Speaker info

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Speaker info

Post by Tsuken »

Help needed 8)

First of all, there seem to be a bewildering array of different speakers out there - even within a particular brand - and the wattages vary widely too.

First the watts - I figure that should be easy enough with a 1x12 cabinet, as I need as many watts as my amp puts out plus some to make sure I get no speeaker distortion??

However, what brands are good (for the money, of course)... and ... within each brand what are the better choices? I'd like something really quite clear - I don't like gritty edgy guitar sounds.

Cheers
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

ah again, not neccesarily. I think you can generally get away with a speaker that is about 75% your amp output - but I would need to check on this. As you never play at max output constantly (perhaps you could with a compressor/expander) To play safe though, yes go for the same output as your amp. Don't forget you can damage a speaker just as easily by underpowering it :(

Eminence have a very good reputation, you can find a lot of info about them if you google :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

A website I found listed an eminence speaker as an alternative to a discontinued JBL speaker actually. I'd not heaerd of them before.

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

they're big in bass circles ;) we are far more discerning about our pure tone than guitarists...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

:lol: "we" is it? So you'll be flicking off that LP soon then? - you know, seeing as you're a bassist, and don't need a dirty old lead guitar. ;)

Here be bloggins

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

bluesgeek wrote:they're big in bass circles ;) we are far more discerning about our pure tone than guitarists...
You read here first folks.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nah I'll probably just hang onto it and put it on the wall and reminesce/bore anyone who will listen ;)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

bluesgeek wrote:nah I'll probably just hang onto it and put it on the wall and reminesce/bore anyone who will listen ;)

shame you stopped playing. You had that Peter Green thing all sorted

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I know mate, still when there are two much greater guitar talents in the group.....

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

bluesgeek wrote:yeah I know mate, still when there are two much greater guitar talents in the group.....
kick them out and be the diva! ;)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

angry_young_poet wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:yeah I know mate, still when there are two much greater guitar talents in the group.....
kick them out and be the diva! ;)
Na. then he will be stuck with the ones he loves

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

bluesgeek wrote:I think you can generally get away with a speaker that is about 75% your amp output - but I would need to check on this.
Your amp can put out quite a bit more instantaneous power than what it is rated at, so I think you're asking for trouble by going less or even the same as your amps rated average output.

Some brands to look out for are Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, and Weber. I probably missed a few...

If vintage tone (Fender-ish) is what you're after, Jensen or Weber with AlNiCo magnet would be the ones to go for in my opinion.

For more modern sounds, Celestion seems to be popular.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep there are two schools of thought on this one :p I can only go by what I've read on the audio forums - and it does usually end up in pitched battles

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Tsuken, if you like smooth, non-speaker generated distortion, go for one of the more modern designed speakers from Eminence or Celestion maybe. Ceraminc too possibly, as opposed to AlNiCo for the magnet. Maybe a second hand EV - they used to be great.

Of course, the original amps (Vox's, Marshalls, Fenders etc) had speakers that actually broke up and contributed to that mush adored sound. I have 2 combo's and head/bin arrangement and all have only slightly higher rating wattage than the amp. Actually, my 12 wat Trace Elliott has a Vinatge 30 in it and the amp can still make the speaker break up.

This raises another question. Do metal players use speakers that will also distort, or do they get all of their distortion from the amp/pedals setup and simply accurately project from a hugely powerful and stable speaker setup?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...