Your rig 5 years ago vs today

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

RUDENBARK
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Your rig 5 years ago vs today

Post by RUDENBARK »

jeremyb wrote:
RUDENBARK wrote:5yrs ago = diddly squat
now = PA

...and how the f*** does one go about affording so many amps over the years as many on here do!?
And more importantly, why? (as in, why change the sound if you've got something that works for you?)
They either work hard and save cash to buy them or put them on the tick, what's hard to understand about that??
'Scuse my ignorance. I'm coming from the perpetually-working-just-to-provide-a-roof-and-food POV. You know, the "common folk".

And yes I am, depsite the element of truth, taking the piss with this reply. :P
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Actually, this is something I was wondering about the other day after considering many of the comment that have been offered on this site.

Nothing nasty or "tall poppy"-ish or anything like that, just pure and simple observation and speculation; get the sneaky feeling that many of you good folks on here must be doing pretty alright for yourselves financially. (As in above "average". And nothing wrong with that, good on ya's).
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

druz15 wrote:2011: 50W Drewberry Plexi Clone & Orange 4x12
That was an awesome sounding combination, I'd wanted a Marshall 2x12 for so long but I really really want one of those Orange Cabs now - it just looks so right, and Jack was well impressed by it :)

myself:

back in 2006 I was just getting settled in over here and was just about to upgrade but I was rocking a Charvel 5W practice amp and a Korg Pandora PX4D headphone thingt.

2011 - I'm now using a Marshall DSL601 and I also have an HD500. (still got the korg on my desk somewhere and I gave my Charvel to my daughter for her to use)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7775 times
Been liked: 4203 times

Post by jeremyb »

RUDENBARK wrote:Actually, this is something I was wondering about the other day after considering many of the comment that have been offered on this site.

Nothing nasty or "tall poppy"-ish or anything like that, just pure and simple observation and speculation; get the sneaky feeling that many of you good folks on here must be doing pretty alright for yourselves financially. (As in above "average". And nothing wrong with that, good on ya's).
Theres a few high income earners on here for sure, but then theres some who go without a lot of other stuff as well so they can afford decent gear :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

sty wrote:I also have an HD500

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

jeremyb wrote:Theres a few high income earners on here for sure, but then theres some who go without a lot of other stuff as well so they can afford decent gear :)
No kids, no wife. Only thing I really spend money on besides guitar stuff is booze and Warcraft. That gig of IB's was the first time I went out in a couple of years.

2006: a black strat.

2011: black strat, SSS-strat, 5e3, 2204, and a 2x12.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

now = PA

...and how the f*** does one go about affording so many amps over the years as many on here do!?
And more importantly, why? (as in, why change the sound if you've got something that works for you?)
That is retarded, I genuinely hope you're having a troll. And for what it's worth, I get up at 3:15am for about $150 a week whilst I study full time. Some of us are obviously just smart with what little money we have.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Believe it or not, I still have the same rig. Talk about getting your money's worth. Crate V30H and Mesa 2x12.

Although now it is modded, and have done some speaker swappa-rooney as well. Been though billions of guitars since then, but for some reason I currently only have a ... $120 Hondo single-coil strat.

W T actual F.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

I just don't buy food.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Jenesis wrote:I just sold my kid.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

electric68 wrote:... Divided By Thirteen FTR37 for gigs (reverb and cleans to die for)...
Superb!
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Vorbis wrote:
Jenesis wrote:I just sold my kid.
If you outrightly sell, you can do pretty good. But only really if you have a steady supply of children to sell. And, of course, the steady supply of customers to sell to.

If you rent, then you can get an ongoing income from said children, along with, presumably, repeat custom. But then you have to consider upkeep costs, and having a decent amount of variety on hand. And eventually you'll be needing to sell on or trade in anyway. Bleeble dooble womble de doo, lmao.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Polar Bear wrote:
now = PA

That is retarded, I genuinely hope you're having a troll. And for what it's worth, I get up at 3:15am for about $150 a week whilst I study full time. Some of us are obviously just smart with what little money we have.
WTF are you getting up that early for?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Jun 07: Fender Custom Vibrolux reverb and a Mesa Blue Angel head (now with Stuu).

Now: Victoria Double Deluxe and a Marshall 50w head handbuilt by Ryan and myself, running into a 2x12 with a Greenback and a G12H.

For me it's been old-school, single channel amps for over ten years now.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Hamburgla
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Hamburgla »

2006 - Gibson SG -> SansAmp TriAC -> Roland Jazz Chorus. (In a metal band, no less...)

2011 - Gibson SG / Rickenbacker 620 -> Sunn T-50

Wow. Nice to realise how long I've had that guitar...