Vox AC15HW1 Hand Wired Mods

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Vox AC15HW1 Hand Wired Mods

Post by GrantB »

Ryan, just testing this theory...given that most of the original Vox tone came from everything running full bore I suspect there is more to be got from these newer amps by removing the master volume and replacing with a VVR for eg? Is that valid?

I wonder how long it will be before we see that sort of practise as standard. Seems like such a fundamental option...which I suppose given that Vox/Korg are a big corp means that it might take only 8.5 years to catch on.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

My AC30 Hand-Wired Head has a Master Volume "bypass" on/off switch. I think the whole newer 'Hand-Wired' series follow suit. They lost the EF86 V1 from the Heritage Handwired though, but that's actually a plus in my books :) - the 30/15 watt switch is handy too. These are seriously ace amps.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Ryan, just testing this theory...given that most of the original Vox tone came from everything running full bore I suspect there is more to be got from these newer amps by removing the master volume and replacing with a VVR for eg? Is that valid?

I wonder how long it will be before we see that sort of practise as standard. Seems like such a fundamental option...which I suppose given that Vox/Korg are a big corp means that it might take only 8.5 years to catch on.
As Jae says above, these newer amps have a master volume bypass switch ... same style of defeatable master as on the Matchless amps e.g. DC30. Some of the other master volume circuits are effectively out of circuit on full.

VVR would be nice though, I would definitely expect it to sound superior to a master volume. Much more expensive than a pot and defeat switch, and in the event of fault/failure it's more serious too, as it operates on the HT line - when mosfets go bang it's pretty dramatic - more hurdles for a large company I guess.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

MogwaiBoy wrote:Yep. Can you slot me in for tomorrow at 2:25? hehe JK :)

Been using the Hand-wired Head in the studio and will hopefully have some sounds to show soonish.

I usually dabble in modding by experimenting with tube swapping first. But since you have to remove the whole chassis to get at the tubes (I think, unless there's an easier way) I feel pretty reluctant to mess with it. Have you heard of the 'McAllister fix' though Ryan? My AC30HWH will need that eventually if I want to use anything other than Ruby EL84s.
The AC15 HW has the input-tube grid stoppers on the base pins as standard. Its a very easy mod and won't take a tech long if your not keen doing it yourself. Mine came with Sovtek EL84's and Ruby 12ax7's. The Ruby's sound real nice, they are late generation Chinese tubes. I put Mullard re-issue EL84's in which I prefer to the Sovtek. I also have some TubeStore 'Preferred Series' EL84's that sound nice and are built like brick shit houses.

I was tempted to put a London Power Scaling kit on my AC30 but decided to sell it and go for the AC15 instead.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Even a non master AC15 is too loud for my applications at times (to hit the sweet spot that is). The London Power Scaling kit what I used for my JMI 30. Works well but the mystique surrounding it, the install, the logic (or otherwise) was a load of BS. In the end John Gilmore did some clever engineering and got it going well. I also use the Tone pot master volume mod which when used in conjunction with the London scaling gives a very controllable volume/tone integration. Hard to describe.

All this talk about these newer HW's has got me wanting to try one now. I'm assuming M-Planet Queens St will have one or more.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

They are lovely amps, and will only get better with more playing. I think the Heritage AC15s are something else, but I'm a sucker for non-master amps. The ac30hwh is a stonking amp, sounds amazing through two blues.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

sizzlingbadger wrote: The AC15 HW has the input-tube grid stoppers on the base pins as standard. Its a very easy mod and won't take a tech long if your not keen doing it yourself. Mine came with Sovtek EL84's and Ruby 12ax7's.
Yeah II'll get John Gilmore to do the mod eventually. Not while under warranty though. My HWH seems to atleast have a Sovtek rectifier as I spied it while shining a torch in the front grillcloth... pretty sure the pre-amps and powertubes are Ruby however. I'm actually really surprised I don't want to mess with it -I'm usually such a tinkerer! It's just that good right out of the box. Definitely keen to use it in stereo with the Blues Deluxe or Bassman50 for a "best of both worlds" type arrangement.

Ryan do you know if the Master Vol on these things are pre or post phase inverter?

PS I'm so used to Fender amps (Hot Rod, Twin Reverb, etc) so I actually find the AC30 to have remarkably low headroom in comparison - which I like! I've tried it a few times (not at home) with the master volume bypassed - pure raw/roar :)

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

That my friend, is winning. I love the AC30 in stereo with my Holden Wasp!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

MV is after the PI
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I tried 27K grid stoppers this evening and there was no detectable roll off when playing clean. It does seem a little smoother on the verge of break-up especially the lower notes which is nice :-)

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Bro... respect! I simply do not have the balls or know-how to go into an amp like this with a soldering iron :)

Post phase inverter? Ahhh great, the best kind of MV - adds to the responsiveness :)

JasonH
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JasonH »

Hi
I have recently completed Nik players mod suggestions on my AC30HW2X.
Sounds incredible!!
I just wondering if anyone else has noticed a percieved difference in volume.
Mine seems to be a little quieter than it was.
Thoughts??
Cheers

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Shouldn't be any real volume drop but the fact its not so harsh may mean its perceived as slightly lower.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

You don't often have people complaining about AC30s not having enough volume...
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

JasonH wrote:Hi
I have recently completed Nik players mod suggestions on my AC30HW2X.
Sounds incredible!!
I just wondering if anyone else has noticed a percieved difference in volume.
Mine seems to be a little quieter than it was.
Thoughts??
Cheers
Was it easy to find all the bits? And how much did they cost?
I have an AC30HWH and was considering the same, am a little hesitant due to how it might effect resale though.
What differences in sound did you notice?