DJW amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: DJW amps

Post by k1w1 »

Ah I know the guy Dave Watson, used to jam with him. He is a draughtsman by trade, was self employed in that back in 2008 when I last spoke to him. Modded one of my amps once. Self taught.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I've oft looked at his amps, and like the base principles he employs (valve type, circuit type etc)....but one thing EVERY modern amp builder should get their heads around is power scaling. To compete properly, at any boutique level, amps need to have power scaling. The parts are only worth a few bucks, but it's the actual implementation that's tricky. For those at Tronfest they can hear John Gilmores power scaling in my AC30.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

was talking to John last night... he mentioned that you near made his head explode with the last thing you had him do.. I guess that was it :lol:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

rocklander wrote:was talking to John last night... he mentioned that you near made his head explode with the last thing you had him do.. I guess that was it :lol:
erm... IB...
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I've oft looked at his amps, and like the base principles he employs (valve type, circuit type etc)....but one thing EVERY modern amp builder should get their heads around is power scaling. To compete properly, at any boutique level, amps need to have power scaling. The parts are only worth a few bucks, but it's the actual implementation that's tricky. For those at Tronfest they can hear John Gilmores power scaling in my AC30.
I've heard mixed results about power scaling so I'm not actually won over by it. Besides, there's no substitute for actual volume, you need the trousers flapping in the breeze of an overdriven speaker cone.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Unique, you mean like http://www.hallamplification.com/main.html?src=%2F#2,2 ? They seem to get good reports from Express-style amps.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

BG wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote: I've heard mixed results about power scaling so I'm not actually won over by it. Besides, there's no substitute for actual volume, you need the trousers flapping in the breeze of an overdriven speaker cone.
Just turn the scaling unit to full :P :wink:

65 Amps and my AC disengage the circuit completely when wide open...but who wants to hear ear bleeding AC volume in a small bar? Asides from me? So there is an application for it...and the naysayers usually haven't owned/played an amp with it correctly utilised.

For anyone interested in how well it works try a 65 at Ryans...they've nailed it.

@rocklander - John doesn't seem to return my phone calls anymore...and pulls his curtains when I drive past? Weird.
@alan - yes, that concept...I used london power EL84 version (obviously). Not a simple task, and there's plenty of bullshit surrounding it (some of those amp guru's we talked to in the USA were painful...self important etc)...John stuck to it and implemented very well. Amp is incredibly usable now.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

*UNIQUE* wrote: usually haven't owned/played an amp with it correctly utilised
Some of the naysayers have been amp designers... some people are quite scathing about Kevin o'Connor.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

imo O'Connor has good and bad points . Some information in his books is just incorrect (and he's yet to offer any addendum for the series :x ) and they are imo too expensive and some aren't particularly well written, but he is approachable, helpful and has replied to the queries I've put to him.
His books were however pioneering in the field of guitar amp design for serious amateurs and pros. I reckon in balance he's been a good influence on the field.

Btw I think the term powerscaling is proprietary to London Power. More generically the technology is referred to as VVR or variable voltage regulation.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

BG wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote: usually haven't owned/played an amp with it correctly utilised
Some of the naysayers have been amp designers... some people are quite scathing about Kevin o'Connor.
I don't blame them...speaking with Kevin is like trying to communicate with Yoda after he's consumed half a bottle of Absynthe.

I think amp designers probably should look at 65 Amps and take Kevin out of the equation, in terms of looking at a working principle.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

but it still comes down to that basic flaw that all attenuation suffers from, whether its a hot plate, ppimv or power scaling (Tm), you've taken the speaker out of the equation. And all of these methods suffer to an extent anyway even without the speaker - not one is entirely satisfactory, tone is diminished in some way. Even Kevin o'Connor admits this.

If you were that bothered about hitting the audience with a wall of sound, you'd be using a 2 watt Firefly :P

Just sayin ;) PPIMV works for me, might try power scaling (Tm) on my next build though.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

BG wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:I've oft looked at his amps, and like the base principles he employs (valve type, circuit type etc)....but one thing EVERY modern amp builder should get their heads around is power scaling. To compete properly, at any boutique level, amps need to have power scaling. The parts are only worth a few bucks, but it's the actual implementation that's tricky. For those at Tronfest they can hear John Gilmores power scaling in my AC30.
I've heard mixed results about power scaling so I'm not actually won over by it. Besides, there's no substitute for actual volume, you need the trousers flapping in the breeze of an overdriven speaker cone.
Finally someone has said it, Its just not the same without the punch and all!!!
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

I was talking to Rich at Rivera, they have a new Attenuator out, but it is suppose to operate differently or something. Also will not damage your amp. I would like to grab one but no funds at the moment..
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

BG wrote:but it still comes down to that basic flaw that all attenuation suffers from, whether its a hot plate, ppimv or power scaling (Tm), you've taken the speaker out of the equation. And all of these methods suffer to an extent anyway even without the speaker - not one is entirely satisfactory, tone is diminished in some way. Even Kevin o'Connor admits this.

If you were that bothered about hitting the audience with a wall of sound, you'd be using a 2 watt Firefly :P

Just sayin ;) PPIMV works for me, might try power scaling (Tm) on my next build though.
Will you admit then that PPIMV has the same effect as scaling does on a speaker?

Having had PPIMV's and compared to scaling/VVR - no contest...I pick VVR. My TopHat still has a PPIMV however, which works pretty good.

And lets call it, as Ears suggests, VVR....because that's what it is regardless of the minor tweaks to circuits, or some mad tube theorists brand.

And no arguments from me - in the studio, for full on rockin tone, that speaker has to be working hard, so everything is cranked. Live performances to smaller audiences requires a different approach. To get an AC30 cranked tone through a Celestion Blue (which by nature almost sounds like its working hard all the time) at a gig friendly volume is something that I had previously thought was impossible. Not so.

OP - anyone heard that 6V6 amp he has on there now as his "best amp"?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Tonemaker wrote:
BG wrote:
Finally someone has said it, Its just not the same without the punch and all!!!
Look, let's clear this up. You cannot beat the sound of a Marshall stack operating at the sweet point (as a representation of any amp/speaker array working at their respective peaks), but there is a place for controlled volumes when you give a fuck about the customer.