Fender Amps Sweeping Generalisation Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Fender Amps Sweeping Generalisation Thread

Post by null_pointer »

Well I've just opted for a DRRI '65 over the Princeton Reverb '65, so thought I'd kick off a 'why' thread and see what comes out of the woodwork with others' experiences.
LOVED the Princeton. Classic warm Fender with that lovely tremolo (vibrato to Fender...) and 'verb. Giggable volume-wise as long as you don't play next to Lars or Bonham. Mine had a Celestion Gold and Mercury Magnetics transformer which definitely gave it a little more push than the factory I test-drove at the RS. No overdrive to speak of until you'd cranked the crap out of it, but thats not what you buy em for.
the DRRI (to my ears) is largely a bigger version. Louder (12" vs 10" will do that...), possibly a bit more articulate (read: less 'spongey' and 'warm') and a nicer (to my ears) onboard reverb. I thought the Princeton had a better trem (vibrato), less 'choppy' and smoother. Not to say the DRRI one is bad, just side by side I could hear subtle differences with the intensity above about 6.
Primarily I use amps as pedal platforms, so the factors in the DRRI's favour:
2 channel (so I can have a change up available easily). They're not foot-switchable so you need to use an ABY for it.
Louder (I don't have volume constraint issues, as my 'practice room' at home has a decent amount of sound baffling)
Speaker swaps a lot easier as I have a number of 12" options and no other 10" ones (other than the ones in my Bassman TV Duo 10...).
I'll definitely miss the PRRI, but really there is no good reason short of recording to have both IMHO.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Re: Fender Amps Sweeping Generalisation Thread

Post by GrantB »

Nice! I use my Princeton at home for noodling. I like the earlier break up in the PR vs DR and the sound a little fatter, but the DR has an astounding clean which is hard to beat. Both great for different reasons.

You could always use a Swart Nightlight to attenuate if need be and get some break up going on, and I know where one is for sale!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Photo needs a Suhr Tele! But not a lake placid blue one, because that belongs in MY music room...
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

My Princeton--which is a remake using 60s components--sounds way more warm and compressed than a Deluxe, quite a different tone.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

olegmcnoleg wrote:My Princeton--which is a remake using 60s components--sounds way more warm and compressed than a Deluxe, quite a different tone.
Yeah I'd noted it as more spongey and warm (compressed) vs the DRRI. If you were playing alone or in a largely clean 3 piece the PRRI would win every time. It's pretty much all Ryan Adams uses.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

null_pointer wrote:It's pretty much all Ryan Adams uses.
...Ever since that summer?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I tried a Fender HRD III recently when looking for an amp, had great cleans and reverb but I wasn't keen on the overdrive channel.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

Vince wrote:
null_pointer wrote:It's pretty much all Ryan Adams uses.
...Ever since that summer?
tbh I don't mind Ryan Adams, actually quite like some of his stuff. Bryan Adams on the other hand.....

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

I remember the first time I plugged into a DRRI,
Didn't like it at first, felt like it punched me in the face and left all my bad technique hanging out on the line. Loud rock drummer friend started jamming with me and it absolutely cut through like nothing else and the dynamics under the fingers was great, and then I realised why it was so loved. Still on my list of Fenders to get at some stage.....along with a 5E3, PR,Supersonic, Super Reverb,Vibroking, Blackface black hole to explore and a whole bunch more....I'm gonna need a better paid job!

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

I have learned that the punch is very easily mitigated by bleeding off the volume to 8 or less on Teles. Which means less ice-picky guitars would be way more mellow. I'm usually a fully dimed player but volume knobs work wonders with the DRRI

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Not so different beasts really.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I thought you'd sold the Princeton. Within minutes of offering it on here???
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Well I did have a discussion with the buyer which involved a bit of sellers remorse and the fact they would have been better served modelling it (and the DRRI). So currently still with me :)

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Seriously, this thread has exploded my GAS like nothing else.
I've been poring over schematics of the '65 and Custom versions of both the Princeton and Deluxe Reverb and it's pretty interesting how similar they all are to each other.

Kinda torn whether I go for the options of the Deluxe and deal with a bit more volume than I'm after or go with the Princeton with what seems to be just the right amount of power for playing at home - I'm not playing out these days at all. Thus the AC30 is too powerful and so is the MIG50, although that's a bit closer to my tonal vibe. I'd like to consolidate my gear though so getting down to one combo amp and two guitars is the goal.

I was thinking the Custom Deluxe might be just the ticket for me - had anyone played/considered one of those?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I have.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ