Metalheads - What amp modeller do you use?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Hey guys,

Recently back in the game, and so much has changed. I don't even know where to start! I walked into the Rockshop the other day and it was like a completely new range of everything, except everything is so cheap now (as opposed to about 5 years ago when I had a GAS issue).

I'm looking to get a decent amp modeller so I can basically kill some tunes without waking the neighbours. A bit of recording etc. But I need a bit of help on what's good, or even out there! Sure I could google, but the best advice is from people who are out there doing it!

What would you suggest as a great Amp Modeller for Metal/Hard Rock. No post disregarded, I'm keen to hear your views!

~Zakk
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

sheepyd
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Metalheads - What amp modeller do you use?

Post by sheepyd »

haitch dee five hunney

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Hmmm, Uncle Google points to the Pod XT.

Seems to be the modeller of choice for the high gain addicts out there :twisted:
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Pod HD500
Eleven Rack
Axe FX

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Well if price isn't a concern. The a Fractal Axe FX is the weapon of choice.

I'm using a Pod HD500 which I'm happy with the sound of as far as modelers go.

I used an X3 prior to that and if it's the 'Djent' type sound you want then that or an XT would be the best choice. But if you want modern Mesa/uberachall/fireball tones the HD500 is better.
Ummm....

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

Kemper profiling amp. $$$
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

If you are just running direct into a PC a cheap toneport GX would be a good start point. The amp models are better than with the xt I have found
Last edited by willow13 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

There's a lot of GAS for the newer Axe FX (and the older ones as well I guess), but as Sopachrga points out they're really expensive.

There's a heck of a lot of love for the HD-500 if you're into modelling and multifx type units, and since release the real price seems to have dropped and they've been releasing updated and new models in SW for them so it seems to be well supported by Line6 as well.

I bought one a while back mainly to play with a whole bunch of modulation and timebased pedal stuff as picking up individual pedals was too costly for my amateur dabbling. I was/am impressed with the build quality and the range of modelled sounds available, and like you say especially great for headphone practice or hooking up to the computer. I struggled a bit with full modeling because I wasn't really experienced enough in the subtleties of real amps so preferred just using my Marshall TSL for distortion etc. however what I have learned since is that the built in presets are pants (like they are with most of this type of stuff) and you need to get in and start from the ground up.

There's a surprisingly high number of people on here that have HD500s and seem happy with them, and quite a few who are going exclusively this route for live performance and into either powered monitors or DI to the PA. There also doesn't seem to have been a vocal backlash against them so this to me is a promising thing.

I don't regret my purchase at all, even if I'm a bedroom player and have hardly scratched the surface of what it could do. So for me it was a great investment and has opened up a whole load of stuff I could experiment with and tones and sounds I could play with.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7910 times
Been liked: 4259 times

Post by jeremyb »

HD500 all the way, the older pod stuff can't touch it, with an up to date firmware there's some awesome metal amps, well anything that's awesome apart from a 5150 model :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

I'm using a HD500 into the Line 6 DT25. Used it for 3 gigs so far, no problems at all. Not really a metalhead but the sounds are there if needed. Well worth having a go through one. The DT25 has a low power switch as well so its very apartment friendly.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

opsguy wrote:I'm using a HD500 into the Line 6 DT25. Used it for 3 gigs so far, no problems at all. Not really a metalhead but the sounds are there if needed. Well worth having a go through one. The DT25 has a low power switch as well so its very apartment friendly.
so it does all the classic rock tones and lower gain stuff well??

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7910 times
Been liked: 4259 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:
opsguy wrote:I'm using a HD500 into the Line 6 DT25. Used it for 3 gigs so far, no problems at all. Not really a metalhead but the sounds are there if needed. Well worth having a go through one. The DT25 has a low power switch as well so its very apartment friendly.
The Dr Z model sounds amazing without the DT, so can only imagine what it's like with real t00b toan!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

jeremyb wrote:
willow13 wrote:
The Dr Z model sounds amazing without the DT, so can only imagine what it's like with real t00b toan!
Seems fine to me -agree with Jeremyb about the Dr Z model as well.

Most of what I play with it is your std cover band stuff - so Elvis right through to Bon Jovi. I would always rather play through the Swart but for practicality the HD500/DT25 combo is great....and once the drummer starts its all academic anyway. :)

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

I only use modellers at home as my practice rig with a toneport gx.cheap and easy...and effective!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Kris wrote:I only use modellers at home as my practice rig with a toneport gx.cheap and easy...and effective!
some of the models in pod farm sound awesome....when I had my xt I couldn't get close to them with it