Small(ish) Bass amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Small(ish) Bass amps

Post by null_pointer »

Okidoki, who has had a bit of experience with smaller portable bass rigs (thinking 1x15, 2x10, combo) as a lug around for smaller gigs or the onstage portion of a DI'd main? I had a little 100W SWR that Mark kindly acquired off me which I loved size-wise, but was probably 50w short in the push dept for some of the venues. I'm glancing sideways at a Warwick CCL ND8 2x10 on TM at the moment as a guide of what I'm thinking of.
Don't particularly like the sound of the Warwick Sweet 15 I'd used a while back, nor the BXR-300 Fender (too heavy anyway) - what experiences out there? I don't need a serious rig, as I have access to a Genz Benz 800w with 6x10 for the bigger outings.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Small(ish) Bass amps

Post by null_pointer »

Sorry - link to the above combo in question:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1112301152

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

don't go further than the markbass stuff. Its excellent for a small package. I'm guessing they're neo speakers, but even the little cube ones pack a bloody big punch to the solar plexus.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Bg wrote:don't go further than the markbass stuff. Its excellent for a small package. I'm guessing they're neo speakers, but even the little cube ones pack a bloody big punch to the solar plexus.
They look the biz, but look like theyd we well north of $1k second hand to get into the decent territory?

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

No experience to offer up, but this could be an alternative to the usual Fender & Warwick stuff in the same price range:

http://www.musicplanet.co.nz/amplifiers ... en-bb.html

Specs:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -combo-amp

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Yeah good NZ price for that pitched against the MF price. I think the Warwick CCL was in the $2k ballpark by the look when it was released so might be a tier up, but having not played one I can't be sure it's ideal or not. Second or third relist too so if I don't like it l, moving it on might be tough too

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

That new fender rumble 500 looks good. 500w 2x10 for under a grand, and really light to carry.

Bassist I play with now uses an older rumble 300w 2x10, which has plenty of grunt.

I sold my ampeg rig last year, so if I ever get a call up to play bass again I'm buying one.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Geez $2k for that new? Wonder how they justified that at the time. It would a couple of quality tiers up on the Ashdown. I agree with you on flogging it. Unless it's a separate cab, all the old look Warwick stuff has a hard time moving unless it's dirt cheap. That CCL is particularly unusual looking which doesn't help.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

null_pointer wrote:
Bg wrote:don't go further than the markbass stuff. Its excellent for a small package. I'm guessing they're neo speakers, but even the little cube ones pack a bloody big punch to the solar plexus.
They look the biz, but look like theyd we well north of $1k second hand to get into the decent territory?
ive seen good second hand prices, but seriously they are killer amps and you didnt say cheap...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Mattallica wrote:Geez $2k for that new? Wonder how they justified that at the time. It would a couple of quality tiers up on the Ashdown. I agree with you on flogging it. Unless it's a separate cab, all the old look Warwick stuff has a hard time moving unless it's dirt cheap. That CCL is particularly unusual looking which doesn't help.
Yeah the 1x15 version was £764.89 at Andertons when new (they've got one left at £500 ex floor), apparently the 2x10 was a small premium on that so $2k sounds about right here

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7906 times
Been liked: 4252 times

Post by jeremyb »

jimi wrote:That new fender rumble 500 looks good. 500w 2x10 for under a grand, and really light to carry.

Bassist I play with now uses an older rumble 300w 2x10, which has plenty of grunt.

I sold my ampeg rig last year, so if I ever get a call up to play bass again I'm buying one.
My drummer had a Rumble 300w and it blew a speaker, they seem to be underrated for the output of the amp, apart from that it was pretty great :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Well glad I did a decent amount of digging on the Warwick - turns out the $2k+ version was the CCL, the CCL ND8 is the Chinese-made cheaper variant (CCL was German-made), and was certainly not the same price point.

Back to the drawing board, looks like I need a nice Markbass to pop up at sub-$1k :P Also maybe I'll drop into RS and check out the Rumble 500, I wasnt a fan of the older Rumbles, but the reviews on the V3 look more promising.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

A few bass players that I've been in bands with have used the Line 6 Lowdown combo, I think the LD150 or similar? It's "modelling", but they all sounded great, were gigworthy, and relatively portable.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

slash-ed wrote:A few bass players that I've been in bands with have used the Line 6 Lowdown combo, I think the LD150 or similar? It's "modelling", but they all sounded great, were gigworthy, and relatively portable.
Interestingly enough theres a Lowdown 300 in my hood for pretty cheap - worth checking out you think?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 658472.htm

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I know jack about bass amps, but I like window shopping for gear, so here's what I found:

Looks useful:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 260608.htm

Bolt it to this, et voila, 2x10 "combo":
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 910048.htm