Cables everywhere...

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bozie
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Cables everywhere...

Post by Bozie »

Ok, dont quite know where this post should go, but this is a techie kind of thing so I've put it in amps...

My gear:
(Heilo)-(3xG2D pedals)-(Mesa Stiletto)-(GT8 in fx loop).

Problem: Too many cables on the floor, the GT8 runs in the loop and takes care of the time based fx and channel switching. Along with the od pedals, amp controls, and the loop cables, its a mess, and its time consuming to set up. I have 6M of snake cable floating about, and was eyeing it up for the task (Not all six meters of course) of routing my pedal board to the amps front input, remote channel and boost switch, GT8 channel switch, and loop. What do you think?

I see a crew in the US called Pedal Snake do this kind of thing, but I wont be running power to the board this way, I know thats not possible, just signal.
So... Belden snake cable for tidy stage, go or no go? Any reason why I shouldnt give it a try?

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Cables everywhere...

Post by Jenesis »

Cable wrap?

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Why dont you Rack your pedal effects and just use a midi pedal/controller , you can run all the pedals including the GT-8 this way.... Then you just have one cable and pedal on the floor...
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Just had a look at the Cable Snake website, ha ha one of the crappiest websites I've ever seen. And that video, almost puts me off playing guitar. Not that I'd mind having a couple of topless dancers on stage, but that guy, what a winner.
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

babytaylor wrote:Just had a look at the Cable Snake website, ha ha one of the crappiest websites I've ever seen. And that video, almost puts me off playing guitar. Not that I'd mind having a couple of topless dancers on stage, but that guy, what a winner.
Sorry, I meant Pedal Snake.

Interesting concept though.
Nothing to see here.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Bozie wrote:Ok, dont quite know where this post should go, but this is a techie kind of thing so I've put it in amps...

My gear:
(Heilo)-(3xG2D pedals)-(Mesa Stiletto)-(GT8 in fx loop).

Problem: Too many cables on the floor, the GT8 runs in the loop and takes care of the time based fx and channel switching. Along with the od pedals, amp controls, and the loop cables, its a mess, and its time consuming to set up. I have 6M of snake cable floating about, and was eyeing it up for the task (Not all six meters of course) of routing my pedal board to the amps front input, remote channel and boost switch, GT8 channel switch, and loop. What do you think?

I see a crew in the US called Pedal Snake do this kind of thing, but I wont be running power to the board this way, I know thats not possible, just signal.
So... Belden snake cable for tidy stage, go or no go? Any reason why I shouldnt give it a try?
A friend of mine does the exact same thing, with a GT-8 even.

I've just been working on the cable for him, shortening it and re-doing the connections.

This set up works really well, I'd suggest you go for it!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Bozie
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bozie »

Tonemaker wrote:Why dont you Rack your pedal effects and just use a midi pedal/controller , you can run all the pedals including the GT-8 this way.... Then you just have one cable and pedal on the floor...
I agree, and I really want one, but I own the cable, and Im short on cash... :roll:

Also, my G2D's are two stage pedals with a boost or drive foot switch not accessable by a controller. Hmm I wonder if they could offer a mod for that ex-factory, like a relay insert that changes the channel...

Otherwise its a very good idea.
Jenesis wrote:Cable wrap?
Yep, that would work. But I have this rig on the move a couple of times a week, and needs it to be robust. I dont think cable wrap would stand up to the work load.
babytaylor wrote:Just had a look at the Cable Snake website, ha ha one of the crappiest websites I've ever seen. And that video, almost puts me off playing guitar. Not that I'd mind having a couple of topless dancers on stage, but that guy, what a winner.
:lol: I never watched the video, so never saw any topless dancers! But yeah, the website is a bit shody. The ideas good tho.
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
A friend of mine does the exact same thing, with a GT-8 even.

I've just been working on the cable for him, shortening it and re-doing the connections.

This set up works really well, I'd suggest you go for it!
Cool, well worth following up on this then.

Out of interest, how long have you made it?