Bedroom warrior tone improvements

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7737 times
Been liked: 4181 times

Bedroom warrior tone improvements

Post by jeremyb »

Thought it was worth bringing up something that has always made a big difference for me when practicing at home, and that is to tilt your amp / cab up so the speaker is pointing at your head, the change in tone is significant, it's like taking the proverbial blanket off.... anyone else got other good suggestions?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Re: Bedroom warrior tone improvements

Post by calling card »

Don't get caught in the beam.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote:Thought it was worth bringing up something that has always made a big difference for me when practicing at home, and that is to tilt your amp / cab up so the speaker is pointing at your head, the change in tone is significant, it's like taking the proverbial blanket off
as someone pointed out when I was starting, "you can't hear with your kneecaps" :)

One thing that made a big diff for me recently was taking the back off the amp (the back on my practice amp was detachable)

It was an immediate improvement in tone. It was the best tone, yuuuge, really yuge.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Close the door and turn the amp up :D

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

play your acoustic in the bathroom with the door shut, all the tiles and hard surfaces sound great

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have an angled quad

/thread
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

willow13 wrote:I have an angled quad

/thread
And live in the woppity wops?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Yes, if your bedroom amp is a 5150 half-stack that you sit in front of, you will lose hearing in your right ear. Try also playing facing away from your amp so you can even out the hearing loss.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

LucyTheSpud
Squier
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Danger Mouse wrote:Yes, if your bedroom amp is a 5150 half-stack that you sit in front of, you will lose hearing in your right ear. Try also playing facing away from your amp so you can even out the hearing loss.
Iv never understood the concept of a 4x12 with 100watts of tube tone for bedroom warriors. In my room i use the smallest wattage possible with a single 12 or 10, so you can actually turn it up and push the tone properly, instead of choking the tubes out.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

LucyTheSpud wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Yes, if your bedroom amp is a 5150 half-stack that you sit in front of, you will lose hearing in your right ear. Try also playing facing away from your amp so you can even out the hearing loss.
Iv never understood the concept of a 4x12 with 100watts of valve tone for bedroom warriors. In my room i use the smallest wattage possible with a single 12 or 10, so you can actually turn it up and push the tone properly, instead of choking the valves out.
Depends on your opinion of whether volume and tone are different things. :P
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

1) Instead of tilting back your 1x12, simply purchase another 1x12 and put one on top of the other. Then run both.
2) Alpine ear plugs come with a cool case to put on your key ring
3) What is this talk of practicing sitting down?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Buy a Kemper or an AxeFX or a Helix. Let's be serious dem feelz ain't present at bedroom levels so you may as well sound great at least..

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Delayman wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:
Iv never understood the concept of a 4x12 with 100watts of valve tone for bedroom warriors. In my room i use the smallest wattage possible with a single 12 or 10, so you can actually turn it up and push the tone properly, instead of choking the valves out.
Depends on your opinion of whether volume and tone are different things. :P
And, in fairness, a 5150 half-stack can produce perfectly good brootz tones at hearing safe bedroom levels. But when you have the ability to add loud, temptation can take over.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

One of the issues with bedroom practicing is that the sounds that work in a bedroom do not translate well in a louder more open setting. Not sure how you address - but especially if you're programming effects etc and they don't translate well
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7737 times
Been liked: 4181 times

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote:One of the issues with bedroom practicing is that the sounds that work in a bedroom do not translate well in a louder more open setting. Not sure how you address - but especially if you're programming effects etc and they don't translate well
One of the benefits of a digital rig is I can have my gig sound at any level, was bloody handy for dialling stuff in at home or practice, and also for quiet practice sessions :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.