Thinking about a Line 6 Spider IV...

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

tekhammer
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Thinking about a Line 6 Spider IV...

Post by tekhammer »

After taking my piddly 5W Blackstar HT-5 to the Gearfest today, I felt like I took a piece of dandruff to a snowball fight.

So I'm thinking about flogging off the HT-5 and getting a Line 6 Spider IV 120W 2x10 combo.

Here is linkage with video:
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/04/shop/produ ... PIDERIV120

and the Spider III version with more info and a different video:
http://rockshop.co.nz/04/shop/product-f ... IDERIII120

And only $999. The reason I originally went with the Blackstar was because I wanted to get a tube amp, but I'm not all that enamoured with it, and I'm finding I play my Roland more often because it's good tones modelled right in. I'm a digital kid, so I'm going to stop fighting it. :)

Anyone have any experience with Line 6's? Good stuff, bad stuff?

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Thinking about a Line 6 Spider IV...

Post by alanp »

From what I've heard, they do what they do well (Meshuggah use them on tour, I think, and some metal band use their heads on tour, Lacuna Coil or Trivium or something (other than Meshuggah)) but aesthetically I don't like 'em. They look like overgrown alarm clocks to me, or the controls do at least.

I'm shallow, I admit it.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

I know a guy who uses em, swears by it, he is a dime bag/Zak Wylde freak, and uses a dime guitar...wont go back he reckons, ....not my thing tho...valve all the way!
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

The early ones were thin and weedy when turned up loud ... no problems with the III and IV series.

Either will serve you fine ... but make sure you take your guitar in and check it out.

Now ... the real question is ... where's the information for the Spider IV series gone?

EDIT - Steph's watching Sex And The City - so it took me an hour to find the details for 3 products but at least it's done now.
Last edited by NZRS-Dave on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

war-wolf
Gibson

Post by war-wolf »

i think they're great if you play covers-pretty shit for anything original...every single piece of line 6 gear i've heard in a live band situation has sounded AWFUL. :D
Moser 10- BCR ironbird custom 7-Gibson Voodoo sg-
Sunn O)))model T - SunnO))4x12"-EHX Cathedral-EHX POG2-digitech EX7-boss rc2-ibanez de7-
Marshall jcm 800 silver jubilee combo(2558)-Blackwidow 15"

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Last time I saw one used live it sounded fine by itself, but disappeared in the mix as soon as the clean Fender HRD came in.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

war-wolf wrote:every single piece of line 6 gear i've heard in a live band situation has sounded AWFUL. :D
Even teh Meshuggah Vettas?

tekhammer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by tekhammer »

alanp wrote:From what I've heard, they do what they do well (Meshuggah use them on tour, I think, and some metal band use their heads on tour, Lacuna Coil or Trivium or something (other than Meshuggah)) but aesthetically I don't like 'em..
Yeah, I have to admit that the look is partly why I think I skipped over them when looking for my previous amps.

There are Meshuggah and Lacuna Coil sounds built in to it. The videos show the different bands' settings. There are quite a few. And the mark IVs have got a stupid amount of effects built in, so I wouldn't need a pedal board if I find myself playing anything other than crunchy metal goodness. :)

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I can't remember which line7 amp it was, but the only guy to ever audition for us with one was instantly lost in a sea of meh when the rest of the band was playing. fine for bedroom, but didn't cut the mustard in terms of 'being noticed' in the live situ. not saying all are like that, just saying that when you're trying one out to bear in mind that what you hear in a shop with one guitar may not be what you end up hearing amongst other musos.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

tekhammer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by tekhammer »

NZRS-Dave wrote:The early ones were thin and weedy when turned up loud ... no problems with the III and IV series.
Either will serve you fine ... but make sure you take your guitar in and check it out.
Yep, will definitely do that.
NZRS-Dave wrote:Now ... the real question is ... where's the information for the Spider IV series gone?
EDIT - Steph's watching Sex And The City - so it took me an hour to find the details for 3 products but at least it's done now.
Awesome. Thanks for doing that. They look so much better now I can see all those effects listed. :)

tekhammer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by tekhammer »

rocklander wrote:I can't remember which line7 amp it was,
Bloody cheap knockoffs.

rocklander wrote:but the only guy to ever audition for us with one was instantly lost in a sea of meh when the rest of the band was playing. fine for bedroom, but didn't cut the mustard in terms of 'being noticed' in the live situ. not saying all are like that, just saying that when you're trying one out to bear in mind that what you hear in a shop with one guitar may not be what you end up hearing amongst other musos.
Well, I'm not in a band, so that's not a huge concern for me at the moment, and the only times I play with others are at the gearfests.

So what stopped it from being noticed? Not loud enough, or dull sounding, or something?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

not 'defined' enough.. it's usually the same with multi processed signals in a band situ.. the heavily digitally processed ones just turn a bit to mush when bass, other guitar and drums are there... I guess they can be less dynamic too.. dig in, and signal level says same-ish etc. imagine a band playing, and someone plays a recording of a guitar loudly at the same time... it'd just get 'lost'.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

tekhammer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by tekhammer »

ah ok, you don't remember the model of that amp? Was it one of their solid states or one of their valves?

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

It depends on the way the sound is set up to a degree.

Most n00bs turn the drive on to 10 gazillion and dial the effects to max ... giving you a fantastically processed sound. But then I do that on my UX1 as well.

On the Line6 stuff ... less is more.

Linly and Tim from Tainted had Mesa Triple Rec Stacks ... but now use the Line6 Pod Pro somethingorother live. Not only are they super portable, but they sound amazing. I think Linly worked up the sounds that they used and he makes them from scratch - doesn't mod an existing sound.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

war-wolf
Gibson

Post by war-wolf »

Jenesis wrote:
war-wolf wrote:every single piece of line 6 gear i've heard in a live band situation has sounded AWFUL. :D
Even teh Meshuggah Vettas?
never seen meshuggah and dont plan to...

well if you aren't in a band,it will be perfect.still think the ht-5 pisses over anything line 6 have made.
Moser 10- BCR ironbird custom 7-Gibson Voodoo sg-
Sunn O)))model T - SunnO))4x12"-EHX Cathedral-EHX POG2-digitech EX7-boss rc2-ibanez de7-
Marshall jcm 800 silver jubilee combo(2558)-Blackwidow 15"