EL34 question

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: EL34 question

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:I'm not sure what the code is, but I'll get John Gilmore to explain it better. Proper 6V6 but 9 pin. He's using one in a little frankenamp along with an EL84 from memory.
I'd be keen on a pair of those if they'd work in the Jansen.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Now we have established they are 6CA7s, what is the amp you want to run them with and kind of tone you want? Those tubes are closer to 6L6s than European EL34s, so depending on the amp you are using and the kind of tone you want, you can work out if these 6CA7s are what you need.

Generally speaking, for classic Marshall tones of English players you want KT66 for early JTM era and Euro EL34s for superlead thru to JCM 800. KT88s for Marshall Major tone. Want a more American sound of modded Marshalls of LA players etc you can pick from 6L6, 6CA7, 6550, and 5881

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Now we have established they are 6CA7s, what is the amp you want to run them with and kind of tone you want? Those valves are closer to 6L6s than European EL34s, so depending on the amp you are using and the kind of tone you want, you can work out if these 6CA7s are what you need.

Generally speaking, for classic Marshall tones of English players you want KT66 for early JTM era and Euro EL34s for superlead thru to JCM 800. KT88s for Marshall Major tone. Want a more American sound of modded Marshalls of LA players etc you can pick from 6L6, 6CA7, 6550, and 5881
Thanks for the info/input :)
They would go into the Royal Atlantic
Tried a quad of 6l6s today and didn't like it so probably leave the European el34s in
Saying that testing these tubes at bedroom volume isn't really going to cut the mustard
Just was perplexed as I've had these valves for a while and thought today I'd stick them in to see if they work and then noticed the difference
:mental:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

That set of 6CA7s are probably a very good match for that amp. Most famous 6CA7 user is probably EVH and his early tone.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

p.s. My 6CA7s test almost new, but for some reason when biased into a Marshall 1987 (50 watt superlead) they only output about 30 watts compared to well over 50 watts with EL34s. Ryan at the old Amp Shop explained why, but my memory is not what it once was. Plate voltages are higher in EL34s or something.

EL34s have a rep for being warm and gritty. Distort more easily. They can handle more juice, so can be biased for more output. 6CA7s have a rep for being clear, less distorted, and enhanced bass. Choice comes down to the type of tone you are chasing. Can't hurt to try them. Mesa is self biasing with a 6L6/EL34 selector I think. Select EL34 if using 6CA7s.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Mullard created the EL34 in 1953. This was known as the Type I EL34. In 1959, the Type II EL34 appeared and was sold in the US, re-labelled as 6CA7/EL34, with RCA, GE or Sylvania logos. At this point, all of these tubes were made by Mullard, and so a 6CA7 was just the American JEDEC designation for EL34, officially bestowed around 1960.

Then Philips designed the "Fat Boy" American version of a 6CA7, which were then produced by GE and Sylvania. RCA never made a 6CA7 in their own plant. This was a departure from the original Mullard 6CA7/EL34, and was tonally more of the 6L6 family, but at the rated output of 25 watts.

The 6CA7's that EH (Sovtek) are making today are based on the Philips design as opposed to the original Mullard. Other manufacturers are making tubes based on the Mullard EL34/6CA7, for example, SED.

So essentially, there are two different types of 6CA7, the original which is going to have the sonic attributes of an EL34 because it is an EL34, and the Philips design 6CA7, which will be closer to a 6L6.

You have the latter.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Slowy wrote:
GrantB wrote:I'm not sure what the code is, but I'll get John Gilmore to explain it better. Proper 6V6 but 9 pin. He's using one in a little frankenamp along with an EL84 from memory.
I'd be keen on a pair of those if they'd work in the Jansen.
Looks like they're 6BW6. And it's likely they won't drop straight into an EL84 amp; different pin configuration I suspect.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I wouldn't think so - different voltages etc too
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves