AC15 - what's the go?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Re: AC15 - what's the go?

Post by TmcB »

Reg18 wrote:I have the AC15C1 with a greenback, love it! have done a couple of basic mods so it take pedals better on the top boost channel.
I owned the AC15HW version 1 B4 the C1 (was fussy on OD pedal choice) , with a blue in it, so have had a good amount of experience with both the Green and the Blue.
The blue sounds great when the amp is cooking, good low end and chimey top. I noticed it improved after a year or two of playing though.
At low (church approved) volumes it sounded thin and trebly.
Greenback is less tight in the bottom end, has a more woody organic sound, breaks up early and sounds really nice at low volumes.
I have tried many many OD's through these amps, but with the bright mod done I would assume most of the ones I have bought and sold would have
probably sounded fine.
Some good choices (not all are 2 in 1 dealeos)
Rook Royale
Hotcake or double Hotcake
Timmy
Rat
Barber LTD range
Most TS style overdrives will be ok
In fact if you want KOL tones, maybe the good ol Jekyl and Hyde could be your best option.
This man knows his AC15's
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 700 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Reg18 wrote:I have the AC15C1 with a greenback, love it! have done a couple of basic mods so it take pedals better on the top boost channel.
I owned the AC15HW version 1 B4 the C1 (was fussy on OD pedal choice) , with a blue in it, so have had a good amount of experience with both the Green and the Blue.
The blue sounds great when the amp is cooking, good low end and chimey top. I noticed it improved after a year or two of playing though.
At low (church approved) volumes it sounded thin and trebly.
Greenback is less tight in the bottom end, has a more woody organic sound, breaks up early and sounds really nice at low volumes.
I have tried many many OD's through these amps, but with the bright mod done I would assume most of the ones I have bought and sold would have
probably sounded fine.
Some good choices (not all are 2 in 1 dealeos)
Rook Royale
Hotcake or double Hotcake
Timmy
Rat
Barber LTD range
Most TS style overdrives will be ok
In fact if you want KOL tones, maybe the good ol Jekyl and Hyde could be your best option.
What were your thoughts on the hw vs the c1?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 954 times

Post by Reg18 »

]

What were your thoughts on the hw vs the c1?[/quote]

I had the first version of the hand wired with the ef86, it was a great sounding amp but not very versatile without a master volume (the new one fixes those issues)
I reckon the new C1 is just as good to be honest, I sometimes miss having the compression of a tube rectifier but when playing live the difference is minimal.
The new C1 has a semi closed back so has better low end and has more of a solid cabinet thump.
I prefer the C1! Plus it has reverb and trem as well!
I think the tone is slightly different but not significant.
I could have afforded the new AC15HW or even the AC30C1 when I bought my AC15C1, but for my current amp needs I went with the C1 and have no regrets!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 838 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

best sounding one iv heard is the ac15c2. so chimey. so very chimey.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:best sounding one iv heard is the ac15c2. so chimey. so very chimey.
Agreed.

Unfortunately it's all the weight of an AC30 without the headroom, but it sounds great!
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

El Chris
Squier

Post by El Chris »

I've been using an AC15ccx2 with the blue celestion speaker for ~4-5 years, gigging doing lots of diff material, seems to handle it all well..and it's still great for me. The Reverb is average. The Trem is very useable. The amp itself is perfect. Pretty fucking heavy for a 15 watter though. It definitely does sound better when cranked and is incredibly responsive. Lowish volume is kind of average. There's some clips of me playing blues through it on here, the top 3 links.

https://soundcloud.com/chris-armour-2

I use it for everything from blues to rockabilly to soul/R&B to classic rock... surf rock... what ever. Pretty versatile imo

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 838 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

El Chris wrote:I've been using an AC15ccx2 with the blue celestion speaker for ~4-5 years, gigging doing lots of diff material, seems to handle it all well..and it's still great for me. The Reverb is average. The Trem is very useable. The amp itself is perfect. Pretty fucking heavy for a 15 watter though. It definitely does sound better when cranked and is incredibly responsive. Lowish volume is kind of average. There's some clips of me playing blues through it on here, the top 3 links.

https://soundcloud.com/chris-armour-2

I use it for everything from blues to rockabilly to soul/R&B to classic rock... surf rock... what ever. Pretty versatile imo
Heavy all right.

My laney 15w 15kg. Ac15c2 30kg.
My back = happy.
I used to own a 100w fender twin. Heaviest amp ever. Brutal to move around.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

My AC15C1 is ~ 22Kg :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

Either man up or

they probably do them in pink...

just sayin'
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

BG wrote:Either man up or

just sayin'
This is the exact model I own. Loves everything but stairs. :winky:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:I think we are seeing more of them because the purchase price now is so affordable, nothing else on the market in the same price range comes close spec wise!
Please provide evidence to back up this statement. Not trolling, legit interested in what makes this the case. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I think we are seeing more of them because the purchase price now is so affordable, nothing else on the market in the same price range comes close spec wise!
Please provide evidence to back up this statement. Not trolling, legit interested in what makes this the case. :D
Effectively a 2 channel amp (if you use an A/B switch) comes with a proper speaker, is all toob toanz, has trem and reverb and a master volume, what else for under a grand does that?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:
hamo wrote:
Effectively a 2 channel amp (if you use an A/B switch) comes with a proper speaker, is all toob toanz, has trem and reverb and a master volume, what else for under a grand does that?
That's what I wanted to know. :)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

The Scarecrow wrote:
BG wrote:Either man up or

just sayin'
This is the exact model I own. Loves everything but stairs. :winky:
meh you have groupies, thats what they're for ;)

humping.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:
hamo wrote:
hang about, didn't you recommend that to Edward, and shortly afterwards he changed his amp and name?