Band buying PA - advice

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Band buying PA - advice

Post by nzsimon1 »

Timi wrote:I know what you are trying to say, I just think its silly. As silly as saying my cat has a 10 watt meow, my scream is 25 watts, and I can do a mean 5 watt fart.

The actual SPL output of a "400 watt speaker" can differ wildly. Its the SPL that you should be looking at rather than ambiguous power ratings, and I very much doubt a drum kit can put out over 150dB.
I was trying to put some non technical power terms into it
If they are playing in a garage with a drum kit they will need a certain level of power to overcome the noise from the drums or the drum kit will totally dominate everything

But hey what do I know I only own a sound company I haven't got time to argue over semantics a snare on it's own is around 135-137 db then add in all the rest

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=FX1A ... &ct=result

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

nzsimon1 wrote:But hey what do I know I only own a sound company I haven't got time to argue over semantics a snare on it's own is around 135-137 db then add in all the rest
go on, get all technical on his ass :wink: :P :P
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

nzsimon1 wrote: But hey what do I know I only own a sound company
passive aggression!

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by nzsimon1 »

thehenderson wrote:
passive aggression!
Not intentional

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Hehe sorry, just giving you a hard time, to the OP you should listen to simon first and foremost, he's had lots of experience with this stuff

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

if a snare is belted in a forest...

does it add up that way anyway?

if a snare is 110dB
and a kick is 100dB

then together they are 210dB or 110dB

i would say 110dB
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

sgt mukuzi wrote:if a snare is belted in a forest...
... the person that belted it would hear it :P
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

Ironbird13 wrote:
... the person that belted it would hear it :P
is water wet or is the cup leaking
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by nzsimon1 »

does it add up that way anyway?

if a snare is 110dB
and a kick is 100dB

then together they are 210dB or 110dB

i would say 110dB
they don't add up exponentially you are right they also are not hit all at the same time

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

I'd believe 400w+ to keep up with the drummer. Our practice PA is 2x250W powered speakers and only has vocals through it. I don't really have to hit _that_ hard to drown out the vocals... The PA is usually around 8 when we practice. Our gigging PA was 900W and that struggled... YMMV

I would say your cheapest option would be a small mixer and couple of powered speakers. B52 Matrix or some Tapco kit maybe... You'd be struggling with $500 tho.
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

zdali wrote:I'd believe 400w+ to keep up with the drummer. Our practice PA is 2x250W powered speakers and only has vocals through it. I don't really have to hit _that_ hard to drown out the vocals... The PA is usually around 8 when we practice. Our gigging PA was 900W and that struggled... YMMV

I would say your cheapest option would be a small mixer and couple of powered speakers. B52 Matrix or some Tapco kit maybe... You'd be struggling with $500 tho.
in our band I've played with ~4 drummers of varying strengths/loudness. We have a foldback system (which is not far different from what you say you're looking for) and we have a 31band eq/feedback eliminator and a crown 200+200 watt slave (and a wee mixer) for this purpose alone (not our front of house) and have rarely driven it past ½ way, and that's only on one side (200W).

if you consider buying a PA that is largely going to be used as foldback for yourselves then it could be killing two birds with one stone.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

We use a 400w active speaker (Skytec cheapy) just does the job, have volume on half( get feedback over that) it has 2 mic inputs and a RCA input and 2 of them can be joined in stereo(which will give 4 mic inputs) mic inputs are jack inputs

one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 718684.htm

Stormbringer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Stormbringer »

Thanks for all the advice guys, we are going with the active speaker option - one of those Skytecs from Surplustronics, no less. Next little question is regard the little mixer we want: we don't have any experience with this sort of equipment - are there compatibility issues? Like x mixer for x speaker? Or is it pretty much get anything and plug it in?
Pilgrim's Pyre live recordings up! We have sound! http://www.myspace.com/pilgrimspyre
Who am I? http://www.myspace.com/cashtonnz

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Stormbringer wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys, we are going with the active speaker option - one of those Skytecs from Surplustronics, no less. Next little question is regard the little mixer we want: we don't have any experience with this sort of equipment - are there compatibility issues? Like x mixer for x speaker? Or is it pretty much get anything and plug it in?
any passive mixer should do. inserts and the like are worth considering if you're talking FOH but since it's just to hear yourselves it may not be worth worrying about.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

For practice anything would do, like a behringer would be fine. I've used all sorts of random odds and sods mixers and they've been just fine. PLus you can get mixers so cheaply on trademe, I picked up a Mackie 8 channel for $400. So there's no need to spend large on the mixer!