MDF vs Ply for Cabs

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 384 times

Re: MDF vs Ply for Cabs

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:10 pm
jimi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:38 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 am Nice one JB.

So, not really any real-world difference re wood. Interesting.
if no difference to tone, the durability / moisture resilience etc stuff is totally legitimate.

Becoming more relevant if recent weather patterns are going to be more frequent.
I think that's why Marshall have moved to that new composite. Which is impossible to find data on.
Presumably if the cab was painted inside and out the moisture issue would be mitigated?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

Yes, and even better still, don’t get it sopping wet. Which would also be detrimental to the electronics contained in the head stored beside the cab!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:50 am What needs to happen is someone here must build two identically dimensioned cabinets, one from this new composite mdf and the other from ply. Then, using studio quality mics and recording equipment, test the variations of toAnz, utilising the same speakers, cable etc.

Anyone?
Nah. I have a life.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

Dharmajester wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:29 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:10 pm
jimi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:38 pm

if no difference to tone, the durability / moisture resilience etc stuff is totally legitimate.

Becoming more relevant if recent weather patterns are going to be more frequent.
I think that's why Marshall have moved to that new composite. Which is impossible to find data on.
Presumably if the cab was painted inside and out the moisture issue would be mitigated?
Not necessarily, water always finds a way in….

I’d still rather use properly jointed pine than either ply or mdf. Which brings its own issues
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

comparing hifi isnt really apples for apples-because there is a ton of frequencies that arent wanted.And the enclosures are designed to go into a room that is tuned (ideally) and basically stay there.
i am curious as to how a mg series with greenbacks sounds though

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Weight and water damage are my only issues with MDF. If that sorted, then I don’t really care.

While I don’t aim to let my cabs get wet, I’d rather they weren’t ruined by an unexpected flood (I’m right in the middle of dealing with a laundry flood that has managed to go through a wall into a bedroom and ruin a wardrobe organiser).

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 775 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by Miza »

20230621_183546.jpg
20230621_183546.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 3085 times
Interesting read. I wouldn't use MDF for the same reasons above (weight/moisture). But I did just start building a cab from some ply with plastic veneer. I did wonder if it will affect tone, probably sound like MDF! 🤣
Nothing to see here.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Mdf is heavier than ply to begin with (before water absorbtion haha) and then need that extra level of thickness to be on par with the strength Ply provides. It dents and dings easily and screws can rip out (screw and glue wherever possible) But it is cheaper and much easier to work with.

Ply, especially decent ply is more expensive and can chip splinter easily when being worked.

High Density Chipboard is pretty cool too.

I've seen a lot of talk about MDF dampening sound reflections etc etc but I don't know about that.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 959 times

Post by Reg18 »

Miza wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:46 pm 20230621_183546.jpg
Interesting read. I wouldn't use MDF for the same reasons above (weight/moisture). But I did just start building a cab from some ply with plastic veneer. I did wonder if it will affect tone, probably sound like MDF! 🤣
I’ve seen off cuts in the bins behind joiners of this veneered ply and wondered if it would be good for a cab, looks like more ply layers than off the shelf Bunnings stuff which would be more rigid? Therefore better?

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 pm
Miza wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:46 pm 20230621_183546.jpg
I’ve seen off cuts in the bins behind joiners of this veneered ply and wondered if it would be good for a cab, looks like more ply layers than off the shelf Bunnings stuff which would be more rigid? Therefore better?
It's rigid AF. It's for making ply furniture, like desktops and stuff.

Hey, if it's free, what have you got to lose?
Nothing to see here.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

That stuff is kinda like MDF ply isn't it? Layers of MDF? Is it heavy? Looks cool as...1970's furniture cool.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:09 pm That stuff is kinda like MDF ply isn't it? Layers of MDF? Is it heavy? Looks cool as...1970's furniture cool.
Nah, it's def Baltic birch. Really nice stuff actually. I have a standing desk made from the same stuff, but it has a natural finish.
Nothing to see here.