Crossover

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Pakehendrix
Big Muff
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Crossover

Post by Pakehendrix »

So I've got my Ashdown MAG300 head, an Ashdown 410t cab, and a Carvin RL118 cab.

Is it possible to have an active crossover? Or a passive, I don't really know anymore, talkbass.com just confused me.

Essentially all I want to happen is for the Carvin to handle the lows/low mids, and the Ashdown to handle mids/highs. I thought it wouldn't be too hard...splitting the frequencies and sending them to different speakers, but of course the most electronical I get these days is plugging in my pedalboard.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Crossover

Post by snitchez »

well. if you buy a cross over unit. sure it is possible for an active crossover =)

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

oh yeah. so that ages ago. sorry! yeah that would do it. right ratings?

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Oooo, that does look cool. Good man!

Though I'd want someone technically minded to tell me if it would work with what I have or not...

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Well, the Ashdown cab impedence is 8 ohm, the Carvin's is 4 ohms...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

That crossover is intended to differentiate a tiny little tweeter. Probably a bad choice for bi-amping.

I would suggest doing the crossover business before the amps. Some kind of pedal with high-pass to one output and low-pass to the other with a crossover frequency control. They probably exist somewhere commercially, but it might be a job for the likes of Ant or Fuzzie.

If you want to try the concept out in half-arsed fashion, you can just turn the bass down and treble up on one amp and vice-versa on the other and tweak to taste. I did that with a stereo Zoom thingee into two Yamaha VX55s and it worked ok. But its never going to be as good as a proper bi-amped rig.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

So essentially to get a proper crossover I need another amp? I've only got the Ashdown with two speaker cabs at this stage.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

just a different approach (thinking outside the box storage area) is it possible to put a eq pedal in the speaker cables(between amp and cabs), or will that blow things up?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Pakehendrix wrote:So essentially to get a proper crossover I need another amp? I've only got the Ashdown with two speaker cabs at this stage.
Sorry, I misread and thought you had a combo in there too.

To do Bi-amping you need two amps, but to do what you're talking about a power crossover is the go. The fact that no-one seems to bother other than to drive a tweeter with the very top end signal suggests it isn't much good for what you describe. I also suspect that the crossover is going to suck some of your power away. I can't see it being very beneficial.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand