amp/guitar sound suggestion (contain clips)

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: amp/guitar sound suggestion (contain clips)

Post by Capt. Black »

Hot_Grits wrote:...and can we do a festival equivalent? -where you redo your designer toilet to resemble a portaloo?

Haha yeah for the Pauanui palace bach

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Capt. Black wrote:Philipnz may be loaded but he's not really "Up" in that stratoshphere if you know what I mean.

No, we need genuine opulence.
I reckon I could swing the technology side of it. Maybe even use of a Herne Bay or Waterfront palace if I can sweet talk one or two people I know.
yeah, I know. The local equivalents are always a bit low rent compared to overseas.

I can't help with the amps. My Victoria is pretty roadworn and we need spotless stuff. I always get a bout of kiwi cheapness right about the time I price roadcases. Unless we go the vintage route, whereby we're set with your lot. If there's one thing more blues lawyer-sexy than boutique amps it's actual vintage pieces...

...and I sold my PRS years ago. Ironically it was once Muzukis...
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Hot_Grits wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:Philipnz may be loaded but he's not really "Up" in that stratoshphere if you know what I mean.

No, we need genuine opulence.
I reckon I could swing the technology side of it. Maybe even use of a Herne Bay or Waterfront palace if I can sweet talk one or two people I know.
yeah, I know. The local equivalents are always a bit low rent compared to overseas.

I can't help with the amps. My Victoria is pretty roadworn and we need spotless stuff. I always get a bout of kiwi cheapness right about the time I price roadcases. Unless we go the vintage route, whereby we're set with your lot. If there's one thing more blues lawyer-sexy than boutique amps it's actual vintage pieces...

...and I sold my PRS years ago. Ironically it was once Muzukis...
Ryan will have amps. Rock shop will have guitars.

cerealkiller
Squier

Post by cerealkiller »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
sgt mukuzi wrote:as for amps go with what the good Capt is saying, check out his stuff. some people get all wanky about amps and instead of rolling back the volume pot they will reach for another "booteak" wank amp
Funnily enough, a good majority of boutique type amps are often sold on their ability to react extremely well to changes in the guitar's volume control setting, a reaction from boutique designers/builders to the inability of a lot of modern, overly-compressed master-volume production amps (particularly prevalent when the boutique thing began) to offer that kind of dynamic response.

And yes, the Capt has some fantastic old amps that are well worth checking out.

cerealkiller, definitely come and check out what I've got here and have a good play. You can play a Bogner or a 65amps along side a current product Fender Twin and a vintage MusicMan. Each will have it's strengths and weaknesses, and it's a ton of fun finding them!
yeah man i sure will thanks

cerealkiller
Squier

Post by cerealkiller »

Capt. Black wrote:CerealK. More than just big amps here. I have a weird collection of old and new, not-your-usual-suspects pedals and effects that might open up some possibilities for you. Knowing how you play you should have some fun experimenting with them.

And touching briefly on what I think Sgt. is trying to say.... I think CK already has the fender styles well covered. I think he's looking for something new and different and trying out some other gear might point him in the right direction. Or directions. Or completely turn him inside out.... or something... :D
wow cool sounds like lot of fun to be had! thanks
i am all for something that will turn me inside out :) the new format of the band has got a quite different sound now and having no drum and bass i really have to be more considerate of what i play and i find i actually started playing less and less but the overall sound is really cool. you can really hear christina piano now :) very excited about this project and that's why i really want a good sounding amp as a base. anyway will talk to you soon

cerealkiller
Squier

Post by cerealkiller »

sgt mukuzi wrote:thats correct

some sweet amps for sure, i reacted to the post about the MIM strat Vrs Usa blah blah blah omfg i am so over it.

if a guy is happy using a GT6 and a SS amp then why recomend a Carr or a Kendrik or some other USA made thing when there are fully capable people in our community making amps just as good. its because of this Yuppie BS thats all over the internet, ohhh you have to have the latest and greatest etc etc why ? and it HAS to be made in the good ol USofA

please its vomit worthy
yeah i am pretty happy with what gt6 and my roland cube can do :) ..but i definitely feel the tone can be improved.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

It looks like CK has a similar hassle about amp tone to me ATM.
I have an old V-ampire 1 from about '01. Before that I had all sorts of tube amps and rack systems in the '90s.

I have been occasionally using this amp on and off for years and have become so used to it that I'm finding plugging into a tube amp is not so easy.
The old modelling amp gives me an instant "post processed" sound that is excactly the same every day and I find that I can only play well on this amp because I'm comfortable with the sound of it and my playing style has evolved to match the V-amps response (or lack of).
Tube amps are loud and unforgiving and it seems that it will take an adjustment in my technique before I will become comfortable using the thing. The Dynamics that people rightly praise in tube amps are not easy to get used to if you have spent years mostly only using modelling amps.
At the moment I still get better sounds from my practice amp but I know that in the long run when I have relearned how to use a tube amp and make it sound sweet, then I'll retire the modelling amp.

You have a JTM 60 that you don't use, it should make some tones that suit your style for starters. I think start using it and ween yourself off the modelling. Some people can jump back and forth from tubes to modelling no prob, I know that after years of not playing tube amps, I can't, I had forgotten how to use them.