Are digital modelers killing tube amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: Are digital modelers killing valve amps?

Post by philly »

and clogs..... obviously...if you're going for the whole kossoffian dystopia
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

TmcB wrote:
Lawrence wrote:dang I used quote...kinda kills my attempt not to be picking on individuals...sorry about that,
HA! You know I wouldn't care :mrgreen:
I want to celebrate Tony....this forum survives in our ability to accept challenge and stand u for what we believe in.
Its only fun when we cam express vies in a collegial way,
I think Tony has been noble in face of my (rather harsh) challenge. Good on ya mate!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think it's an interesting debate, to be honest I like both, but it's a convenience and practicality issue for me, and I don't notice any difference in feel or tone over the tube amps I've had, but I'm not the most discerning player :lol:

I agree with Lawrence tho', in a live mix or on a recording you can't tell modelled from the real thing, it's gone thru so many layers of digital fuckery these days, but understand those who say they can "feel" a difference when playing themselves :)

Heres a crazy idea, if modellers came first would people be building toob amp copies of the models? :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

jeremyb wrote:
Heres a crazy idea, if modellers came first would people be building valve amp copies of the models? :lol:
If transistors came first imagine the crappy tones we would all be trying to replicate and how we would all be complaining of those awful valve sounds!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

One thing I agree with re: modellers is that they are simply replicating 50 year old sounds. Outside of high gain there's not a lot of innovation going on, which is a shame given a modellers' clear capabilities to push boundaries. We're largely stuck in time with guitar tones.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

null_pointer wrote:One thing I agree with re: modellers is that they are simply replicating 50 year old sounds. Outside of high gain there's not a lot of innovation going on, which is a shame given a modellers' clear capabilities to push boundaries. We're largely stuck in time with guitar tones.
The Helix developer Ben Adrian is pretty keen on NOT just copying old sounds..he calls them Dad Tones...

Its linked to that think I commented on earlier - the way so many guitarists just copy another's sound without even trying to create their own thing. Imagine if Santana, Clapton, Knofler, May, Van Halen and West all had identical tones - even worse if they all used 1980s angry bumblebee ina tin can sounds like so many do these days...

On one of my patches I dont use any guitar amp models at all - its modern clean patch and I run a Mic Pre an EQ, and a Compressor into a chorus and a plate reverb....I like it.

There are a couple of people splitting their paths with a crossover split and running the lows and highs through different amp and FX chains...the possibilities are pretty endless1
GrantB wrote:

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

To say they're simply replicating old guitar tones is a bit unfair. There's so much more that's possible with routing options, scene controllers and complete control of effects which opens up completely new sounds.
Loving it so far

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

null_pointer wrote:One thing I agree with re: modellers is that they are simply replicating 50 year old sounds. Outside of high gain there's not a lot of innovation going on, which is a shame given a modellers' clear capabilities to push boundaries. We're largely stuck in time with guitar tones.
Even with the early Pod series Line 6 were creating their own amps which weren't based on anything in particular, however I think most people feel more comfortable with replicating existing tones, I know I do :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

If you look at bias amp, you can roll your own amp with different types of power section, preamp sections etc etc etc its pretty much endless.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

"however I think most people feel more comfortable with replicating existing tones, I know I do"

Replicating tones is part of the course if you are trying to play somebody else's music. Much of that music involved the artist creating new tones of their own, during the pioneering days of the lates 60s and early 70s. They had to work at it and experiment. Many had access to cutting edge equipment in places like BBC studios and Abbey Road. This is where modelling can be of use if it is accurate enough to recreate all the character and behavior of each piece in a studio, i.e., allow the average player to experiment and create sounds at home that we formerly would have to go to an expensive studio to do.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Maybe I didn't get the point across I was after - I get that people are buying modellers to consolidate a bunch of Wow!Rare!Collectible! amps into one unit nice and cheaply. No issue with that. What I think is a shame is that digital (to me) seems to be the new frontier where innovation in sound can really be pushed without the current circuit limitations that restrict traditional amps. Yet that baton isn't really being picked up and run with to any degree.
What was the last great innovative sound/effect/tone that popped out? When was the last time you listened to a song and thought 'how the hell are they doing that??'. I'd hate to think that guitar has already explored the range of sonics we can expect, and now we're in an endless cycle of regurgitation.

Its what bought about New Wave in the first place.

I don't know what the 'new sound' is, but currently I don't really have much of a chance to make one with the gear available to me short of happy accident or a cup of spilt coffee. Whereas there are people with heads the shape of T-Rex eggs in labs who could be opening the new sound! Yes, Line6 include their own models in their units (have done even as far back as the POD2) but lets be serious they sound like any other similar toned amp (clean, crunch, HYPER etc). Do something cool! Someone, anyone...!

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Slowy wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Three Rules:

- Discharge caps and measure it. If can't remember if you discharged the caps, discharge the caps and measure it.
- Don't leave it plugged in the wall
- One hand in your back pocket at all times.
And never solder in your underpants.
What the feck have you got in your underpants that needs soldering??? :shock:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Slowy wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Three Rules:

- Discharge caps and measure it. If can't remember if you discharged the caps, discharge the caps and measure it.
What the feck have you got in your underpants that needs soldering??? :shock:
Balls of steel?
sb.jpeg
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Three Rules:

I refuse to solder 'commando'!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

Hey guys, so I haven't read the thread but is the HD500 any good?