Toobs

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

machina
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Toobs

Post by machina »

Hey guys,

After going through a phase of using rack gear and using my JCM800 (2203) as a power amp only, I'm wanting to simplify things by ditching the rack gear (ADA MP-1 and Alesis Quadraverb - up for sale soon. Watch this space) and go back to having a 'proper' JCM800 with only a couple of pedals in front. The 800 currently has 6L6's in it and I'm pretty sure I want to go back to EL34's. Before I commit to a purchase though I'm wanting to whack the old EL34's that were in there previously back in just to make sure that it is the sound I'm wanting. My question is, am I able to simply swap the tubes over for a quick test without having to worry about biasing and all that?

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Re: Toobs

Post by zdali »

Short answer, no.

Long answer, talk to Clarry :-)

6L6 and EL34s are very different beasts (different pinout for a start). You could also try KT77 which is a drop in replacement for EL34 (not that that helps you ATM)
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

borrow one of the Falcon's, he has plenty ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

:P

dali, cheers for that. Was probably going to take it to Clarry anyway since he did the original work on it with the preamp bypass I got going on.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

machina wrote:Hey guys,

After going through a phase of using rack gear and using my JCM800 (2203) as a power amp only, I'm wanting to simplify things by ditching the rack gear (ADA MP-1 and Alesis Quadraverb - up for sale soon. Watch this space) and go back to having a 'proper' JCM800 with only a couple of pedals in front. The 800 currently has 6L6's in it and I'm pretty sure I want to go back to EL34's. Before I commit to a purchase though I'm wanting to whack the old EL34's that were in there previously back in just to make sure that it is the sound I'm wanting. My question is, am I able to simply swap the tubes over for a quick test without having to worry about biasing and all that?
Nah man, you'll need to rebias. You should look at at KT77's if you want a bit more of a punchy EL34 sound, as Zdali said, they're practically drop-in replacements.

Ryan / CAB should be able to sort it for you pretty easy. He put a combo of 2x EL34's and 2 x KT77's in my DSL 100 and it's never sounded better.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

the_haunted
Ashton
Ashton

Post by the_haunted »

Yeah, you want to rebias. You might need to change the Bias splitter, and screen resistors too.

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

The Scarecrow wrote:Nah man, you'll need to rebias. You should look at at KT77's if you want a bit more of a punchy EL34 sound, as Zdali said, they're practically drop-in replacements.

Ryan / CAB should be able to sort it for you pretty easy. He put a combo of 2x EL34's and 2 x KT77's in my DSL 100 and it's never sounded better.
Cheers dude, I'll look into that. A punchier take on the more organic EL34 tone sounds like what I'm after.

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

Despite what the other guys say.. :oops:

Im assuming you have ran el34's in the past in this amp?

Then, Yes you can put el34's in place of the 6l6's, but they will only be operating at low power.. (although you couldnt go from el34's -> 6l6's without a rebias)

So to get them up to full power(and probably sounding good) as stated you will need to get them biased.

But for a quick trial sure it will work, but wont sound optimal, but it definately won't do any damage.

You dont need to swap screen resistors,
So go for it
Last edited by ant on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

machina wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:Nah man, you'll need to rebias. You should look at at KT77's if you want a bit more of a punchy EL34 sound, as Zdali said, they're practically drop-in replacements.

Cheers dude, I'll look into that. A punchier take on the more organic EL34 tone sounds like what I'm after.
Hey, if you want to and have an afternoon free sometime, I can bring the DSL into the Manor for you to have a blast. It's got a good JCM800 sound on the clean channel with 'crunch' engaged and the gain at about halfway. Might give you a better idea of the tone.

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

The Scarecrow wrote:Hey, if you want to and have an afternoon free sometime, I can bring the DSL into the Manor for you to have a blast. It's got a good JCM800 sound on the clean channel with 'crunch' engaged and the gain at about halfway. Might give you a better idea of the tone.
That'd be sweet man, cheers for that. When are you usually free?

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

machina wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:Hey, if you want to and have an afternoon free sometime, I can bring the DSL into the Manor for you to have a blast. It's got a good JCM800 sound on the clean channel with 'crunch' engaged and the gain at about halfway. Might give you a better idea of the tone.
That'd be sweet man, cheers for that. When are you usually free?
Bit up and down at the momento, but will be there Sunday arvo from about 3.

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

Sweet, I'll be there then. We'll have a chat.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

6l6s in a JCM800 just seems wrong.

I will be keen on the ADA if the price is right. Any mods been done on it?

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

Basket Case wrote:6l6s in a JCM800 just seems wrong.

I will be keen on the ADA if the price is right. Any mods been done on it?
Sorry dude just saw your post. No mods have been done to the ADA however it has been converted to NZ power. This was done by Clarry about 2 years ago, along with the tubes being replaced with 12AX7's (I think, I'd need to double check). If you're still keen then flick me a PM and we'll go from there.

Had the 6L6's replaced with KT77's (and biased!) today and gave the beast a blast - sounds awesome. Gives a nice full organic tone. I'm very happy with it, it's nice to have it working more like a proper 800 again. :D 8)