Speaker talk

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Speaker talk

Post by bender »

I have 2 Neos and love them. Eminence Lil Texas in the Bandmaster and Jensen Neo 100 in a VHT cab for my Quilter. I like the Eminence quite a lot more but apparently the Jensen Jet Tornados are also really good.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I like G12H's and Golds a lot. I have a Fane AXA12 Alnico which is also very nice, very smooth and darker than a Celestion Gold/Blue. My Laney has a G12H paired with a V30 and that works very well, much better than I would have thought.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

I've found the golds suit my purposes well when worn in. I've ABd many speakers and have come back to those. How ever the Hi Watt combo I'm now using has fanes in it which have been custom cut to fit so no more experiments there. They sound great with the amp.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

bender wrote:I have 2 Neos and love them. Eminence Lil Texas in the Bandmaster and Jensen Neo 100 in a VHT cab for my Quilter. I like the Eminence quite a lot more but apparently the Jensen Jet Tornados are also really good.
Neo in a Fender amp? I think that's where I'll head....10" for the Princeton maybe.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

GrantB wrote:
bender wrote:I have 2 Neos and love them. Eminence Lil Texas in the Bandmaster and Jensen Neo 100 in a VHT cab for my Quilter. I like the Eminence quite a lot more but apparently the Jensen Jet Tornados are also really good.
Neo in a Fender amp? I think that's where I'll head....10" for the Princeton maybe.
Yep, The newer Jensen Neos (Jet Tornado) and Eminence Lil Texas are both highly recommended by the various Fenderphiles out there. The 10" Jensen one would be ace. Plus they're super lightweight.

zedhed71
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 11 times

Post by zedhed71 »

Old jansen quad loaded with WGS ET65's and the mesa electradyne is a fantastic combination HUUUUGGE cleans!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Since using cab sims and hearing how nasty things sound with it turned off, I came to understand how the speaker filters out that stuff you would rather not hear.
thats where my problems started. Recording with podfarm my go to tone was slo with greenback 4x12...sounds great. Got some greenbacks to pair with my EVH expecting it to be in that ballpark, was NOTHING like it.....thus begun my only "tone" chasing phase

Pretty happy with what I have now (G85's pair with some kind of eminence speaker)...85 give a nice slightly scooped mid with big warm bottom end and the eminence give the upper "fizz" that works so well with this style of amp
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

GrantB wrote:
Hey Grant,
I have a Gold G10 in my Princeton, you're more than welcome to borrow it and A/B if you want to hear the differences.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Thumbs up from me for the Mesa 'Black Shadow' speakers. Sound a fair bit warmer and more balanced than a lot of others I've tried.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

null_pointer wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Hey Grant,
I have a Gold G10 in my Princeton, you're more than welcome to borrow it and A/B if you want to hear the differences.
Thanks for that - I have a nice AlNiCo in there...I'm jut wondering if the Neo's, due to their inherent design, are better in terms of response, clarity and bottom end. The Jensens look interesting.

Speaking of which, I know Steve, I have to get the AlNiCo Cream and the Blackbird tested and reported on. As soon as my new amp arrives we're in business.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

For Marshall, the cab setup I liked the most so far was a 1960b loaded with H30s. Was at The Manor when i had the JCM 2000 DSL100 and my 1960a loaded with 75s. Both the DSL and the Superbass sounded so, so much better with the H30 cab (some of it was the cab tho i think).

I have always defended 75s because so many guitarists have made great recordings using them, but perhaps if they used H30s.......I dunno.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote:
Speaking of which, I know Steve, I have to get the AlNiCo Cream and the Blackbird tested and reported on. As soon as my new amp arrives we're in business.
Delighted to relieve you of it if it's not to your likeing :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Just depends on the amp. Orange amps are designed and tested using V30s, so they generally sound great through them, any other speaker becomes a chase to change what you don't like about the sound and enhance what you do like.
Also depends on size and make of the cabinet and open/close back.
75s work great with JCM style Marshalls because that's what they're made for.
I love my Heritage Greenbacks in the EVH 4x12 though. Any other amp head I've tried (including the 5153 of course) sounds great through that cab, but I suspect the quality of the cab has a lot to do with it too.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:.

Steve, was looking for something else and found this: http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7270 Shows your Splawn cab.
Ah yes the Splawn. Built like a tank and just as heavy. Currently running either a pair of H75's or an H75 and a Scumback J
Was always a bit boomy but fixed now with some insulation on the back panel.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Primarily Marshall based amps for me, M75 Scumbacks have been the perfect compliment.
Found they also play nice with different types like Cornford & VHT.