grrrrr - just as well it's under warranty

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

grrrrr - just as well it's under warranty

Post by Tsuken »

Hmmph. The Laney sounds bloody amazing alright - for about 15-20 minutes, until it gives up the ghost and the sound starts cutting out. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Back to the Rock Shop I will go on Saturday :x

It's rather weird; all the power lights are still on, but all three channels are virtually silent. On a couple of occasions I've turned the drive 2 channel volume (which was the channel I was on) up right the way to 10, and the moment the dial touched 10, the sound came back (with a big hiss and a roar :shock: ), but then went away again. It only seems to happen when I've been playing for a while, which is why I didn't notice it till I got it home. And no, I haven't done anything horrible to it; I noticed this the very first time I had a good long play thru it (in other words, as soon as I got it home 8) )

Any ideas of what it might be? I'm taking it in to the shop on Saturday anyway, as they have to fix it for me, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any ideas.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

It's allergic to Ibanez' ;););)

Sorry Ican't be of more help, hopefully the cokcshop will sort you out.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

loose speaker connections? or dodgy pot? is it crackly at all?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

bluesgeek wrote:loose speaker connections? or dodgy pot? is it crackly at all?
The speaker connections look ok. There's no crackle

And it's behaving itself right now. Damn I hate intermittent faults.

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Cause you know as soon as you take it in to get it looked at it will perform faultlessly :roll:
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Umm - Tsuken have a look at the solder joints of the a) the input jacks b) the control pots - especially the master volume one if such a beastie exists on Laneys - if in doubt remelt them with a small (and I stress small - no more than 25 watt) soldering iron but usually with this sort of thing it's fairly evident - ie wires loose, sticking out, broken off and/or not soldered.

Otherwise I'd say it's techie time!

PS Please be really carefull in there - although the mains will be off, the big power smoothing caps can hold a heck of a belt for quite some time - usually a 10 min delay is enough - and one of those electricians screwdrivers that lights up when you put it on live lines can be a real lifesaver - touch it to anything you want to touch first and if it lights up DON't touch.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Polar Bear wrote:Cause you know as soon as you take it in to get it looked at it will perform faultlessly :roll:
That's what's bugging me, alright :x

B45-12, I think it's techie time anyway. I don't fancy pulling anything to bits, and my soldering has never been the cleanest work in the world :oops: - so it would be very apparent to any tech who looked at it later that I'd been pissing about with it.

On the drive2 channel (most gain) you can hear it very very faintly if you turn the amp up quite a bit. It's still the same tone, so I figure the preamp must be working fine, but there's something either in the connection to the power amp, or in the power amp itself.

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

As long as its still on warranty, don't screw with it yourself unless its an emergency. No sense in giving away a potential free amp if things go wrong.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Absolutely - what Ash says!

I take it you have already administered the drop test?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Very mild percussive maintenance has been administered, but no more than that 8) I don't want to create any more problems. I figure (hope) that since (a) even when it goes phut, it still produces the right tone, and (b) when it amplifies it properly it works beautifully, it shouldn't be a terminal problem.

I hope... :?

Here be bloggins

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I'm sure it'll all work out to be something minor and you'll get it back and it'll be just wonderful for you....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

It sucks when things like that happen, I can't see why you won't get it fixed for free though. I don't think that they are able to be that unreasonable.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

gregtarr wrote:It sucks when things like that happen, I can't see why you won't get it fixed for free though. I don't think that they are able to be that unreasonable.
Nah - it won't be a problem. There's a 3 month warranty on it for a start, and even if there weren't, the Consumer Guarantees Act says good sold must be fit for the purpose intended; an amplifier that doesn't amplify properly clearly isn't :? I don't think they'd argue though - but I might have to leave it with them, seeing as it's fairly intermittent - though perhaps a bit less so this morning :x

Here be bloggins

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Polar Bear wrote:Cause you know as soon as you take it in to get it looked at it will perform faultlessly :roll:
Fricken Murphys Law!

Also note,
"Any tool dropped in the vacinity of an automobile (being fixed) will instantly move to the exact centre of the ground underneath the vehicle in question".

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

:lol: damn straight.

Here be bloggins