Cab q's

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Cab q's

Post by Rog »

I'd replace one xlr with a speakon and add a jack as well - all bases covered.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 564 times

Post by TmcB »

Rog wrote:I'd replace one xlr with a speakon and add a jack as well - all bases covered.
Good idea, that
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

tonymcbony wrote:I think there was an odd period in the 80's where everyone thought XLR jacks were the next big thing in audio connection.
Yeah, I put an XLR output socket on my first bass because it seemed a very swanky bass thing to do. It means nothing if you don't have a balanced output though. I don't think its particularly useful for speakers anyway. Other than the locking function, which you can get with Neutrik or Speakon connectors anyway.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Speaking of which... Neutrik locking 1/4" jack sockets will probably fit straight in the XLR holes without having to replace that plate or drill new holes. Jansen has them at a very good price.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

ash wrote:Speaking of which... Neutrik locking 1/4" jack sockets will probably fit straight in the XLR holes without having to replace that plate or drill new holes. Jansen has them at a very good price.
Yep thats your best bet, I wouldn't worry about the second socket though, you're more likely to use an extra speaker out from your nice big tube amp (when you buy one ;) ) and the valve junior would be pushed to run a whole stack anyway :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Yes to Neutrik - I'd forgotten about them..
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

mop
Fender
Fender
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mop »

I'm keen to leave one of the xlrs alone as I've got a cable for that already. I have no idea what a speakon is....
Actually I could change them if my cables shit I suppose, just don't want to be buying another cable right now :roll: . It's proel though with a neutrik xlr and gold plated 1/4 jack so I'm guessing its decent, quite long too.
I'm not gigging it or even using with a full band yet (see my other thread about getting my bass player a bass :lol: ) so I might leave it for a bit, what do you think?

mop
Fender
Fender

Post by mop »

After reading about speakons a bit, I reckon I'll just leave the left xlr as is so I don't need a new cable and put a neutrik 1/4 in place of the right xlr for emergencys. I wont be running 2 cabs from the vj, don't even know how well it'll run 1 4x12 yet.
But I'm sweet to use the 8ohm out on my vj into either cannon input atm right?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

mop wrote:I have no idea what a speakon is....
it's a locking type connector usually only for speaker connection. also usually two pole (+ve and -ve) but sometimes four pole (one socket can deliver to two devices each with a +ve and -ve)
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

mop wrote:After reading about speakons a bit, I reckon I'll just leave the left xlr as is so I don't need a new cable and put a neutrik 1/4 in place of the right xlr for emergencys. I wont be running 2 cabs from the vj, don't even know how well it'll run 1 4x12 yet.
But I'm sweet to use the 8ohm out on my vj into either cannon input atm right?
you don't know the cab ohmage yet do you? You need to contact emenince for speaker details.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

bluesgeek wrote:you don't know the cab ohmage yet do you? You need to contact emenince for speaker details.
didnt the speaker have 8Ohm written on it?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Yeah, that label said 8 Ohms. As long as they all say that you're set.

You don't want Speakons... the cables cost HEAPS.

But the locking Neutrik ones take normal speaker cables, so they're all good if you ever choose to upgrade. The XLR will work just fine.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

couldn't see that on the laptop screen... yeah you're fine then. I wouldn't bother fitting speakons unless you plan on using it as a PA cab :lol:

mop
Fender
Fender

Post by mop »

Well the one I took out had 8 ohms and they all have the eminence labels so I think I'm ok :D .
Thanks for helping me out, much appreciated!