Someone please explain! (A 5E3 Question)

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

OK. So. I've done a little net-wandering around the 57 Deluxe Style amp... apparently known as the 5E3 circuit amp... So. Can someone please explain to me why the 15W 5E3 reissue Fender Tweed Amp with a Jensen P12R speaker costs... $4k

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/ ... r-amp.html

and my lovely 2003/4 40W Fender 'special/reissue/something - I never quite knew' Hot Rod Deluxe Tweed with Jensen P12N Speaker... cost under $2k (with some heavy bargaining on my part) back in the day.... Whats the difference?

I hit a brick wall in the Fender Tweed search for low wattage amps, as there is no such thing (in NZ voltage) in the Blues Jr Range at 15W with a Jensen, but I then discovered these 57 Deluxe's... which, apart from being hand-wired, seem to be something very special (hence the price)....but... why?!

OK, so The Edge uses a 57, 58, and 59 Deluxes in his rig, along with a pile of 60's AC30's. They are clearly tone monsters... :)

I just want to know what the difference is between that, and my amp. I mean... part of me is annoyed at having to lug around an attenuator with it, and wire it up every time... so, 15W sounds perfect (and will pair nicely with my AC15...)
Technically speaking... is my HRD pretty much the same, add an internal attenuator and I'm away....or am I better off trying to find a (reissue) 57 Deluxe second hand...?
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Someone please explain! (A 5E3 Question)

Post by alanp »

Part mojo, but mostly the chance to get money out of blues lawyers I suspect.

Edit -- I meant the monetary value, not tone and response
Last edited by alanp on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Not very the same at all is the short answer.

The only particularly 'tweed' thing about your HRD is the covering and the speaker. It's not really related to any 50s tweed fender amp circuit, of which there are many, from Champs to high power twins.

For starters, your amp runs about 40W from a power section of 6l6s. The 5E3 puts out about 14-18 watts from a pair of 6V6s. So there's a tonal difference and different distortion characteristics coming from that tube and wattage difference. The phase inverters in the power sections of the amps are also different, which definitely makes for a different tone, especially in overdrive. The HRD has channel switching, reverb and tremolo, all of which influence the overall tone of the amp simply by being there in bypass. Finally the preamps are different.

If you were to play a 5E3 you'd hear a pretty different clean and overdrive tone to your current amp. 5E3s are great amps with a distinctive sound, and you may well love what they have to offer. Many of us do. I own A Victoria Double Deluxe, which essentially a 40w version of the 5E3 circuit, and it's a fantastic amp. As well as Edge, other famous 5E3 users include Neil Young, Peter Frampton, Ronnie Wood and Eric Clapton (tremolux version).

Basically you'll need to play one to see if you like them. You already like your amp, so an attenuator with the amp you currently have is a perfectly cool way to roll. If you want a bit more portability/convenience you could install a Dr Z brake lite in the back of your HRD's cabinet.

The good news is you don't have to pay 4K to buy a hand-wired 5E3 made with all the good stuff. Ryan at Custom Audio Boutique can assemble a top-notch 5E3 or provide you with the parts for you to build your own. As far as trying one, there's at least a couple of hand-built 5E3s among the members of this forum, so maybe there's one near you that you can try. There's also a slim chance you might come across a Victoria 20112 (dead-on 5E3 clone) or similar secondhand if you keep an eye out.

If you must absolutely have the fender badge then you're beholden to the pricing whims of the fender custom shop.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

Great answer... thanks. And yep, keeping an eye out for a Victoria 20112 may be a wise idea. Like the idea of having Fender... but hey. Guess I need to hear/try one...

And... maybe I'll like my amp as much... if Matt can sell his 8ohm Attenuator for 350, I can sell mine for the same and get a Dr Z put in by Ryan. Cant hurt...
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Post by Slowy »

KentNZ wrote:Great answer... thanks. And yep, keeping an eye out for a Victoria 20112 may be a wise idea. Like the idea of having Fender... but hey. Guess I need to hear/try one...
Accepting that established brand names have an added value to some folks, there are no amps on the planet better built than CustomAudio Botique. And the man whi builds them is only a PM away.

Just saying. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 602 times

Post by Starfire »

I believe this belongs to a forum member, if it's still available.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 498060.htm

It's a great price, I think. The Weber speaker is the one to have with a 5E3. I have one in mine and it sounds great.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Ive got a dr z brake lite for sale if anyone wants one

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

dc wrote:Ive got a dr z brake lite for sale if anyone wants one
more or less than 2/3 rrp?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

maybe a swap for your ballpark? or 2/3 of it
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

BG wrote:maybe a swap for your ballpark? or 2/3 of it
So, that's approximately a ballp ?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Just to throw my hat in the ring....

The high price of the '57 Deluxe is partly Fender's pricing decision, partly the pricing whim of the NZ Fender agents, and partly a much poorer exchange rate at the time it was imported.

The good news for you is that I have had that amp in stock for far too long, and it's time I liquidated it. I will do a reasonably silly deal to get rid of it. It'll still be an expensive amp, but markedly less so...and trust me. It's an amazing amp!!! You won't know yourself from the HRD you have now.

PM me if you're insterested! Cheers
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

Despite the endless search for the perfect amp... this combo (with Hotplate) this morning was sounding... gorgeous! #myhappyplace

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Wow.. nice gear pron, oooh :)

Great idea with the pick holder on the board too. I may have to follow suit!

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

dc wrote:Ive got a dr z brake lite for sale if anyone wants one
PM on it's way.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

Did you ever get the 5E3 you were gassing for or was it just a passing phase?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.