One Amp to rule them all?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

One Amp to rule them all?

Post by Bg »

Ok, theoretically sort of, if I had a big wedge of cash to lay down on 'THE' amp, what should I choose? I was thinking about this today when looking at the changing rig thread and thinking about the amps I currently own...
Bellbird is great, needs pedals though to push it - damn reliable and good tone
Fender Tweed Vibrolux clone - just great clean tone and swampy trem, not gigging vol really and not a do it all amp.
DSL50, probably the closest but the shared EQ is a pain in the arse and clean channel doesn't actually exist. Crunch, Dirt and Moar Dirt work though doesn't feel as touch sensitive as I'd like.
Flexi 50, again its really a push it with pedals job, great tone though but it takes work.

So I'm looking for an amp with great cleans, great dirt, and great gain - but I don't want any of these to comprimise any of the others i.e. great dirt tone, switch to clean and it be icepick or vice versa. Does any amp fulfill this - most importantly is readily available to test and maybe even lay down the bunce on? Budget is big on this one for once, I just want the one amp that makes me smile in all circumstances, preferably a head as I don't plan on selling any of my other amps and I'm running out of room. No bigger than a 50w ideally, but if someone convinces me I need a Marshall Major for great bedroom tone, I'll go with that :)

Been drooling over the Splawn Nitro that Ryan is selling on behalf - any opinions? Bognor?

Cheers
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: One Amp to rule them all?

Post by badmotor »

ZT Lunchbox.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

But seriously if Lotto was involved, I'd seriously like to check out the Bogner Ecstasy.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

that VHT of Highgainers.. (the first one he brought to the tronfest).. just covers so many bases.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

rocklander wrote:that VHT of Highgainers.. (the first one he brought to the tronfest).. just covers so many bases.
+1. Really versatile amp. All of the channels sounded great and it went from very usable clean to really high gain and covered everything in between.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

Rivera maybe
Originally Posted by STEEL KAGE
As for the Vid, IMHO, the guy played the notes but had none of LC vibe or finesse...

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

You need a Marshall Major. Seriously.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I love my Mesa Boogie Mark IV - hugely versatile; nice clean sound, good crunch, awesome liquid lead and takes pedals really well.

Not sure how the Mark V stacks up, but maybe even better?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Take a trip to Ryan's.

I'd suggest a 65 empire might be a place to look if the DSL does it but lacks on clean and touch sensitivity. The wattage is nice too. But I dunno if Ryan has plans to bring one in.

But just try a bunch of amps. Have fun with it. You might find a channel switcher you love. Or you might find that they don't beat what you have, which is a nice pile of stuff.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Whatever BlackStratBlues is rocking, or one of the variants that is more suited to your taste.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Try a VHT ( I guess the older ones) or a Rivera. The Fandango was really good but I wanted a 3ch so I went with the KR7. The Fandango has different power settings but the KR7 or Knuckle heads have a 120/60/30/15 power switch, the 30 and 15 might be off, might have been 25 and 12 forgot now.. It has amazing cleans and great distortion.. The other thing about Rivera's is they cut through the mix easy and sound amazing live.

Ive been doing alot of clean and blues tone on mine lately..Have been experimenting with blues tones on the dirt channels...the amp is very flexible, tons of adjustments ....
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

The new Fender 22 watt Supersonic? It even LOOKS nice!

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

badmotor wrote:ZT Lunchbox.
ZT CLUB, mothertrucker.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

badmotor wrote:ZT Lunchbox.
Banned. again.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

capt abaham wrote:Rivera maybe
let me guess... a pubster?