Guitarist magazine reviews Blues Cube in their Tone Lounge

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Guitarist magazine reviews Blues Cube in their Tone Lounge

Post by WellyBlues »

It's a 28 minute review but really well done. Better than a lot of other reviewers in my view.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ies-646396

Spoiler alert: they love it.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Guitarist magazine reviews Blues Cube in their Tone Lounge

Post by Molly »

Sounds great. And after spending half an hour today trying to identify which of my seven preamp tubes was on the blink it's all the more appealing.

Edit: Shit! You seen the price of the alternative tone capsules? The Robben Ford one is over $500!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Nice demo and totally unbiased. Not sure about those tone capsules though. The Fender Mustang series uses downloadable mods and these mods can be created by the wider community and are free. To pay for a "signature" tone at that price? Hmmm...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jvpp wrote:Nice demo and totally unbiased. Not sure about those tone capsules though. The Fender Mustang series uses downloadable mods and these mods can be created by the wider community and are free. To pay for a "signature" tone at that price? Hmmm...
Watched another review of the capsules themselves (an Australian 'Blues somethin' or other' thing). The EJ one sounded shite with humbuckers and the guy said as much. He didn't need to though. It was obvious. The two non-signature capsules sounded the best but neither were sufficiently better than the stock amp to warrant the expense.

I'm going to demo one tomorrow but, to be honest, for what they cost you could buy a shitload of tubes and if you've already got decent amps it's not worth bothering.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Tone Lounge. What a great name......

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Molly wrote:
jvpp wrote:Nice demo and totally unbiased. Not sure about those tone capsules though. The Fender Mustang series uses downloadable mods and these mods can be created by the wider community and are free. To pay for a "signature" tone at that price? Hmmm...
I'm going to demo one tomorrow but, to be honest, for what they cost you could buy a shitload of valves and if you've already got decent amps it's not worth bothering.
The amp sounded good in the video and I think for some people, the light weight would have great appeal - 18 kg I think.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

H671 wrote:
The amp sounded good in the video and I think for some people, the light weight would have great appeal - 18 kg I think.
I just lifted my Mesa RA-100 head up on to my bench so I could remove it from the case and start tracking down the 'fluttering' preamp tube. It weighs 53lbs. Kin'ell...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

And on another note on those signature tone capsules... Ain't the toan in the fingers? So how come the capsule shows a chip?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

wouldn't the EJ one just sound shite anyway? ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sakuarius102
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by sakuarius102 »

That amp sounds amazing !!, real crunch sound :-)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Had a chance to try one of these amps today. Really impressed. Not sure if you could find a tone of you own in it but I'm not sure how true that is of any amp. It's an extra $500 for the 212 model and I don't think it's worth that extra. You could get a half-decent extension cab for that kind of money and buy the more convenient 112 version of the amp.

Trying not to say anything that suggests it's good 'at the price' or 'considering it's not a tube amp'. It's just a really good amp. Shame the foot-switch doesn't come with it, and the tone-tweaking 'capsules' are way too expensive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Molly wrote:Had a chance to try one of these amps today. Really impressed. Not sure if you could find a tone of you own in it but I'm not sure how true that is of any amp. It's an extra $500 for the 212 model and I don't think it's worth that extra. You could get a half-decent extension cab for that kind of money and buy the more convenient 112 version of the amp.

Trying not to say anything that suggests it's good 'at the price' or 'considering it's not a valve amp'. It's just a really good amp. Shame the foot-switch doesn't come with it, and the tone-tweaking 'capsules' are way too expensive.

Dibs

just kidding :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Great sounding amp!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:Great sounding amp!
Indeed.

Just sold mine.... LOL

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Molly wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Great sounding amp!
Indeed.

Just sold mine.... LOL
Jeepers you were pushing your Trademe luck with that listing weren't you? 'cheaper elsewhere, go here for a better price', and the questioner put his mobile in his question! Surprised they didn't pull your listing.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days