Qs for current or former Laney IRT Studio owners.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Qs for current or former Laney IRT Studio owners.

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I had a Laney 212 cab for a while. Wasn't too bad but did have a lot of top-end to it. I suppose for the money it was a good buy but just a little too bright for my taste.
Others are saying the amp is quite dark and that is why those speakers are bright. I am not seeing that yet, but I have not run it thru a cab. Amp does not seem to have ice pick highs or fizz, which is what speaker choice would work to filter out. I am not cheeky enough to go to RS and test different cabs and then buy used off TM :D

Not in a hurry for a cab tho. Upgrade my interface and get a wah. I am a phaser addict too. Sold my one in Canada.

One thing that is hard to tell when running via cab sim without a speaker is the point at which the power section is breaking up and whether the drive is just preamp gain or not. Will suss it. Been too busy just playing it until early hours of morning to experiment with settings much yet

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I'm glad you're happy with your IRT but... considering what fantastic amps you've owned in the past, this one is the one you think sounds best?? I genuinely am surprised. Didn't think you'd be able to abandon the hotrodded Marshall thing.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

slash-ed wrote:I'm glad you're happy with your IRT but... considering what fantastic amps you've owned in the past, this one is the one you think sounds best?? I genuinely am surprised. Didn't think you'd be able to abandon the hotrodded Marshall thing.
I am surprised too, because i was prepared to sacrifice tone for function; but it's got the tone too. Bonus!

For my tastes it is just right on so many counts. Bear in mind tho that I am running it as a USB interface and not as an amp and cab setup. For this purpose it is to my ears miles ahead of any other guitar to DAW solution I have tried and as you know I have tried many.

I have not tried Kemper and AxeFX yet, but the many modelling solutions I have tried do not have the amp honesty and clarity this way of doing things does. The pick attack is there and great palm muting. Nice chewy overdrive etc.

Not so into the 'hotrodded Marshall' thing as i was. I am still very partial to the sound of the old ones though, which is why I am slowly gathering parts to build an 18 watter. Not much consensus on why some old Marshalls sound great and others don't, so there is no guarantee that an 18 watter will have that sound when i am done.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Only way I can play guitar and not get really sore after a few minutes because of my spine is to kick back on a lazy boy with the foot rest up. This way I can play for ages and not get so sore. Makes operating pedals or the foot controller difficult tho. Some stuff i can velcro to the wall next to me and hit it with my right hand to turn stuff off and on. Controlling a wah is going to be tricky tho.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Only way I can play guitar and not get really sore after a few minutes because of my spine is to kick back on a lazy boy with the foot rest up. This way I can play for ages and not get so sore. Makes operating pedals or the foot controller difficult tho. Some stuff i can velcro to the wall next to me and hit it with my right hand to turn stuff off and on. Controlling a wah is going to be tricky tho.
Auto wah pedal? Or someone (can't remember who) does some sort of bluetooth controller in a ring type gadget.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Conway wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:Only way I can play guitar and not get really sore after a few minutes because of my spine is to kick back on a lazy boy with the foot rest up. This way I can play for ages and not get so sore. Makes operating pedals or the foot controller difficult tho. Some stuff i can velcro to the wall next to me and hit it with my right hand to turn stuff off and on. Controlling a wah is going to be tricky tho.
Auto wah pedal? Or someone (can't remember who) does some sort of bluetooth controller in a ring type gadget.
http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/leg ... nd_wah.php :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

That's the one.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Been experimenting with settings try to get classic crunch tones and also some Fendery tweed like sounds. Managed okay getting ACDC like crunch, but not so much luck getting an overdriven Tweed amp sound.

Keeping the crunch channel preamp lower and really cranking the master helps, but it loses definition if the master is driven too hard. Running direct so can't say for sure until i run it with a cab, because maybe the load maxing out rather than the EL-84s getting brittle. Can get some nice broken up tones with good note definition, but it is a more modern sound really.

My impression of this amp is it sounds very good, but has its own thing going on and that is where it is most comfortable. Not a jack of all trades kind of thing. The rumor that Laney amps like being run on 6-6-6 is true here. Six is the magic number.

Tried running Guitar Rig cab and mic sim. Muffled sounding. The amp's cab sim is much better. Looked into impulse responses. So far only found stuff for doing da Djent. Keeping looking.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Out of love with the Laney. It had a gorgeous smooth overdrive tone to begin with, but the last few days It sounds buzzsaw and flubby and the gain levels have dropped off. :(

I have put a lot of hours playing time into it tho, so I suspect it is just the EL84s getting tired like Vox amps often do if they are run hard a lot. I expected this when buying it. Was my one apprehension.

Hopefully Clarry is still working and I can get him to check it out.

Got a bid on the Jackson auction closing today. Was not planning to spend on amp servicing.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

It's not too bad yet. Can squeeze a bit more life out of those EL84s by backing of the master. Finally got a sound I liked after messing with it. Missing modelling presets a bit and the way they are so consistent. Quite keen to try one of those Carpe Diem pedals they have on That Pedal Show. Won't have to stress the EL84s as much using one of those.

Tried reamping. Could not get it to. Audiobox IO is too limited. Will not let me send a signal to the Laney while also sending the master mix to the Audiobox for monitoring. This flexibility is the most important feature I need when upgrading my interface.