Laney

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Laney

Post by shinenz »

Anyone a Laney fan? I play a TF700, have gigged it for the last 3 years, I think my playing suits the tone. Obviously my dream amp is a Mesa Nomad....but hey, one day when the funds say yes! Anyone else like Laney's, or are they still an acquired taste, or an amp for the budget? Lommi backs em ;)
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Re: Laney

Post by GrantB »

I've had a few Laneys previously....always liked 'em. The VC30 was a really great trouble free sweet sounding amp....just wish it had have had a master volume....and of course the LC15 rocked too. The newer Laneys look great...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

I've had a go on the LC15 here in Waihi, local music shop. Really liked the sound, the price wasn't to bad. Seen them got for a steal on trademe however. I just don't seem to come across many other Laney players, so many people are either Marshall or Peavy

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

There's a couple of current or ex Laney owners scattered about the place here.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

I have a GC30 loaded with a H/H, before I bought my Boogie I thought it was the best small SS amp I had heard in its range (price/single speaker). At the time I had ordered a Marshall Anv series the White series, I think that was 1982 /1983ish and it was the most crap amp I ever had in my life it was a 100w head full stack and my friends 50w half stack wasted it.. I now think there was something wrong with it but the dealer told me if was fine over and over, I heard that the 2-3rd owner, it blew up on them so must have had somehting going on..I swore I would never ever buy a marshall again. I would like to try a good Laney tube amp at somestage..
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Laneys are a well kept secret, I should delete this thread before the 2nd hand prices start to rise ;) I've got a 50 watt Protube AOR combo which has more gain than you can shake a stick at - its Soldano territory. Like a hot rod JCM800.

Theres a 30 watt version on TM at the moment at a stupid price of $100, closes tomorrow, ignore the darth vader styling this would be the best amp you're going to own for less than the price of a decent stompbox....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =194022648

You go through the hi input you get an extra gain stage - then you have footswitchable dirt and a boost Treb/Mid/Bass if you want it :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

Just checked out that amp, yes I agree the price is a steal!! Ends at a good time also if your the keen buyer, not many people about at that time on a Sunday morning. I'd buy it myself, but my wife may have some say in that!! However we did just get her a Washburn Hammerhead Bass last week! When I upgrade at some stage, I'm thinkin I'm prob going to stick with Laney, unless my budget allows for Mesa or Orange.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

My LC15 (previously Unique's) is on its way down to AYP in the new year. Awesome little amp.

Like most brands they have their good lines and their not so good (like its not fair to base you opinion of Marshall amps on an MG or VS series), I used to have a 120watt Laney HCM 2x12. It was a bit of a beast, really loud, did the SS metal thing pretty decently, or could get by as a clean amp to run a pod or similar through, but was absolutely sterile as far as any warmth goes.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

Indeed, guess it comes down to personal unique tastes in sound. The TF700 I use has a great clean channel, I use a Jimi hendrix special wah pedal, with boss delay and chorus. I don't care much for the tube distortion channels(x2), so I use a Grunge pedal for the sound I need on the heavier tracks. I guess Multi effect pedals have their place, I don't tend to use them with live performance, more of a muck around with home recording

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I used to have an all valve Laney VC50 2X12 combo.
Was an awesome amp, the only problem was that it was a bit too noisy and hissy at high gain, which was where I used it most. So have ended up with a Mesa now.
Ummm....

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I forgot to mention there is a Laney AOR 50 combo on there at the moment too, same model as mine, at a stupidly low price too - though I think the Scarecrow has his eye on that one ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Izzat that truly smegawful fugly one you bought? You were going to rehouse it. Ever get around to it?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

AOR50 owner here. As usual you buy something and more of them turn up at better prices. :(
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:Izzat that truly smegawful fugly one you bought? You were going to rehouse it. Ever get around to it?
nah I prefer it as a closed back combo....

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

I've played laney VC30 combos a number of times. Always impressed by the great clean tones. Great Trem channel too. I played an LC15 once for about 10 minutes and it sounded great (didn't try the gain channel). EL84 goodness.

Paul Gilbert sounded great through the GH50L halfstack he played when he was here.

Anyone ever tried the Laney Toni Iommi model head ? (the single channel one) I think they go for abotu 1800 ish.. ? Always wanted to have a go on one.