Good Amp repair\service in Auckland?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Good Amp repair\service in Auckland?

Post by Ibanezdude »

Just a week after my input jacks on my cab gave way, my freaken output jacks on the back of my amp decided to give way too!!! This has been very frustrating for me, and i'd rather not even concider taking it to the rockshop to get fixed, as last time it took over a week just to get a verbal quote.

Ok, so a little bit about the problem:

- Both 4/8ohm output jacks don't work (Theres two of them - for use with 2 cabs etc).
- Can get sound out of the cab if the cable is 'played with', so i think its a wiring problem.
- 16 ohm output works.

Sounds like quite a simple fix, but i really don't wanna do it myself in fear of breaking it even more, as half of the amp needs to be taken apart to get to the right spot.

So whos the best in Auckland to go for this sort of thing? Any help here would be greatly appriciated! :D

Oh btw, if it makes any difference, the amps a Marshall DSL100 head
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, theres nobody home". I went over, nobody was home.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Good Amp repair\service in Auckland?

Post by sgt mukuzi »

marshalls are made from foam these days mate anyway:

get a cotten bud.
put some electrical cleaner on the fuzzy end
shove it into the jacks and give them a clean.

please dont use the dirty contacts for the speaker out as it may fry your tranny

clean em first,

should be cool
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

Ok, i'll give that a go, cheers for that.

However, in the event that fails to fix the problem - Where could i take it? :P
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, theres nobody home". I went over, nobody was home.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Ibanezdude wrote:Ok, i'll give that a go, cheers for that.

However, in the event that fails to fix the problem - Where could i take it? :P
Unplug it and check the fuses too. If they're ok and it still don't go call Clarry at 34 Audio. 09 817 2634
6 Kohu Rd
Titirangi

The only game in town.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

or fix it phill,

he is a master also :D

you have to audition for his number tho
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Ibanezdude wrote:
- Can get sound out of the cab if the cable is 'played with', so i think its a wiring problem.
Please, please don't do this, it could cause a very expensive output transformer meltdown! Clarry at 34 Audio is the guy in Auckland.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Ibanezdude wrote:Just a week after my input jacks on my cab gave way, my freaken output jacks on the back of my amp decided to give way too!!! This has been very frustrating for me, and i'd rather not even concider taking it to the rockshop to get fixed, as last time it took over a week just to get a verbal quote.

Ok, so a little bit about the problem:

- Both 4/8ohm output jacks don't work (Theres two of them - for use with 2 cabs etc).
- 16 ohm output works.

Sounds like quite a simple fix, but i really don't wanna do it myself in fear of breaking it even more, as half of the amp needs to be taken apart to get to the right spot.

So whos the best in Auckland to go for this sort of thing? Any help here would be greatly appriciated! :D

Oh btw, if it makes any difference, the amps a Marshall DSL100 head
Just take it to Clarry, as Captain Black said, but check the fuses first. Last time I had my own DSL fixed through the RS, it took from October 2004 to February 2005 because of the lack of parts. Cost me nothing in the end and I got a new set of tubes, but nearly six months without an amp was appallingly poor.

Last service from Clarry was done in a few days and the amp never skipped a beat since then, that was like in 2005.

My DSL used to do similar things with the jacks - it's because unlike older Marshalls the parts in them are cheap as chips and everything's put together pretty poorly overall. I only have mine as a backup or jam amp because I tend to think they're pretty poor in comparison with a lot of other amps out there now.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

The Scarecrow wrote:but check the fuses first.
Could it be the fuses even if one of the outputs still works fine?

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Ibanezdude wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:but check the fuses first.
Could it be the fuses even if one of the outputs still works fine?
Hard to say. I have a vague idea of how these things work, a lot of the time a blown fuse can be easily sorted. I've learned that the insides of most of the modern Marshalls are crappily assembled with naff parts, so when the spazz out, it's usually a bit of mess.

When in doubt though, don't risk getting killed by stray currents messing around with stuff you don't understand fully.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

Yeah exactly

I'll take it to this Clary guy, only heard positive things about his work. About time the amp had a general service too.
Cheers guys for your help.

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

I am now a converted Clarry fan. Had the amp fixed in less than a day and it was dirt cheap! Definatly going back to him if another problem arises!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Ibanezdude wrote:I am now a converted Clarry fan. Had the amp fixed in less than a day and it was dirt cheap! Definatly going back to him if another problem arises!
yep he's the mutts nuts ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

is he Ok? my wife said she heard on the GV that he isnt well

get well Clarry

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

sgt mukuzi wrote:is he Ok? my wife said she heard on the GV that he isnt well

get well Clarry
+1