Practically speaking, Amp, Modellers or? A POLL

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Amp, Modeller, or Both?

Amp only, thanks very much.
48%
Modeller/Helix/Fractal etc only.
10%
Amp+Loadbox/IRs/Attenuated.
No votes
I love my amp, but gig my modeller most of the time.
8%
I love my modeller, but still gig with amp(s).
5%
Modeller for practice only.
3%
Laptop/Other.
2%
I use all of it and its all good.
24%
I don't know, give me an acoustic and a nice space, thanks.
No votes
I play bass.
2%

Total votes: 63

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Practically speaking, Amp, Modellers or? A POLL

Post by KentNZ »

So, curious to see how many people are now using what...

What are you actually using? Just that its starting to sound like people are using modellers a lot more in the past year or so. Perhaps the tech is catching up?

Comment away.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Practically speaking, Amp, Modellers or? A POLL

Post by StratMatt »

I haven't tried the AX8 yet obviously, but going on past experience with the Kemper, having sold that and gone through few amps/pedals setups its all pretty damn close. Theres nothing quite like a hot amp humming away behind you, the modellers don't replace that feeling, but I also found Ive never practised quite as much now as when I had the Kemper. It just gave such an awesome consistent tone at a house friendly level. Especially since the tones get so close to whatever song your trying to play, it really makes you want to pick the guitar up. I never got round to gigging with it so can't comment there, but I want to give it a real go with the AX8.

Amp, modellers, its all awesome and its a great time to be a guitarist :)
Loving it so far

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Lols the tech caught up quite awhile ago, it's only you old cavemen who are behind the curve... :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Amp for me, though it's mostly because:

a. I'm average with tech, so setting up patches etc seems like a lot of work.
b. I have a cool amp that does all the stuff I need within about 90% of what is required.
c. I don't trust a lot of venues to have a decent enough PA or sound tech to actually make a modelling rig sound decent.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 524 times

Post by HackSaw »

I voted for all of it.

Love my amp, love the sound and feel. Neighbours, missus, dog etc don't love it as much. Hence it's much loved, seldom used.

Love the 11r & S-Gear, Amplitube, Bias etc because of the variety, flexibility and fun of just being able to mess around, without annoying the people above.

shafter
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by shafter »

I Love tube amps and pedals.. but I also enjoy mixing in modellers with my tube amp and pedal board, ideally id love all the best amps but i cant afford or justify any of it. as i'm just a bedroom player at this point anyway.. I think a good mix of the two often works ok it may not sound exact but in some cases really close. you dont even need to spend a lot anymore, im getting what i want from Bias fx and an irig, istomp etc.. just my thoughts.
Stress... when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't been asleep yet!!

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

No option for "I use amps because I can't afford the good modellers"

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Modeling for practicality, especially when gigging. They're light, versatile and easy to set up.

Real amps sound better for clean though.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

Home practice == Little Modelling Amp
Band practice == Bigger Modeller and Powered Speaker
Gig == same as above

Personally to get a modeller as good as a (decent) tube amp you need to spend (decent) tube amp money, but the bonuses are practicality, portability, and consistency, your back will thank you :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Post by TmcB »

I haven't used a good modeller so I don't know - I've only used laptop, amplug, or pandora things.

I think the billions of options/patches is too much for my 2-bit brain but I'd say I'd enjoy it if it sounded great for quiet practice and would love it if I were doing covers gigs.

I enjoy the experience of pedal into amp into speakers the most.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Amps for now, but I can see myself getting a marshall code in a few years when they start showing up secondhand.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I like my box of valves for the shelf it offers to place picks, capo, slide, ashtray etc..
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I play bass, but my style is rather guitarlike.

I use a Vox 20W modelling guitar amp set to a clean sound. If I need more volume, well, that's what PAs are for.

The amp is nice and I like that I can access more high gain sounds, but I never really use them. But it was cool that I didn't have to agonise over what the amp's tone would be like, I knew that there'd be something I could use in there.

I like something that Eno said in an interview, that you can never become intimate with something whose boundaries are unknown, because it's always changing. If you have something with 999 patches, you'll probably never finish exploring them. He added that people's favourite tools are usually quite "limited". You have an instrument, it makes THAT sound, you learn to work with that sound. I have a few FX pedals, but I never really change the settings on them either, I like them to make that ONE sound. I can get on with making music rather than endlessly exploring options.

So yes, I like modelling but only as far as finding the sound I want. After that, I don't bother changing.
Last edited by Vince on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

Another aspect is with kids I can plug in headphones and have my gigging toan whenever I want, amps I've had over the years have had basically zero use at home due to the only time I get to practice is when the kids are in bed!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

I use amps live and at home, but only because I have very little experience with any modellers. I did use a Kemper in a studio once and I thought it was sounding pretty awesome (I think it had a Dave Mustaine patch which is the last thing Id ever imagine using) but I do still like the idea of seeing all parameters, its the same reason I still use pedals and avoided rack mount effects even though one of my amps is a rack set up. If I ever had any type of modelling thing, it would have to be used in conjunction with a power amp, I cant imagine going direct to a PA. It would be sweet if you knew EXACTLY what was going to be waiting for you at any given venue but there's always some surprise in store in my experience. So amps for me, but mostly because its what I'm used to. Im not completely avers to the idea of modelling but the fact is Im always playing live or jamming, I dont really record or anything. If I was into that more Id probably be much more interested in some type of modelling.