Amp Cabinet Ohmage Ratings

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Amp Cabinet Ohmage Ratings

Post by Jenesis »

Looks like an Arabic 30 to me...

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

google image Ohm and thats what comes up :?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Personally I would have posted the pic where the girl has it tattooed on her bum. :D

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I've loaned my little Fender 1x12 to a friend for a couple of gigs. He's using his 15" bass cabinet instead of the combo speaker and reckons the sound is incredible. I guess the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

One thing to remember with a parallel circuit is that the total will always be less than the lowest value. So even if you stuck a high value cabinet in the second jack, total load would still be less than the 8Ω optimum load.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Ironbird13 wrote:google image Ohm and thats what comes up :?
Buddhism - OM

Impedance = Ohm

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

SO much for giving the guy a straight answer!

Your amp has two speaker outs, in parallel.
The total impeadance for both is 8 Ohms. The single internal speaker is 8 Ohm, so thats a match.
You could run two 16 Ohm cabs, making 8 Ohms.

Now ohm ratings tend to be fairly conservative, Bogner, Mesa/Boogie and others state that up to a 100 percent mis match is safe for their amps.

(I can't speak for the quality of Fender's OT's, so proceed with caution!)

Therefore, while not recommended, you can almost surely run a 4 - 16 ohm load. This could be two 8 ohm speakers for a 4 ohm load, or 4x 16 ohm speakers for 4 ohms. Or even a single 16 Ohm speaker.

Your DRRI internal speaker + your 4x10 classic 50 speakers would be would be 5.333 Ohms, in my mind fairly safe. However, you DRRI would have to work a lot harder to achieve the same volume it does on it's own, meaning faster tube wear, higher chance of overheating, more chance of blowing fuses, ECT. At the same time the extra projection of four more speakers will make it feel louder even when it's not

Hope that helps, feel free to hijack the thread again.

Ben

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Cool, thanks bro. I was really just curious as to how it would sound, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't blow the amp before I tried it. I'm kind of wondering what it might sound like to run a 2x10 cabinet under the 1x12 DRRI. I'm thinking maybe I could build one to match the amp. Could be cool.

Everything I've read online suggests the DRRI can handle 8ohms in each speaker jack easy enough.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

let us all know how you get on. There's several threads here about good amp techs who can fix it afterwards... :lol:
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

The point of having to unplug the internal speaker (8 ohms) and plugging in an extension cab (also 8 ohms for the sake of the point) is that a 4 x 12 cab (8 ohms) will be much louder than a 1 x 12 cab or speaker (with the same speaker type) and will sound different due to the dimensions and type of the enclosure (sealed, open, semi-open etc).

Whilst some manufacturers say that a 100% mismatch is permissible, it is not a good idea to run the amp into a lower than designed load if the bias is set such that it will, on average, spend more time in the over dissipation region of its operation that it can handle. Basically if you run the amp into too low a load you increase the risk significantly of destroying the power tubes, shortening their lifespan if they do not melt, and increasing current through the output transformer beyond the design limits.

Increasing the load on the other hand is a good way to overdrive the amp at lower power. The tubes will saturate before they cut-off as the slope of operation becomes more shallow and this will effect the tone both in class A and class AB (i.e. all valve guitar amplifers) however it may be a change that sound good so it is always worth a try.
Greenstone Amplifiers

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote:The point of having to unplug the internal speaker (8 ohms) and plugging in an extension cab (also 8 ohms for the sake of the point) is that a 4 x 12 cab (8 ohms) will be much louder than a 1 x 12 cab or speaker (with the same speaker type) and will sound different due to the dimensions and type of the enclosure (sealed, open, semi-open etc).
But if you have to unplug the main speaker, why not just plug the extension cab into the main speaker out? Why have a seperate extention speaker out?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

mr_sooty wrote:
RobRoyMcCoy wrote:The point of having to unplug the internal speaker (8 ohms) and plugging in an extension cab (also 8 ohms for the sake of the point) is that a 4 x 12 cab (8 ohms) will be much louder than a 1 x 12 cab or speaker (with the same speaker type) and will sound different due to the dimensions and type of the enclosure (sealed, open, semi-open etc).
But if you have to unplug the main speaker, why not just plug the extension cab into the main speaker out? Why have a seperate extention speaker out?
have a look at the socket.. it may be a TRS type thing that disconnects the main speaker anyway... at least, that's how I'd design it..
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

mr_sooty wrote:
It does depend oh how it is wired as RL says. The schematic would show this clearly I would imagine.

Say the OPT has an 8 ohm winding. If you plugged a 16 ohm cabinet in the extention jack and left the 8 ohm speaker in the original jack you would be presenting a 5.3 ohm load to the 8 ohm winding. This may be OK but you would need to measure the operation of the amplifier into this load to determine if it is a safe bet over time or not. You could plot this on paper if you can get the correct characteristic curves for the tubes in question and draw the load line onto it.

Alternatively, as a previous poster said (I think) you could plug 2 x 16 ohm loads into the two jacks presenting an 8 ohm load to the secondary winding.

I suggest checking the schemativ to see how the jack is wired.
Greenstone Amplifiers