weber..... WOW!

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

electric68 wrote:This all sounds really interesting. I have to confess I made what may be a stoooopid purchase: a Fender Supersonic 60 head and twin 12 cab. Looks sooooo sexy on stage. Cleans to die for. And the Bassman blooms and roars. Still unsure about the "burn" channel. But it's got loads of promise.

Iove it.

Problem is: even though I play with a very loud drummer I can't really play with the Bassman volume above 2 without getting really loud. I've tried different amps in the past with attenuators but they seem to suck the tone out.

Question is: is there any advice anyone can offer on how an early breakup Weber pair might let me exercise the amp's tubes a bit more and still play at reasonable volumes (whatever the heck that may be in one bear's opinion)? AND any thoughts on which of the many Webers might suit?

On reading this post it's sort like "how long is a piece of string"..... So how long?

Thanks!
If the speakers break up earlier that won't work the tubes harder you will just get more speaker colour / distortion at the same power.

Less efficient speakers will produce less output for the same tube power so that is worth considering if it is tube overdrive rather than speaker breakup you want.
Greenstone Amplifiers

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

Happy New Year, Rob! :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote: If the speakers break up earlier that won't work the tubes harder you will just get more speaker colour / distortion at the same power.

Less efficient speakers will produce less output for the same tube power so that is worth considering if it is tube overdrive rather than speaker breakup you want.
Yep, this! Pay close attention to a speakers sensitivity (efficiency) rating as that will pretty much tell you how perceivably "loud" a speaker is, compared to a speaker with lower sensitivity at the same amp volume.

electric68
Ashton
Ashton

Post by electric68 »

Thanks to both of you for your informative comments - subtle but very important differences I gather.

Now I'm a little perplexed (little bear brain is being overdriven once again ) as to whether I want inefficient speakers or early speaker breakup. Shame there isn't a "Gear World" where one could go to A/B all kinds of candy, such as different speakers. Wouldn't that be cool.

hmmmmm

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

There is, it's called Ryan's Little Shop Of Wonder And Addiction. (CustomAudioBoutique.)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

electric68
Ashton
Ashton

Post by electric68 »

Right-O. On my way!

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

In the Weber speaker range, generally the smooth cone speakers will break up earlier than the ribbed cone ones, and they have more mid range 'bark'.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins