Amp making filter sweep effect?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Amp making filter sweep effect?

Post by Dharmajester »

I'm having an issue with a couple of amps at present where when playing with a bass heavy neck pickup tone ( old school woman tone ) and the amp cranked the notes phase like they are going through a filter sweep effect. Being predominantly a neck pickup guy it's f'in annoying.
Local tech can't find anything obviously wrong and blames our rural mains supply. However I'm unconvinced as I have other amps which are performing fine in the same capacity.

Any of you amp tweekers out there have any ideas? Happy to email sound clips to anyone with diagnostic ears.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Re: Amp making filter sweep effect?

Post by Molly »

Could the tech not be right and it's maybe just something that that particular amp is susceptible to? My amps all pick up a 'ticking' noise from time to time and I've no idea what's causing it but it's pretty quiet. Next time I should also check what guitar I'm playing just in case the pickups etc. are a factor.

Hope you get it sorted.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

My amps were making a funny noise one day, and it turned out to be my phone in my pocket, interfering with my pick ups . :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Post by Reg18 »

Might be an excuse to buy a power conditioner?

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

agreed if its happening to more than one its not the amp, could be a freezer or anything, get a UPS $100 well spent PBtech or suchlike ,you'd be surprised how much dirty power is on the grid.
Ive got a mutlieffects power brick that does the same thing when plugged into one socket in house, fine in another circuit so it can happen to pedals too

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:Could the tech not be right and it's maybe just something that that particular amp is susceptible to? My amps all pick up a 'ticking' noise from time to time and I've no idea what's causing it but it's pretty quiet. Next time I should also check what guitar I'm playing just in case the pickups etc. are a factor.

Hope you get it sorted.
The ticking noise could be a nearby farmer's electric fence. Also often caused by pedals which have a charge pump inside.( 9 to 15/18v internally)

I've tried all the usual running from different outlets in different rooms etc and sure we do have horrible dirty mains however those kind of artifacts usually vary throughout a 24 hour period being affected by current fluctuating according to demand etc...

I have been reliably informed that unless you fork out several k's on a really serious international touring style mains supply unit all the lesser power conditioners are pretty much toy town.
Would a domestic UPS be grunty enough for a 50 watt valve head?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote: Would a domestic UPS be grunty enough for a 50 watt valve head?
Dunno... :-(

I bought a surge protector / four-way the other day. They asked me if I wanted one that 'cleans' the power. I declined as it was quite spendy. As you say, it's probably not that great anyway.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Take the amp into town and test it on another supply, that will rule out your power issues. Also... are they heads ? if so try a different cab to rule that out too.

A proper mains filter/cleaner is expensive, the ones in the shops generally just have a surge protecter and HF filter, not much use really.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

Dharmajester wrote:I'm having an issue with a couple of amps at present where when playing with a bass heavy neck pickup tone ( old school woman tone ) and the amp cranked the notes phase like they are going through a filter sweep effect. Being predominantly a neck pickup guy it's f'in annoying.
Local tech can't find anything obviously wrong and blames our rural mains supply. However I'm unconvinced as I have other amps which are performing fine in the same capacity.

Any of you amp tweekers out there have any ideas? Happy to email sound clips to anyone with diagnostic ears.
I've just started looking at the power supply in my studio... mainly because i feel the noise from mics, pre's etc. seems a bit high
(there is also an occasional electric fence on the same circuit)
no fridges etc tho... it's on a different loop to the house
how far from Dunedin are you Dharmajester?
does the expression "technical earth" mean anything to anyone here?
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Its usually a central ground where all equipment is grounded, often in labs they have a central copper bus bar that all equipment is earthed to. Most of the "sensitive" equipment used in the lab will have a dedicated earth connection on the rear panel and this is connected to the central earth bus bar.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

i was hoping to get away with a fence picket!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Yeah, I'm taking them in to the Albany Street uni studio with the tech at some point to test his mains theory. We are away out of town with our own transformer ( from which lunatic thieves occasionally steel the copper neutral and earth wires) on a pole outside. I have five amps here at present, three are perfectly fine but two, once the volume is over half way start this phasey malarky. Didn't have it with any previously owned kit ( Twin, Matchless Hc, Reinhardt, Goodsell, Vox, Blankenship )
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:Yeah, I'm taking them in to the Albany Street uni studio with the tech at some point to test his mains theory. We are away out of town with our own transformer ( from which lunatic thieves occasionally steel the copper neutral and earth wires) on a pole outside. I have five amps here at present, three are perfectly fine but two, once the volume is over half way start this phasey malarky. Didn't have it with any previously owned kit ( Twin, Matchless Hc, Reinhardt, Goodsell, Vox, Blankenship )
Ah, that's your problem right there. Need to get back to decent gear... ;-)

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:Yeah, I'm taking them in to the Albany Street uni studio with the tech at some point to test his mains theory. We are away out of town with our own transformer ( from which lunatic thieves occasionally steel the copper neutral and earth wires) on a pole outside. I have five amps here at present, three are perfectly fine but two, once the volume is over half way start this phasey malarky. Didn't have it with any previously owned kit ( Twin, Matchless Hc, Reinhardt, Goodsell, Vox, Blankenship )
Ok whaddya wanna sell now :lolno:
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:
Molly wrote:
Ok whaddya wanna sell now :lolno:
Step this way, Sir. We have much to discuss... ;-)