Are digital modelers killing tube amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7736 times
Been liked: 4180 times

Are digital modelers killing tube amps?

Post by jeremyb »

https://web.musicaficionado.com/main.ht ... edBy=hfroe

Nothing new really, but interesting why some are choosing modelers for live use now :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Are digital modelers killing valve amps?

Post by sty »

I know you're largely trolling JB ;)

But from what I'm observing on the outside looking in it really does seem to have taken another solid step forward recently and I'm suspecting there's another big step about to released because the last stuff (Helix latest AxeFX etc.) felt like a solidifying half step forward over where the best were.

I'm beginning to think about having another go myself for my home playing as a "bedroom warrior".

I think this might be where we're going to see a major revolution in the next couple of years. I can't see why any home practice/beginners/low volume system won't go modelling and why, given the application of Moore's Law, these won't be pretty much as good as the best that is on offer today. There's really no excuse for shitty modelling or crap practice amps any more is there?

And I'm expecting to see this at pretty much entry level prices. It's a bit like the fact that there is no excuse for crap coffee these days or bad beer, there's no excuse for bad practice amps.

I think the article nails the fact that the old "authentic" stuff will still be sought after in the same way we lust after vintage Les Pauls, original Tube Screamers, vintage Plexis, old Mustangs, original Led Zep issues, first edition hard backs, etc. etc. And I'm sure it will spawn a million bootique re-issues

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I'm also seriously wondering what will happen when you can run a Helix or an Axe-FX or Kemper on your own MacBook Pro or windows laptop. Once the product becomes generic out there like all the various DAW packages did who knows what the upcoming players will do to it.

There'll be money if pro-quality IO boards and rugedised all-one stage units...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

The beauty of modellers is in the utility of them; they're light, flexible, and the tones are reproducible.

The fact is that they're still trying to ape the real thing :D

I think that modellers are fantastic for people who like tweaking and/or have a lot of sounds they'd like close at hand. I'd hate it because I like the creativity that restriction gives me and I like the process and feedback loop of tube gear.

I see this as a vinyl vs digital debate - you know there's a difference when you're in front of it, it feels different.

The roland cube amp a former student of mine had was seriously impressive for what it was - I wish I'd been able to start out with something like that, and they can only get better.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

People have been having this discussion since the GT5/POD 2.0 days.

Modellers won't kill tube amps but the "next big thing" in the modeller world will kill what's popular now.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

godgrinder wrote:People have been having this discussion since the GT5/POD 2.0 days.

Modellers won't kill valve amps but the "next big thing" in the modeller world will kill what's popular now.
This.
Just look at the guy trying to sell his gen 1 AxeFx on TM. I suspect it'll never move till it gets to HD500x pricing...

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

with Apple changing there hardware the way they do, will modelers become Wi-Fi/blu tooth or need to be cloud based in the future? will stage fireworks become stage firewalls
will one have to log in before a gig or dongle-fy there 58 les paul. that's what I worry about.
and the singer, what about the singer?
he could do tech support I guess.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

null_pointer wrote:
godgrinder wrote:People have been having this discussion since the GT5/POD 2.0 days.

Modellers won't kill valve amps but the "next big thing" in the modeller world will kill what's popular now.
This.
Just look at the guy trying to sell his gen 1 AxeFx on TM. I suspect it'll never move till it gets to HD500x pricing...

He really should wait a few years until the vintage modeller market picks up :lol:

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

jeremyb wrote:https://web.musicaficionado.com/main.ht ... edBy=hfroe

Nothing new really, but interesting why some are choosing modelers for live use now :)
Bugger!
I got lost on this website for a couple of hours soaking up the nostalgia.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Green Bastard wrote: He really should wait a few years until the vintage modeller market picks up :lol:
I knew i should have hung on to that behringer V-amp!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kris wrote:
Green Bastard wrote: He really should wait a few years until the vintage modeller market picks up :lol:
You really should have--those are the booteek vintage tones of the future. :wink: New modellers will have to simulate their simulations. :?

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

Kris wrote:
Only worth something if it comes with an all original vintage midi fbv, its the capacitors in the floorboard you see, they affect the tone...

*ahem*

I only want one, good tube amp. Its the pedals that do it for me, BUT that said...

I love my HD300, I got it for peanuts! With the amount of modeling gear becoming used, even in NZ, I think having both is realistic.

Even if you would choose a tube amp over a modeler every time (like me), having a modeler as a backup is a wonderful feeling, to know that even your amp AND pedals crap out, you've got an easy option to cover your ass. Convenient, flexible, reliable, who cares if it's "close but not the real deal"?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7736 times
Been liked: 4180 times

Post by jeremyb »

sty wrote:I'm also seriously wondering what will happen when you can run a Helix or an Axe-FX or Kemper on your own MacBook Pro or windows laptop. Once the product becomes generic out there like all the various DAW packages did who knows what the upcoming players will do to it.

There'll be money if pro-quality IO boards and rugedised all-one stage units...
Line 6 are releasing a version of Helix as a plugin :thumbup:

http://line6.com/helix-native/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I'm leading the charge from digital back to valve amps.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

they're tools....you can have both... it's not against the law...
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”