Best sounding low watt high gain heads

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Re: Best sounding low watt high gain heads

Post by NippleWrestler »

Laney AOR 30.

It's the same circuit as the bigger (50w, 100w) amps but uses a smaller power transformer and 6v6 tubes (so it's actually around 22w). Which is incidentally a JCM800 circuit with an extra tube, so more gain. Also has more EQ options since the Marsdhall tonestack is laughably minimal.

Awesome little amps, made in England in the 80s and they roar like a thunderbastard.

If you're in Auckland you can try mine if you like. I've got the AOR 30 and the AOR 50.

For the money, nothing comes close. Since these amps are mostly forgotten about (I've been speaking with Laney about a reissue) they can be had dirt cheap for what is essentially a hot-rodded Marshall.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

This could be a goer mate. Nothing wrong with a boosted JCM!

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

godgrinder wrote:
griff7628 wrote:That Engl tone is awesome. Something like that would be great. But the e530 is pretty expensive.
Just remember that it'll save you from buying a US$400 loadbox (which is a bit of a cart-before-the-horse if you're using cheap practice amps).

For under NZ$300 there isn't many options, might as well just stick to plugins. The free LePou ones are actually pretty sweet.
Hmm you have a good point here. Cheers

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

I should probably explain my reason for the loadbox.
Most of my tracking/recording will be done in the evening so the Loadbox was gonna give me the option to do this silently with, essentially, a dimed amp. Add to that the flexibility of IR's to sculpt the sound even further.
Was just looking for an option to get decent-ish high gain rhythm tones on a budget. Not too much of a fan of modeling anymore. But the Brainworx Friedman package sounds awesome. But would need to spend quite a lot getting an Apollo twin and the UAD's themselves.
I know bugger all about gear actually. Hence all my gear related q's on here haha

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

Would you still be able to get a good sound at such low volumes? Part of tone is the amp, the other is the speaker and air moving, its all of that together that I see as "amp tone"

If you're that bent on recording high gain in a "quiet" environment, maybe an iso cab would help? (not that ive used one, im expecting someone else to jump in here and add some experienced wisdom)

OR, modelling...

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

griff7628 wrote:a dimed amp.
You don't really want to dime an high gain amp. Power amp overdrive brings flub and that's the last thing you want in a high gain application. You'd want the power amp to stay clean.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

NippleWrestler wrote:Laney AOR 30.

It's the same circuit as the bigger (50w, 100w) amps but uses a smaller power transformer and 6v6 valves (so it's actually around 22w). Which is incidentally a JCM800 circuit with an extra valve, so more gain. Also has more EQ options since the Marsdhall tonestack is laughably minimal.

Awesome little amps, made in England in the 80s and they roar like a thunderbastard.

If you're in Auckland you can try mine if you like. I've got the AOR 30 and the AOR 50.

For the money, nothing comes close. Since these amps are mostly forgotten about (I've been speaking with Laney about a reissue) they can be had dirt cheap for what is essentially a hot-rodded Marshall.
You don't see too many of these now. Would love to get my hands on one, preferably a head. Not that I'd have any coin if one came up.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Laney IRT Pulse does not cost much and does the silent recording thing without a loadbox. It is a preamp really, but tries to emulate power amp, speakers and mic when going to DAW either by USB or XLR. It can reamp too, so you can try different IR options. Seems quite versatile, because IRT is thought of as a metal thing, but the dude gets jazz tones etc too.

Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I bought mine last week and the auction for the 50w ended 5 minutes ago. Keep your eyes peeled. The one today went for around $270 which is a crazy price.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

willow13 wrote:If $$ are an issue there is a second hand jet city 22h on facebook ($390 I think) ... 20 watts ... great little amps
I have the vintage model of this one - it's an awesome amp. Has both gain and volume in spades 8)

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
willow13 wrote:If $$ are an issue there is a second hand jet city 22h on facebook ($390 I think) ... 20 watts ... great little amps
I have the vintage model of this one - it's an awesome amp. Has both gain and volume in spades 8)
Love Jet City mate. Looking at getting their new Amelia amp at some stage.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Laney IRT Pulse does not cost much and does the silent recording thing without a loadbox. It is a preamp really, but tries to emulate power amp, speakers and mic when going to DAW either by USB or XLR. It can reamp too, so you can try different IR options. Seems quite versatile, because IRT is thought of as a metal thing, but the dude gets jazz tones etc too.

Man this thing sounds wicked!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

griff7628 wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:Laney IRT Pulse does not cost much and does the silent recording thing without a loadbox. It is a preamp really, but tries to emulate power amp, speakers and mic when going to DAW either by USB or XLR. It can reamp too, so you can try different IR options. Seems quite versatile, because IRT is thought of as a metal thing, but the dude gets jazz tones etc too.

Man this thing sounds wicked!
Some reviews make it sound pretty ugly, which is what I would expect from it until reverbs etc are added in DAW. But the people who really know their stuff seem to be able to get it to sound pretty damn good for a $400 box.Takes overdrive pedals etc well apparently. I am interested in one myself, but still looking into it. The IRT Studio that is an amp and loadbox as well might be overkill for using just for a USB interface, so this might be the trick.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Aquila Rossa wrote:But the people who really know their stuff seem to be able to get it to sound pretty damn good for a $400 box.
If you know what you're doing you can make any POS sound good in a mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9oMgWXC3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKIkf8ORCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3v0DZemTp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvtvstFjVuU
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

I'm actually wondering if a decent valve powered distortion pedal into my jet city might be an option.. like one of those Blackstar ones