How Do You Set Your Amp?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

How Do You Set Your Amp?

Post by Pastasauce »

I'm interested in how you all set your amp for gigs.

What I mean is, do you tend to find that mythical "edge of breakup" sound (or any other one sound), and go from there?

Or do you set up 2 or more channels for various sounds?

Or do you use a completely clean amp and pedals?

I'm also interested in whether you use an effects loop or go straight in the front of the amp?

...As for me, right now it's the clean amp (Marshall 1974x) and pedals (Timmy, Catalinbread DLS, Suhr Riot) route. For me this is mostly because I need to play at a low volume, and also because I like the flexibility to cover a few different sounds. The sound I use most often though is either the clean 1974, or that with my Timmy for a slightly broken up tone.
Last edited by Pastasauce on Sat May 25, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: How Do You Set Your Amp?

Post by Single coil »

Everything goes straight into the front of the amp:
CE2 >> SD1 >> modded big muff >> tuner >> DD20

Having a shit JCM900 clone (it's shitty because it isn't fizzy and arse like the original 900's) I have a gain and a volume control per channel. Clean gain is just a bit gritty - Enough to suggest breakup if I hit it hard, but not enough to cloud the big muff. About 5 on the dial. Gain gain is usually 3 - 5 on the dial, so I get the sound classic rock makes once it's got angry after a few pints.

Reverb's switchable but also per channel - Bugger all on the gain channel, but the clean channel gets 3 or so on the dial. This reverb isn't particularly nice, but it's not terrible and it does the job better than my RV2 which our bass player has anyway.

Treble: ~2
Middle: 9
Bass: 9
Presence: 9

I don't know how this sounds good with my guitar tones nearly all the way down too, but somehow it just works.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Pastasauce wrote:Or do you use a completely clean amp and pedals?
:thumbup:
at practise volume around 2, same for most gigs miced, (sometimes down to 1&1/2 ). unmiked, around 3-4, approaching 4 though im starting to lose my cleans (with the Invader)
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

My Jansen has a great bluesy voice when cranked. I almost never use it.

Volume between 10 & 11 oclock, bass & treble at noon and everything happens from the pedalboard. Seems totally wrong, but it gives me pretty much all that I want.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Ironbird13 wrote: :thumbup:
at practise volume around 2, same for most gigs miced, (sometimes down to 1&1/2 ). unmiked, around 3-4, approaching 4 though im starting to lose my cleans (with the Invader)
Yeah, same here (mind you, I play bass).

If I've gone to all that trouble to get a sound I like at practice, I'd be silly to chuck it all away at a gig, especially when I can't hear what it sounds like to the punters out front.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

RE: How Do You Set Your Amp?

Post by Bg »

Everything louder than everything else
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Re: RE: How Do You Set Your Amp?

Post by Single coil »

BG wrote:Everything louder than everything else
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 776 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Miza »

While I'm not 'gigging', when I used to play at church I use the two channels on the Ceriatone as clean and dirty. The amp's not really designed for that, I use an AB box and two cables into the seperate inputs. Because the volume was so low, I cranked the pre-amp volume on the TMB channel and pushed it further with my TS-9 for saturated gain, and without for lower gain. The other channel with the EF86 preamp for clean.

At reasonable volumes, I use the same set up, but as both channels have a bit of natural gain to them, I use them for different tones. The TMB channel is set darker (and a bit dirtier), and the EF86 is set brighter. They respond different to pedals.

Now that I've got a Timmy I should have a reasonable amount of sounds to choose from with this set up.

The problem with a low wattage amp is that depending on the venue (and therefore volume of the amp) it changes your whole sound each time. There's a lot to be said for a clean amp + pedals for dirt setup for consistency.
Nothing to see here.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Depends on the amp I'm using and which band I'm playing with, but usually, I set up amp gain that I like for heavy rhythm, turn it up as loud as I can before band mates and soundmen give me weird looks, set the bass for the volume and the room to give nice thump and chunk but not muddy or overpowering, then once the room fills up with people, I usually have to adjust the volume (UP!) and sometimes the treble again after the first song.

Mids are always set at about 5-6. TS9/808 is solo/lead/saturation boost. I use the FX loop and have a clean boost for the poweramp there if I need it. I always have a clean channel, but will quite often just roll the volume down on the guitar for cleaner tones. Hardly ever use reverb unless it's a really dry sounding stage.

Lately at practice, because I tend to leave my pedals at home most days, I set my amp up for solos/lead tones, then roll back to 5-7 on the guitar for my crunch tones, and even further for cleans (or keep the neck pu set for cleans). This works better for rock stuff though, not so much the metal stuff. depends on what the song calls for though.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah it does depend on the amp. With my 36 Watt Marshall build, I set the volume on full and control volume from guitar. With the Bellbird I use pedals, might set it to be slightly hairy. With the Bogner I set the green channel completely clean with the volume all the way up and use the Gain as the volume, the blue channel I set to Plexi and wind it up, then I set the red channel to stupidly insane amount of gain, smooth as a gravy sandwhich - so full of Win.

With the fender vibro build, I set it for lovely lush clean mixed in with a bit of swampy vibe. Then slam the front end with a tube screamer or EQ, it complains loudly through its tiny 10" alnico speaker - it barks and it roars and it kills everything in the vicinity with its terrier bark. Its my favourite amp too :D

If you really want an awesome portable amp which has great lead tones, look out for a Mesa Subway Rocket. 10" speaker makes it more than light, the cleans are damn good and the dirty is heavenly. It does loud too even though small and manageable. Usually go for around 800 bucks, which is way less than your budget. As for Vox, you did say that the JCM was too heavy.... pick one up before you set your heart on one. there is a reason for 3 handles on an AC30, I liked mine but it didn't last long - heavier than a quad.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

I picked up a Vox AC15 earlier this year. It seemed similar in weight to my old Hot Rod Deluxe.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Basic AC15 with greenback = 22kg

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Amps are like your bodytype -- accept the failings, accept your strengths, and you will be happy. Every amp has weak points, and most amps have strong points.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote:Basic AC15 with greenback = 22kg
How heavy with a blue?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

and what is the air speed velocity of a fully laden swallow?