DJW amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: DJW amps

Post by Bg »

*UNIQUE* wrote: Will you admit then that PPIMV has the same effect as scaling does on a speaker?
I said back up there that all attenuation systems are flawed, they will never make a big amp sound the same only quieter. Better to get a good small amp designed for it than to try and tame a beast, every time. Its just that the 'power scaling (tm)' systems are being put forward as the universal panacea, whereas unfortunately they aren't. They can sound great on some amps while still removing some of the character of the original. But hey, this is only what I've read... so it could be bollocks.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

The Vox AD80DT I think is what I left in the states, it was adjustable but it was pretty yuk when running it all the way down to min power... I think my Laney SS 30 watt sounds better at quiet volume.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Spoke on the phone with David(DJW) last week and he said he has a new amp(think he said 6V6 power tubes) which has a very individual tone altogether compared to M,F,MB etc.I'll look forward to trying it some time soon.He was chuffed when I told him I thought his Black Robin amp was just a beauty.
Put a good GE 12AY7 in the amp and that definitely tamed the early overdrive and as I said before no parasitic oscillation when dimed. So she's now 12AY7 in V1 and chinese 12AX7 V2.
Interesting you guys are talking about power scaling, attenuation, ppimv.I got a weber attenuator last year and have played around with that, takes all amp types including 2 ohm fenders.It works alright but it's not PERFECT by a long shot.Didn't want to fork out for an Ultimate or Faustine Phantom or similar higher priced unit.Those Hallamp units look okay!!
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

goldtop0 wrote:Spoke on the phone with David(DJW) last week and he said he has a new amp(think he said 6V6 power tubes) which has a very individual tone altogether compared to M,F,MB etc.I'll look forward to trying it some time soon.He was chuffed when I told him I thought his Black Robin amp was just a beauty.
Put a good GE 12AY7 in the amp and that definitely tamed the early overdrive and as I said before no parasitic oscillation when dimed. So she's now 12AY7 in V1 and chinese 12AX7 V2.
Interesting you guys are talking about power scaling, attenuation, ppimv.I got a weber attenuator last year and have played around with that, takes all amp types including 2 ohm fenders.It works alright but it's not PERFECT by a long shot.Didn't want to fork out for an Ultimate or Faustine Phantom or similar higher priced unit.Those Hallamp units look okay!!
Yep I've got a Weber Mini Mass which is a less than satisfactory solution, but does tame a bit but my amps don't actually sound like my amps any more, even with lots of tweaking.. The Ultimate has its detractors too.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

DJW amps

Post by TmcB »

He's a bit cheeky though; bought my 4x10 cab on TM, tried to swap it for an amp and then couldn't pay. Blah to that. I'm sure his amps are alright though.

Comment edited at his request
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Dave brought his Kereru amp over yesterday (1 x 12AX7 into 1 x EL34 giving 12 Watts).

It's a pretty amazing little unit, a rock beast. He's going to bring the Mohoua (2 x EL84) over in a few weeks, which I think might be a bit more versatile.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Ahhhh the beauty of modeling amps, 95% of the real thing at a volume that doesn't wake the babies, but can be wound up to melt the wallpaper!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

DJW amps

Post by Capt. Black »

Ahhhhhh the beauty of modeling amps.... 100% safe haven for the pussy whipped.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Tin arse!!

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

A bit of a dredge, but I've been offered a DJW Kereru 10w head in a trade, I probably won't be able to keep it long, but just wanting to know if anyone here has still got one, what they think after a year or two?

I hadn't heard of them before, but some people on this thread are pretty excited about them!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

:clap: :lolno:
jeremyb wrote:Ahhhh the beauty of modeling amps, 95% of the real thing at a volume that doesn't wake the babies, but can be wound up to melt the wallpaper!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I've played two now and they both sounded very good.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

BG wrote::clap: :lolno:
jeremyb wrote:Ahhhh the beauty of modeling amps, 95% of the real thing at a volume that doesn't wake the babies, but can be wound up to melt the wallpaper!
That actually is funny!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

i'm not too sure what the resale is on these amps. he lists them on trademe, and changes the price a bit (probably in line with how desperate he is to sell them at the time.) but I'm not to sure how well they sell, and for what price.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Yip, that's kind of my problem, the only bright side is that if I was to move it on, it would only be for 3 or 4 hundi max, so not too over the top!