Tell me about today's Fenders

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Tell me about today's Fenders

Post by MrDINO »

I'm looking to buy a Fender combo to take to practises as lugging head and cab is wearing thin. Tried a silver face reissue at RS which was cool. Can anyone shed light on a nice light weight combo. Thanks

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Tell me about today's Fenders

Post by Reg18 »

MrDINO wrote:I'm looking to buy a Fender combo to take to practises as lugging head and cab is wearing thin. Tried a silver face reissue at RS which was cool. Can anyone shed light on a nice light weight combo. Thanks

What sort of budget? Princeton Reverb is the first that comes to mind but that's not exactly Blues Junior money.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

Not sure on budget. Probably up to 1.5k?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Going new or second hand? If you can actually find someone selling one, the Princeton Reverb would fit that budget in the second hand market. Also how loud do you need it?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

MrDINO wrote:I'm looking to buy a Fender combo to take to practises as lugging head and cab is wearing thin. Tried a silver face reissue at RS which was cool. Can anyone shed light on a nice light weight combo. Thanks
I like blackface.

(That'll have me in trouble with the PC brigade LOL)
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

I've had a few Hot Rod Deluxe amps. Thought the build quality was cheap. Valve sockets mounted directly on the board led to cracking and an intermittent fault. Clean was OK.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I've just put a '68 Custom Deluxe on layby because it's the best amp I've played in years.

Absolutely love it.

And if later you feel you want to try a '65 DRRI you just change one resistor and the speaker.

There are complaints in forum land that it's got some hiss at idle. This is due to the lack of negative feedback and it being a no-master-volume amp - I a/b'd it against an AC30 with Master maxed and the AC30 had the same hiss. I'll bet if it shipped with attenuator or Master Volume there would be no complaints.

However, the GrooveTubes "valves" Fender ships their amps with are absolutely awful though - the 2 12AT7's were scratching and popping, and the 12AX7's were microphonic. So that's most of your preamp tubes that need replacing.

So there you go. I've got a set of tubes on the way to replace the preamp.

I love it but Fender don't help the awesomeness get out as easily as it could. Other than that, clean is stunning, reverb and trem are lovely, crunches like a mofo, and sounds hauntingly beautiful when you want it to.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

TmcB wrote:I've just put a '68 Custom Deluxe on layby because it's the best amp I've played in years.

Absolutely love it.

And if later you feel you want to try a '65 DRRI you just change one resistor and the speaker.

There are complaints in forum land that it's got some hiss at idle. This is due to the lack of negative feedback and it being a no-master-volume amp - I a/b'd it against an AC30 with Master maxed and the AC30 had the same hiss. I'll bet if it shipped with attenuator or Master Volume there would be no complaints.

However, the GrooveTubes "valves" Fender ships their amps with are absolutely awful though - the 2 12AT7's were scratching and popping, and the 12AX7's were microphonic. So that's most of your preamp valves that need replacing.

So there you go. I've got a set of valves on the way to replace the preamp.

I love it but Fender don't help the awesomeness get out as easily as it could. Other than that, clean is stunning, reverb and trem are lovely, crunches like a mofo, and sounds hauntingly beautiful when you want it to.
The 68 was the one I tried...very nice

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

MrDINO wrote:The 68 was the one I tried...very nice
Yessir, there are plenty of folks saying it's the best amp Fender have put out in years. It's worth the gold.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

TmcB wrote:I've just put a '68 Custom Deluxe on layby because it's the best amp I've played in years.

Absolutely love it.

However, the GrooveTubes "valves" Fender ships their amps with are absolutely awful though - the 2 12AT7's were scratching and popping, and the 12AX7's were microphonic. So that's most of your preamp valves that need replacing.

So there you go. I've got a set of valves on the way to replace the preamp.

And I was about to ask, "Has anyone tried the 68 Custom Deluxe?" :wtf:
Timing... and thanks; GAS officially alight.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Slowy wrote: And I was about to ask, "Has anyone tried the 68 Custom Deluxe?" :wtf:
Timing... and thanks; GAS officially alight.
It should be!

It's like someone took all the things I liked about my AC30 (touch sensitivity, nice dirty/clean sweet spot, taking pedals nicely, sweet midrange) and put it into a Fender (amazing reverb and trem, beautiful clean, solid lows, lighter-weight)

That is a very happy place for me.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I tried out the smaller Princeton and that was nice too. Tony, will you be using an attenuator at home to get drive or just pedals ?
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I tried out the smaller Princeton and that was nice too. Tony, will you be using an attenuator at home to get drive or just pedals ?
Both of those - although the sweet spot isn't ear-splitting I think an attenuator will help for playing in the evenings

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

DRRIs sound great around 4 in the vol knob, and that isn't actually obscenely loud. Same with Princetons, from about 3ish they start to give 'that' sound

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

null_pointer wrote:Going new or second hand? If you can actually find someone selling one, the Princeton Reverb would fit that budget in the second hand market. Also how loud do you need it?
Second hand or new. Never tried a Princeton...as long as an LP doesn't fold it up. Needs to be 20W plus really. Absolutely love the xtc Bogner with its awesome blackface cleans and drive ( unequalled imho) but trying for more versatility/less weight. See how we go