Best Boogie you've played through?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Best Boogie you've played through?

Post by Mini Forklift »

Another fan of Jet City right here. Out of all the amp's I've owned and eventually sold, my JCA20HV is still sat in the same place in my room. TBH I don't even know know if I would sell it, it's an awesome amp.

Shame that NZ Rockshop no longer deal with them :-(
Last edited by Mini Forklift on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Okay, well that one is mine now :-)
Well, not quite ;-) While you get your ducks in a row I'll drop it in for a service.

How's the ENGL?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Okay, well that one is mine now :-)
Well, not quite ;-) While you get your ducks in a row I'll drop it in for a service.

How's the ENGL?
Don't tease me haha. Cool, definitely recommend Steve Bartlett for the service Molly.

My ducklings should be hatched soon, will keep you posted. The Engl is bloody great, ballsy as.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Mesa Boogie amps I've owned:
Mk3 purple stripe
Mini rec
TA
Mk2B

The Mk2B was my pic. Great amp.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Another fan of Jet City right here. Out of all the amp's I've owned and eventually sold, my JCA20HV is still sat in the same place in my room. TBH I don't even know know if I would sell it, it's an awesome amp.

I looked on Thomann, and to get one of these new landed would be around $1200. That's a steal imo!
If I try any Boogies and they don't impress me that much, I will probably do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Hg-JWDfkg

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

There's a Mark V 25 on TM for about $1700. That will be head and shoulders over most small format heads.

I'm sure I've said this before but people who think they can't get good tone out of a Mark V variant... simply don't know how to drive the amp.

Have the manual on hand if you're trying out a MkV at a shop, learn how each mode works (they each react almost like completely different amps), and take some time to dial it in.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Another fan of Jet City right here. Out of all the amp's I've owned and eventually sold, my JCA20HV is still sat in the same place in my room. TBH I don't even know know if I would sell it, it's an awesome amp.

Much the same with my JCA22H, sounds awesome, cheap to retube and didn't cost much to begin with. With a quad it kept up with the group I played in easily enough.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Matt reckoned the RS just couldn't shift them. Madness.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

chur wrote:

Much the same with my JCA22H, sounds awesome, cheap to retube and didn't cost much to begin with. With a quad it kept up with the group I played in easily enough.
Yes. I cant believe how loud the 22h is too!
Doug said they like to use macho trannys in all their amps.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote:Matt reckoned the RS just couldn't shift them. Madness.
The originals were so ugly I'm not surprised!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

jeremyb wrote:
I agree with you. Was never a fan of the 333 logo, which they have now discontinued btw.
But I think it was more about people not knowing how good they actually are tonally. And because they're so cheap, one would assume they just dont sound good.
I swear, my 22h through a V30 sounds as good as, if not, better than my band mates DSL 40c from clean to grind. If you like Soldanos, it's a cheap way to get the SLO sound. Jet City fan for life.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

griff7628 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
I agree with you. Was never a fan of the 333 logo, which they have now discontinued btw.
But I think it was more about people not knowing how good they actually are tonally. And because they're so cheap, one would assume they just dont sound good.
I swear, my 22h through a V30 sounds as good as, if not, better than my band mates DSL 40c from clean to grind. If you like Soldanos, it's a cheap way to get the SLO sound. Jet City fan for life.
I have to admit, I wasn't blown away when I played through one of the combos early on and it didn't float my boat, but in hindsight that would be largely my lack of knowledge about what it was and how best to dial it in. The looks were a disincentive for sure, but that's typical of guitarists right? Buy with our eyes? :roll: :lol:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

It's mainly the lack of marketing effort from the manufacturer. These were arguably better sounding amps than Blackstar (which came out around the same period and in a similar price range), but the marketing effort was much poorer.

They also marketed the amp as a modding platform later on, which was a horrible idea too. Because in the eye of average consumers, that's like saying their amps are not good enough stock.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

hamo wrote:
griff7628 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
I have to admit, I wasn't blown away when I played through one of the combos early on and it didn't float my boat, but in hindsight that would be largely my lack of knowledge about what it was and how best to dial it in. The looks were a disincentive for sure, but that's typical of guitarists right? Buy with our eyes? :roll: :lol:
Yeah man that was the same with me. I brought mine 2nd hand without playing through it and when I first plugged in and played I wasn't that impressed. So I did a bit of research and the changes I made brought it to life.
I replaced all the cheap chinese tubes with tunsols and Mullard reissues, and built a decent semi open back cab with a V30 and a WGS reaper.
It's a very nice little amp that I wont get rid of.