Are digital modelers killing tube amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Are digital modelers killing valve amps?

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Pastasauce wrote:Hey guys, so I haven't read the thread but is the HD500 any good?
I had a HD500x. Not bad for modern hi gain sounds and scoop. Cleans are good too. Effects are good. Where it failed to satisfy me was more vintage overdriven tones emulating stuff like a Bassman or Plexi cranked up. Did not seem to do low gain but cranked amp vintage tones without sounding anemic. Common problem with modelling that is only just starting to be addressed in the latest generation stuff.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Pastasauce wrote:Hey guys, so I haven't read the thread but is the HD500 any good?
:lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

Having owed a POD 2 generation and a POD HD I can say that the jump in sound quality was phenomenal. The ability to change the mic made a massive difference to how a good few of the models sound "live" (any situation that isn't recording)

Anyone that's played the latest gen know if the difference is as big?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Helix is quite a step up in terms of toan, I've found the biggest problem with the HD500X I have is the cab sims, so I disable them now and use an AMT Pangaea IR loader, it's a night and day difference, really breathes some life into the models!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

its a step in tone, feel, complexity. ease of use, beauty of design, brilliance of interface, scope of use and sheer magnificence.

Not that Im impressed at all. :oops:
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

The routing options on the helix are freakin amazing, if you want to use outboard effects with it or multiple amps etc it's killer!

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

sidewinder wrote:Having owed a POD 2 generation and a POD HD I can say that the jump in sound quality was phenomenal. The ability to change the mic made a massive difference to how a good few of the models sound "live" (any situation that isn't recording)

Anyone that's played the latest gen know if the difference is as big?
have you used any of these "mics".. actual "mics?"
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

philly wrote:have you used any of these "mics".. actual "mics?"
Yeah I've used an SM57 a few times. But thats not really what I'm getting at, what I'm saying is that with a successive generation, I was able to tweak another facet of the setup that led to a better tone. It didn't have to be the mic or even based on real mics, they could have called "speaker receiver emulation" or whatever, its just another step in the software/hardware that is a POD.

Whether or not its a match for the exact same amp + mic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its natural to want to draw comparisons between it and "the real thing", but its not the real thing and never will be.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

its a little bit funny that in almost every part of life people are downgrading their experiences....listening to mp3s instead of high res audio, watching movies on TVs or even iPads instead of the big screen, talking to friends via social media instead of actually getting together, eating ready made food instead of home cooking, playing adventure games instead of having adventures ...

yet, over here in guitar land we are still chasing a rather mythical "reality" that is so obscure that no two of us can agree on what it is . :crazy:
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Lawrence wrote:over here in guitar land we are still chasing a rather mythical "reality" that is so obscure that no two of us can agree on what it is . :crazy:
Some of us are watching from the sidelines and playing red house 5 times in a row trying to get that bent vibrato "right" :P

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

JHorner wrote:
Lawrence wrote:over here in guitar land we are still chasing a rather mythical "reality" that is so obscure that no two of us can agree on what it is . :crazy:
Some of us are watching from the sidelines and playing red house 5 times in a row trying to get that bent vibrato "right" :P
of course! because, like in guitar sounds, nothing has happened in guitar performance of any importance since 1967!

(just to be clear, this is an attempt at ironic sarcasm, not my belief!)
GrantB wrote:

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Lawrence wrote:
JHorner wrote:
of course! because, like in guitar sounds, nothing has happened in guitar performance of any importance since 1967!

(just to be clear, this is an attempt at ironic sarcasm, not my belief!)
Your sarcasm is wrong, your original statement is correct. :D
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Lawrence wrote:
yet, over here in guitar land we are still chasing a rather mythical "reality" that is so obscure that no two of us can agree on what it is . :crazy:
I'm not mate...I have my tone nirvana and have no need to chase anything anymore.....the grass is very green over here
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Optical »

Ive previously used GR, Bias, Amplitube and SGear over the last few years
I thought Amplitube sounded the best, equaled by Bias but Bias has a laggy interface and is a bit of a pain to use. GR has the best workflow and interface design I think.

Then this weekend I tried TH3, wow! An interface about as good as GR, and to me sounds the best... A+ would recommend

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Optical »

For anyone interested, just found this youtube channel that has a lot of excellent TH3 sound design content.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcUeki ... EaZX6nOOiQ