Solid state Amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Solid state Amps

Post by TMG 03 »

Anybody here gigging with SS amps like JC120 etc ??

Or is that just devil talk these days? I ran my pathfinder vox at a couple of acoustic gigs last year. But I need more horse power for electric. A JC might be what I need.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7906 times
Been liked: 4256 times

Re: Solid state Amps

Post by jeremyb »

A ZT Club is a nice, light, portable option, sold mine to my bandmate who loves it, 200W (more like 80W peak), 1x12 combo, Ryan from www.ampshop.co.nz will sort you out :)

JC120 is a pretty sweet amp tho, always wanted one :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I run my acoustic through my bass amp, works surprisingly well. Though, even that has two preamp valves.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

jeremyb wrote:A ZT Club is a nice, light, portable option, sold mine to my bandmate who loves it, 200W (more like 80W peak), 1x12 combo, Ryan from http://www.ampshop.co.nz will sort you out :)

JC120 is a pretty sweet amp tho, always wanted one :)
Thanks, totally forgot about the ZT.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Post by Slowy »

Did it Saturday with a ZT Lunchbox and 2x12. Could have been worse, much worse.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Edwards
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Edwards »

I use a Crate GT212. Went from a laney head and quad, to that.
I personally think that how good your guitar is, has a higher proportion of influence over your sound, than the amp you use, but that is another whole discussion in itself.
Anyway for a cheap amp a GT212 does wonders. Has some kind of tube emulator in it, has 2 overdrive channels instead of 1, footswitch for all 3 channels, and a wide variation of sound you can get out of it. For the $ it has a nice phat sound.
ESP Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul / ESP Eclipse > Rivera Quiana 212
We are the Christians that the devil warned you about

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I’m a believer that the fingers make the tone more than anything else, and if you take the time to work with any piece of gear, you can get good results. I recently saw a 60 year old Maori gentleman tear the roof of a country pub playing rock covers with his 80’s Ibanez Strat copy, Peavey Transtube and Boss OS-2.
His ‘rock’ tone was miles better than any rock tone I’ve coaxed out of my US-made tube amp.

So yes I’d go to a good quality SS amp, I’d put in some time to make sure I was getting the best out of it, and I’d get stuck into making music.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

The new Blackstar ID Series stuff is SS and reasonably impressive!

http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/idseries/
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

bbrunskill wrote:I’m a believer that the fingers make the tone more than anything else, and if you take the time to work with any piece of gear, you can get good results. I recently saw a 60 year old Maori gentleman tear the roof of a country pub playing rock covers with his 80’s Ibanez Strat copy, Peavey Transtube and Boss OS-2.
His ‘rock’ tone was miles better than any rock tone I’ve coaxed out of my US-made tube amp.
Fingers are absolutely a part of the equation..... but I think it's equally just the experience with gear, and knowing how it works. Great tone can be got in many surprising places when one knows where to look and how to use it. The old Transtube Peavey stuff was always surprisingly good for Rock tones. Boss OS-2 is an incredible pedal with the right rig, and an utterly shit one with the wrong rig.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Delayman »

bbrunskill wrote:I’m a believer that the fingers make the tone more than anything else, and if you take the time to work with any piece of gear, you can get good results. I recently saw a 60 year old Maori gentleman tear the roof of a country pub playing rock covers with his 80’s Ibanez Strat copy, Peavey Transtube and Boss OS-2.

So yes I’d go to a good quality SS amp, I’d put in some time to make sure I was getting the best out of it, and I’d get stuck into making music.
To back up that "tone in the fingers comment" Last night I had an emergency call from a guy playing at a Sunday night church service, his all in one HD??? was cutting in an out, so I dropped my pedalboard in (tubescreamer, porkloin, dd5s etc). He's never used individual pedals before (!young!) but within minutes, he had a sound really similar to his normal tone which is quite nice. I was amazed.

Back to the original topic, I used to use a jc120 and loved it, but also have owned a Marshall Jubilee and loved it. For me the key difference seems to be in "feel" but I've gone a step further away now, and am playing with no amp, just a sansamp british pedal. The big deal for me was trying to get something that sounds tonally consistent through the volume range, the jubilee sounded great at high volume, but not when quiet - and I didn't get to roar very often! The 'no amp' thing feels a bit weird, but means I can run my pedalboard through a keyboard amp, or the pa, or even my stereo and get a consistent sound. But then again I am not a pro player, so if I was always playing loud I would be tempted to get a nice valve amp again.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

mike
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mike »

I used a Jansen Mini-Brute from 1980 to 2008 in small venues up to 300 people playing old time dance, jazz, blues and rock. I miss it a lot. Various bits of front end gear to get a tasteful distortion. Reliable as all get out.

I presently I have a Vox VT20+ which has a tube in the output stage. I wish they had amps like that when I started out.

I would love a JC120, but the excess wattage and weight and cost just don't work out for me.

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

Tech21 TradeMark 60. Gorgeous tones, and a DI for the PA built in.
Konx om Pax

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

bbrunskill wrote:I recently saw a 60 year old Maori gentleman tear the roof of a country pub playing rock covers with his 80’s Ibanez Strat copy, Peavey Transtube and Boss OS-2.
Billy TK Snr?
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

TMG 03 wrote: SS amps ....

...devil talk ... .
I meant to say earlier - banned.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Ha, I would love to get back to my 6l6 days , but I am finding a cheap SS amp does 80% of what I need at 20% of the weight.