How do you use the stand-by switch?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: How do you use the stand-by switch?

Post by Molly »

willow13 wrote:Honestly can we safely say now that there is no such thing as an "expert" about this?
No. Just alternate facts.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

What about turning off at the plug socket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I do that, the mains switch on the back of my is left on all the time.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

sizzlingbadger wrote:

See he talks about cathode stripping which is just not true. Think of it like this, if you could really damage your expensive amp by not heating the filaments first then wouldn't an internal timer circuit that delayed the HT be much more reliable than relying on the average guitar player dufus to use the switch properly ?

Anyway I still use the one on my amp just cos its there and it does no harm either way :moresarc:
I've got a Langcaster GT30H (KLD) that does that.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

sizzlingbadger wrote:
GrantB wrote:I dunno, but they make great sounding amps

http://blog.sharemyguitar.com/amps-101- ... ps-part-4/

and after further web hunting this seems to be a heavily debated subject with experts having differing views. So maybe, just put it down to preference...

See he talks about cathode stripping which is just not true. Think of it like this, if you could really damage your expensive amp by not heating the filaments first then wouldn't an internal timer circuit that delayed the HT be much more reliable than relying on the average guitar player dufus to use the switch properly ?

Anyway I still use the one on my amp just cos its there and it does no harm either way :moresarc:
That doesnt make sense... It wont damage your expensive amp, but it might damage the tubes and they are cheap (compared to the amp) and easily replaceable. No amp manufacturer wants to overcomplicate their amps with delay circuit that will confuse your average guitarist no-nothing. Much simpler and easier for a manufacturer to go with the status quo, let the tubes suffer when they have a short lifespan anyway, not confuse anyone, and not have to bother explaining why their amp doesnt have a standby switch.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

That doesn't make sense either, like I said if it actually mattered then a delay would help but it doesn't matter so they don't need to do anything.

just save the money on the switch, no one will care.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

can I just say that over the course of this thread, I've monitored my usage of the now infamous/controversial standby switch.
I've used it maybe 60% of the time, now thats what I call Anarchy!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

When I'm gigging, I fire the amp up, make sure it's making noise, then throw it on to Standby. From there, I'll leave it for about 45min on Standby, give it a blast, put it back on Standby and hopefully remember to take it off before disappearing for 3 hours. When you have levels that you need to adhere to, flicking the volume up and down is a pain, standby, is a lot more useful. This is a UK AC30, btw.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ