110V AMP Converted to 240V...!%$##"?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Re: 110V AMP Converted to 240V...!%$##"?

Post by dayl »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
If the 1000 version on TM isn't too pricey, go for it, you'll have a transformer that you know will be fine with your amp, and could even power more than one 120V amp.

However, if you're going to spend money like that, also consider having the amp's internal mains transformer rewound - there's a couple of good local transformer guys around - get them to do the re-wind and someone like Clarry to fit it.
For sure. I'll grab a transformer first, get it re-cabbed, retubed (talk to you about that later) and if it turns out to be as sweet as I hope it will be, then I'll consider taking those lengths, I think it will turn out pretty sweet though.

Cheers for all the advice.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

dayl wrote:
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
If the 1000 version on TM isn't too pricey, go for it, you'll have a transformer that you know will be fine with your amp, and could even power more than one 120V amp.

However, if you're going to spend money like that, also consider having the amp's internal mains transformer rewound - there's a couple of good local transformer guys around - get them to do the re-wind and someone like Clarry to fit it.
For sure. I'll grab a transformer first, get it re-cabbed, retubed (talk to you about that later) and if it turns out to be as sweet as I hope it will be, then I'll consider taking those lengths, I think it will turn out pretty sweet though.

Cheers for all the advice.
probably be cheaper or not much more cash to have the transformer rewound and you'll get a better resale value at the end of it?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Sweet as. My point about getting the re-wind done though is that you may find it ends up costing no more (possibly even less) than buying a decent new step-down transformer.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

SNAP ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

perhaps drop it off to a tech and then he can double check it doesnt have a 240v tap.

I mean the schematic says it doesn't but who knows they may have used different transformers later on in production.

You could even do it yourself, see if there are any unused wires/lugs on the transformer inside, just dont touch anything :P .

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Ok...so you guys are saying that a trasformer rewind will solve my problem?

I dont have to replace a ridiculous amout of components that have to match etc etc and that may well only cost the same as a decent step down trans?

You may want to throw some names at me and I'll get cracking on that one.

And telling me to open stuff up and poke around is dangerous...

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

dayl wrote:And telling me to open stuff up and poke around is dangerous...
just dont forget to wet your finger first :wink: :P :lol:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Ironbird13 wrote:
dayl wrote:And telling me to open stuff up and poke around is dangerous...
just dont forget to wet your finger first :wink: :P :lol:
Reminds me of a time out in the homestead garage, when I put a screwdriver in through one of the vents of an old Jensen Tube amp.

ZZZZBANG!.....came to around the freezer and threw up.

I cant quite remember what my motivation was... hence dangerous, I do stupid sh@t at random :D

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

I think Ant's bang-on there too - first step really is get a tech to confirm that there isn't in fact a 240V tap on the amp's transformer. There's a few good techs in this city - what part of Auckland are you in/could you get to without difficulty?

If the tech confirms there's not a 240V tap, PM me for details on transformer re-winders.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

The safety problem talked about with autotransformers is simple.

An autotransformer has only one winding, with taps taken off to suit the output voltages.

Now, if any part of that winding open circuits, it means the primary voltage could appear acroos the secondary taps. So for stepdown purposes, it would mean that 230V could appear on the low voltage outputs. That is normally not considered to be nice (or safe).

With a double wound transformer, each winding is separate and therefore a break in the primary winding will not cause a higher output voltage to occur. In fact it will cause the output to drop to an effective 0V.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:I think Ant's bang-on there too - first step really is get a tech to confirm that there isn't in fact a 240V tap on the amp's transformer. There's a few good techs in this city - what part of Auckland are you in/could you get to without difficulty?

If the tech confirms there's not a 240V tap, PM me for details on transformer re-winders.
Hey, thanks heaps. I'm in Sandringham and don't have too much trouble getting around but dont get home weekdays until 6:30ish, Weekends are fine.

I could look at it myself, how about if I take it apart and post some pics? I'm reasonably competent but wouldn't really know what to look for in this case.

If that's cool, I'll start pulling it apart now.

Thanks for all your help guys

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

dayl wrote:If that's cool, I'll start pulling it apart now.
Well that sucked.....no idea what I was looking for and the photo's wouldn't help anyone.

Almost pulled apart the transformer to look for nodes or a switch or spare wire of some sort, but remembered that I have no idea what I am looking for.

I best let the pro's do it.

I have resigned to the fact that this weekend....I will not be CC Deville lol

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Over in the UK they use isolating transformers that step down to 110 on the building sites, and they'd have to be high output to handle power tools. I bet they would be cheap and up to it.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

hmmm not cheap in my experience mate, and heavier than the amp ;)

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

bluesgeek wrote:hmmm not cheap in my experience mate, and heavier than the amp ;)
Less is more. Don't really want to lug around a transformer.

I'm pretty keen on the rewind idea but need to see if it has an internal converter first.

Any techies in the central Auck area to recommend? anyone that could look at it?

Cheers