Are digital modelers killing tube amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

LucyTheSpud
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Are digital modelers killing valve amps?

Post by LucyTheSpud »

I have a bit of a challenge for you...

Below is a link to my bands youtube channel (well, a video, i cant find an actual page link on my phone).

There are 4 videos recorded live in the studio, i did all the mix etc, and when i recorded the guitar (all instruments were live tracked, no overdubs) i recorded 1 signal straight from my guitar via DI, and 1 mic (57, slightly off axis) on the amp.

2 of the videos used the live amp tone (huge board running into Marshall Haze 40 because i cbf lugging my amp to the studio) and 2 videos are DI'd and run through Guitar Rig as the amp tone wasnt quite right.

Im curious, with the discussion here, who can actually hear which is which? Valves or models? Obviously i know and if people want to i can reveal the answer later.

https://youtu.be/Me2s9A7pvPQ

https://youtu.be/3jJV5XHcsDI

https://youtu.be/cpoUq-NLqVs

https://youtu.be/aRAz5307dAU

Also, in spirit if this discussion, i am 100% in favour of valve, but modelling has its uses. The 2 definitely should coexist, rather than 1 being necessarily "better".

Edit: it wasnt a 57, it was a Beta 181 ribbon mic on the amp, off centre from the cone by about 1/2 inch and off axis. My bad.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2095 times

Post by GrantB »

LucyTheSpud wrote:I have a bit of a challenge for you...

Below is a link to my bands youtube channel (well, a video, i cant find an actual page link on my phone).
Hey, great sounds!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

GrantB wrote:

Hey, great sounds!
Thanks! This was actually a really off night for us all, but it came out ok (enough for crappy promo to get more gigs).

What do you think of my challenge? Can you work it out?

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Post by dayl »

LucyTheSpud wrote:
All four were recorded/mixed in a demo/budget/quick sounding manner which negates the digital vs valve discussion.

It doesn't matter what you use. From a Matchless Tube to and Axe FX II etc... if its not recorded and tracked properly, you may as well be using the original Line 6 Red Bean. In fact I was just listening to a certain guitarist who has a small fortune in amazing gear who did just that on a recent release.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

dayl wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:
All four were recorded/mixed in a demo/budget/quick sounding manner which negates the digital vs valve discussion.

It doesn't matter what you use. From a Matchless valve to and Axe FX II etc... if its not recorded and tracked properly, you may as well be using the original Line 6 Red Bean. In fact I was just listening to a certain guitarist who has a small fortune in amazing gear who did just that on a recent release.
Everything was mic'd properly and mixed professionally (early stages by me, later stages and mastering by Nigel Mauchline who owns a studio in Wanganui). But my point was more, to your average listener, you cant tell which is which. If the amp was mic'd badly, surely it would be obvious which is the non amp tone?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2095 times

Post by GrantB »

LucyTheSpud wrote:
GrantB wrote:

Hey, great sounds!
Thanks! This was actually a really off night for us all, but it came out ok (enough for crappy promo to get more gigs).

I cant tell....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1016 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

LucyTheSpud wrote:
GrantB wrote:

Hey, great sounds!

Sorry, don't care about your challenge but second the 'Great Sounds' comment.

And er..... can I have your drummer please? :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Post by dayl »

LucyTheSpud wrote:
Everything was mic'd properly and mixed professionally (early stages by me, later stages and mastering by Nigel Mauchline who owns a studio in Wanganui). But my point was more, to your average listener, you cant tell which is which. If the amp was mic'd badly, surely it would be obvious which is the non amp tone?
Sorry, it doesn't sound that way. Just sounded like a bit of a well done demo. I see your point though. Regardless, like I said, it doesn't matter what you use if its screwed in the mix or somewhere in the line. Average listeners aren't always as deaf as studio geeks like to make out.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Slowy wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Hey, great sounds!

Sorry, don't care about your challenge but second the 'Great Sounds' comment.

And er..... can I have your drummer please? :D
Not a bloody chance. Hes ridiculous, and in high demand. Cited as a "musical genius" in a local paper, he can play any instrument you name better than anyone i know, and completely self taught. Recorded a whole bunch of albums himself. Daniel "motherfucking" Ashcroft. Look him up, check out his youtube stuff. Oh, and the opera that he composed himself.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1016 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

LucyTheSpud wrote: Not a bloody chance. Hes ridiculous, and in high demand. Cited as a "musical genius" in a local paper, he can play any instrument you name better than anyone i know, and completely self taught. Recorded a whole bunch of albums himself. Daniel "motherfucking" Ashcroft. Look him up, check out his youtube stuff. Oh, and the opera that he composed himself.
Not surprised; can hear it in his playing. Very cool.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.