Cab advice please

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Cab advice please

Post by jimi »

So because you only turn 40 once and because every one should have a 100w Marshall head, and cheers to Werdna for an awesome deal, I'm now looking for some cab advice.

At the moment I have it running in a single G12H 30w speaker, and the power scaling is turned right down - living room volumes only. I have a 2nd G12H speaker in a combo that could also be connected but the lead is pretty short - is there such a thing as a speaker extension lead? m-f 1/4" jack about a ft long would do it.

Also how bad is what I'm doing for either the amp or speakers? Do I need to hurry up and get a cab asap, or can I keep doing what I'm doing as long as the volumes low and nothing should blow up / get damaged.

And cab options - I don't have the boot or house space for a 4x12, so keen on getting a 2x12 that can handle 100w. What are my options? Vintage 30's or GT12T-75s? Anyone got something forsale? hoping to keep it under $500.

Cheers!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Cab advice please

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Funny how people diss 75s huh? Lots of recordings done with them. Malmsteen gets some tone from them for instance. Marshall released 100 watt 2x12 combos with two 75s, so they will be fine. Good balance between a more vintage sound and modern power handling could be a couple of 65s and they should handle 100 watts, but it could get borderline if you crank it to eleven. Seventy 80s will work too. 25s or 30s may get torn up once you go over half way with the amp

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

yeah I like 75's and they mix well with vintage 30's too. The ultimate is 4 greenbacks in a 4x12 but that doesn't help you.
oh and everyone should own a 100 watt mk1 boogie reissue as well, especially when they're 40....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

jimi wrote:Also how bad is what I'm doing for either the amp or speakers? Do I need to hurry up and get a cab asap, or can I keep doing what I'm doing as long as the volumes low and nothing should blow up / get damaged.
At home volume you'll hardly get the amp to put out 30 watts so you'll be fine.

If you're still worried, the easiest way is actually getting a speaker that can handle 100W alone. Like Celestion K100 or Hot 100. Eminence does plenty of these too.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

75s are good speakers. Maybe a cheap Marshall 2x12 one sees on TM occasionally?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

jimi wrote: I have a 2nd G12H speaker in a combo that could also be connected but the lead is pretty short - is there such a thing as a speaker extension lead? m-f 1/4" jack about a ft long would do it.
I made one. Really useful. Also made one with crocodile clips on one end for trying other hook-ups. Even though low volume might be fine (don't know that it is) I'd still ensure the impedance was matched.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Just contributing to the positive Gt75 info .I use a quad of early white label 75's occasionally , slightly mid scooped, very sweet top end thanks to the large dust caps and plenty of Marshall thump.Through a scope they look not dissimilar to the 65's they superseded . Look out for early 80's cabs and you will often find them inside.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

jimi wrote:So because you only turn 40 once and because every one should have a 100w Marshall head, and cheers to Werdna for an awesome deal, I'm now looking for some cab advice.

At the moment I have it running in a single G12H 30w speaker, and the power scaling is turned right down - living room volumes only. I have a 2nd G12H speaker in a combo that could also be connected but the lead is pretty short - is there such a thing as a speaker extension lead? m-f 1/4" jack about a ft long would do it.

Also how bad is what I'm doing for either the amp or speakers? Do I need to hurry up and get a cab asap, or can I keep doing what I'm doing as long as the volumes low and nothing should blow up / get damaged.

And cab options - I don't have the boot or house space for a 4x12, so keen on getting a 2x12 that can handle 100w. What are my options? Vintage 30's or GT12T-75s? Anyone got something forsale? hoping to keep it under $500.

Cheers!

I bought a 1/4" F to 1/4" F jack adaptor from Jaycar - very cheap but I can't find a listing for it on their website.
It is similar to this:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 332440.htm
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I currently use a 1x12 with my 90W Mesa head. A 2x12 will give you more speaker options though. There are plenty of speakers rated at 100W and you get the Eminence speakers in NZ from live sound.

I bought a Laney IRT cab new for $350 from Music Works. They have an HH 80W speaker which is reasonable sounding (fairly scooped). You could upgrade it easily though. They also do a 2x12 for $399. The build quality of the cab is about the same as the Orange cabs, not quite as nice as the Mesa cabs.

I have a Fane 100W Alnico in mine at present.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

G12H and V30 mix would be the ultimate for a hotrod marshall I reckon, but it's all subjective!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I've been really impressed with the Jet City 2x12 cab I'm running my Mark V through. Eminence speakers inside, would have to open up to check what exactly but it definitely didn't break the bank.
Loving it so far

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

StratMatt wrote:I've been really impressed with the Jet City 2x12 cab I'm running my Mark V through. Eminence speakers inside, would have to open up to check what exactly but it definitely didn't break the bank.
Eminence speakers are awesome, the Wizard I had was like a G12H30 but better! Would trade again A+++!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Have read a lot of good stuff about Vintage 30s (which are 60w?), or a V30 paired with a GT75.

This looks good, tweed aside, and a little over budget: http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 638212.htm
I like the idea of a removable back too.

Will stick my head into Musicworks and see what they have too, not opposed to Laney. Prefer to buy 2nd hand though, so keeping an eye on the facebooks and tardme.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

StratMatt wrote:I've been really impressed with the Jet City 2x12 cab I'm running my Mark V through. Eminence speakers inside, would have to open up to check what exactly but it definitely didn't break the bank.
The ones in JC are from a special OEM line in China, different from the usual USA ones on the market.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I use a V30 in my 50watt single 12 combo Marshall. bloody great!!! I love it.
it`s a 4ohm one nicked from my sons Trace Elliot Tramp. he has the 75 in it now.
so, another vote for the V30.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.