Any jet city users out there?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Any jet city users out there?

Post by griff »

Man I love my Jet City 20w head so versatile and has balls!
Just wondering who else here gigs or records with them as I don't hear of too many people playing them here in NZ.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Any jet city users out there?

Post by willow13 »

I use to own 2 of them. The JCA 22h and the 20HV. Both were great, only sold them because I got an EVH 5153

I think they are right up there as best bang for buck amps. Matt ex-Rockshop said they were really hard to shift for what ever reason...maybe the soldano name put people off who maybe looked at them as a "metal" amp
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

willow13 wrote:I use to own 2 of them. The JCA 22h and the 20HV. Both were great, only sold them because I got an EVH 5153

I think they are right up there as best bang for buck amps. Matt ex-Rockshop said they were really hard to shift for what ever reason...maybe the soldano name put people off who maybe looked at them as a "metal" amp
I feel like their price point and aesthetic didn't really sell them to people. They had fewer features than the Blackstar stuff that started popping up around the same time. You don't really see that many Jet City amps up for sale all at once, but you see a ton of Blackstar HT series stuff. Maybe it was the lack of a 5w option?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote: I feel like their price point and aesthetic didn't really sell them to people. They had fewer features than the Blackstar stuff that started popping up around the same time. You don't really see that many Jet City amps up for sale all at once, but you see a ton of Blackstar HT series stuff. Maybe it was the lack of a 5w option?
I agree about the look of them but weren't 20watt blackstar amps at least $400 more though? You could look at lots of HT amps for sale as people don't like them? and every one else is keeping their JC's :mrgreen:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

willow13 wrote:
hamo wrote: I feel like their price point and aesthetic didn't really sell them to people. They had fewer features than the Blackstar stuff that started popping up around the same time. You don't really see that many Jet City amps up for sale all at once, but you see a ton of Blackstar HT series stuff. Maybe it was the lack of a 5w option?
I agree about the look of them but weren't 20watt blackstar amps at least $400 more though? You could look at lots of HT amps for sale as people don't like them? and every one else is keeping their JC's :mrgreen:
Yeah, they were, from memory, but the 5w option was cheap and suited the bedroom set better - until now when they're all selling them... :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:
Yeah, they were, from memory, but the 5w option was cheap and suited the bedroom set better - until now when they're all selling them... :D
I tell ya man the JC KILLED the BS 5 watter I had

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Weird aesthetics and poor promotion from the company's side. Not many people knew the dual channel ones were near the 5150/Recto gain ballpark. They look like vintage rock type of amps but have way too much gain for these guys, and the metal guys overlooked them due to the aesthetics. Needed more metal screens or threadplates haha.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i agree on the aesthetic (from an angry metal guy POV) but i also hate dual recto's for the same reason.heh.
An abundance of el84's is the main reason i never gave them the time of day.I dont think ive ever played with a drummer ever where 20w was enough.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Have been happy with my JCA22, albeit lost the front panel as it wasn't for me and allowed for quicker tube changes when experimenting. Sounds good to my ears and keeps up with the band easily at practices.

I have found recently the volume cuts in and out with the master up about 7, fine down 4-5 so probably need to look at that...

One thing I did do was the depth mod, cheap/easy and packs a punch. Recommended.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I don't think you can buy a better amp for the money they change hands at present.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

chur wrote:Have been happy with my JCA22, albeit lost the front panel as it wasn't for me
whats wrong with polka dots :?:

:rofl:

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

I think I've ended up with Willows 22h which as had some re-covering done. Looks great. With a decent cab say no more.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

hamo wrote:
willow13 wrote:I use to own 2 of them. The JCA 22h and the 20HV. Both were great, only sold them because I got an EVH 5153

I feel like their price point and aesthetic didn't really sell them to people. They had fewer features than the Blackstar stuff that started popping up around the same time. You don't really see that many Jet City amps up for sale all at once, but you see a ton of Blackstar HT series stuff. Maybe it was the lack of a 5w option?
The aesthetic and name really doesn't appeal, even though they are very capable rock and even metal amps. I just pictured them as some kind of glam rock, 70's fuzzy overdrive amp (not 100% sure why), so never gave them the consideration they obviously deserve.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

MrDINO wrote:I think I've ended up with Willows 22h which as had some re-covering done. Looks great. With a decent cab say no more.
oops I thought chur did :rofl:

so whats wrong with polka dots :mrgreen:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

willow13 wrote:
MrDINO wrote:I think I've ended up with Willows 22h which as had some re-covering done. Looks great. With a decent cab say no more.
oops I thought chur did :rofl:

so whats wrong with polka dots :mrgreen:
Nothing, if you're looking for a nice, classy, but slightly retro dress for your work Chrismas do. :lol:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.