How do you use the stand-by switch?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Re: How do you use the stand-by switch?

Post by TmcB »

willow13 wrote:
that all sounds like it makes sense (not that I understand any of it hehe) so can you explain why modern day amp makers still use them? surely if they are of no use then I would have thought builders would have ditched them by now
People like mute switches I guess?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Marketing I guess, and as Tony says we are used to using them as a mute switch, although its far better to just ground the audio signal to mute an amp (as per the MKV Mute switch)

They are handy for amp techs though, its safer to check the low voltage stuff is functioning with the HT out of the way. But then a tech could just remove the HT fuse ;-)

Also you know what guitarists are like, you only have to shorten a tenon by 3/8 of an inch and their bottom lip starts trembling :winky:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Here you go, two people that know what they are talking about...

http://www.londonpower.com/standby-switch

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/standby.html
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

I always used standby to warm the tubes, then flicked it on, read somewhere that turning it on when you have switched off was good for draining the caps, so felt a tiny bit safer if I was to be swapping tubes or whatever...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Here you go, two people that know what they are talking about...

shit I literally can leave my amp in "stand by" for most of the day on the weekends....shit looks like I need to change a habit :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

willow13 wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Here you go, two people that know what they are talking about...

shit I literally can leave my amp in "stand by" for most of the day on the weekends....shit looks like I need to change a habit :rofl:
And to think that we all used to believe that the Earth was flat :lol:
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:

Yeah me too.
I put it in the same basket as using a guitar lead as a speaker cable will MELTDOWN THE EARTH!!!!
Playing in the rain will KILL YOU!!!!
More people die by testing batteries on their tongue than by being HIT BY A BUS!!!!
We've all done this, and worse before the internet informed us of how it should be done, ignorance was bliss :)

P.S. DISCLAIMER: If you try any of the above and kill yourself, amp or others, I'm not at fault - just cos I got away with it once, doesn't mean you will.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

H671 wrote: And to think that we all used to believe that the Earth was flat :lol:
I guess NBA players didn't get the memo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:
Yeah me too.
I put it in the same basket as using a guitar lead as a speaker cable will MELTDOWN THE EARTH!!!!
More people die by testing batteries on their tongue than by being HIT BY A BUS!!!!
We've all done this, and worse before the internet informed us of how it should be done, ignorance was bliss :)

P.S. DISCLAIMER: If you try any of the above and kill yourself, amp or others, I'm not at fault - just cos I got away with it once, doesn't mean you will.
so yesterday I thought I would do it the "right" way and left the amp on all day with volume down. Then turned it off leaving the stand by on and got a loud pop/squeal through the speakers (like when you use to turn the old tube TV's on......amp is fine obviously but not keen on hearing that sound again so will stick to doing it "wrong" :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

willow13 wrote:so yesterday I thought I would do it the "right" way and left the amp on all day with volume down. Then turned it off leaving the stand by on and got a loud pop/squeal through the speakers (like when you use to turn the old valve TV's on......amp is fine obviously but not keen on hearing that sound again so will stick to doing it "wrong" :rofl:
Yeah, if an amp has a standby switch I use it; if it doesn't, I don't (but I have tried :mental: ). I've had amps with and without standby, and in 35 years never had a problem with either. I think this is one of those things that some people tend to over-think, and I kind of put it in the same steaming turd pile of minutia as directional patch cords and boo-teek power cables.
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:
Yeah me too.

so yesterday I thought I would do it the "right" way and left the amp on all day with volume down. Then turned it off leaving the stand by on and got a loud pop/squeal through the speakers (like when you use to turn the old valve TV's on......amp is fine obviously but not keen on hearing that sound again so will stick to doing it "wrong" :rofl:

Why leave the amp on all day ?

Its fine to switch it on and off several times. If your not using it for more than about 10 mins then just switch it off.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:
Why leave the amp on all day ?
The longer you leave it on, the better it sounds ;-)

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

My understanding is this.

The reason why older valve amps do not have standby switches is they had valve rectifiers. The valve rectifier takes a little time to heat the cathode. Heating the cathode is required for electodes to be emitted. This gradual heating process limits the electron flow and means the current (and therefore voltage as the current in flowing into a relatively static resistance) rises over time.

This "rise-time" allows the power tubes (in particular) to also heat their cathodes to make them ready to effectively emit electrons.

The cathodes on power tubes can have their rare metal coatings partly stripped by being asked to support high rates of electron flow before being adequately heated. This is also know as cathode poisoning. This is the factor in question when tube life is discussed.

As pointed out earlier in the thread solid state rectifiers do not suffer the same warm up delay as valve rectifiers. Therefore for valve amplifiers with solid state rectification a warm up period on the power tube cathodes before quiescent current flow is recommended.

I haven't checked this nor looked at this for a very long time, but if my memory serves me correctly I believe this is the background.
Greenstone Amplifiers

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Why did Fender put a standby on the Bassman which has a valve rectifier ?

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Yeah plus cathode stripping and cathode poisoning won't happen by just turning it on.

I like it when turning it off to avoid pops and sizzles, but not for much longer than 10 seconds.