Good SS amp for $600ish s/h ?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

war-wolf
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Good SS amp for $600ish s/h ?

Post by war-wolf »

well i definately agree with you there :D

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

s/s overdrive sounds shit. There are reasons and its all been fully explained before, do a search ;) It doesn't matter who makes the amp, whether its Laney or whatever.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Krucifier
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Krucifier »

Why are overdrive pedals so popular then? Only the odd one has a schmube incorporated :wink:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Krucifier wrote:Why are overdrive pedals so popular then? Only the odd one has a schmube incorporated :wink:
They're designed to push a tube amp into overdrive, not an S/S amp so it doesn't matter if theres a tube in it or not :wink:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

bluesgeek wrote:s/s overdrive sounds shit. There are reasons and its all been fully explained before, do a search ;) It doesn't matter who makes the amp, whether its Laney or whatever.
Solid state sounds shit if it is trying to sound like tube overdrive, yes, and we all know why.
But I have had gear that is solid state and sounded really good.
Look at the Rocktron Propesy 2, all SS and it sounds awesome.
Anyway the OP seemed to want SS for some reason apart from not affording tubes.
If he is looking at solid state because of a tight budget, I would say to steer clear of cheap 2nd hand tube amps, because you can spend hundreds on servicing and maintainence unless you are really lucky, like I just did with the DSL.
Settle for a reliable pretty good sounding SS setup that will not require more money spent on it or just keep on saving for a good tube amp.
If I was needing a solid state amp, that laney would be something I would look at.
But I best not argue too much about it, you the boss! :D

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

Go the Laney
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

BG's just taking advantage of the fact that Rog is no longer about to jump in and defend the SS stuff.. :wink:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

rocklander wrote:BG's just taking advantage of the fact that Rog is no longer about to jump in and defend the SS stuff.. :wink:
Maybe if you email Rog and tell him that SS needs an advocate he might come back.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Aquila Rosso wrote:
rocklander wrote:BG's just taking advantage of the fact that Rog is no longer about to jump in and defend the SS stuff.. :wink:
Maybe if you email Rog and tell him that SS needs an advocate he might come back.
just dont tell him my latest purchase, might give the poor old fella a heart attack :wink: :(
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

c'mon Rog.. we knows ur lurking out there.. bite ya b@st@rd!
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass